moving

Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:22 am
Just Joined

scuttle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving

Hi all, we are moving out to adelaide in jan 2004, as we haven't got a lot of stuff, (partner is an aussie , so staying with her sister for starters) all we are taking are bare minimum, but to much for the plane, as i am a sparky, all my tools, and partner is a photogragher, so all her camera gear, which wieghs more than my tools!.........can anyone suggest a good moving company for a small shipment ( ie not a container)
thanks
Joe
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:28 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving

Originally posted by scuttle
Hi all, we are moving out to adelaide in jan 2004, as we haven't got a lot of stuff, (partner is an aussie , so staying with her sister for starters) all we are taking are bare minimum, but to much for the plane, as i am a sparky, all my tools, and partner is a photogragher, so all her camera gear, which wieghs more than my tools!.........can anyone suggest a good moving company for a small shipment ( ie not a container)
thanks
Joe
try www.excess-baggage.com ... MM
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not use Seven Seas. I had a nightmare. Do not use anyone using Megatop in OZ as an agent as they were part of the nightmare. I have put the post up before if you want to search for Seven Seas.

What you want done is possible using standard packing cartons. These can be airfreighted or shipped. The nightmare company above charged 80GBP for the first carton and 40GBP for each subsequent carton. That did not include insurance and was for sea shipment. There are other companies out there but I have no idea what the reputations are like.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Anglo Pacific will ship cartons. If you only take a few it can work out quite expensive but the more you take the cheaper it becomes. You can do a quick estimate on their site at http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/baggage/index.htm.

Alternatively, check with your airline as if only taking a bit extra it might be worth paying for an extra bag or two when you fly, (and fly via the US to get the 64kg baggage allowance each). When I checked a couple of months ago, Air New Zealand will let you take an additional bag up to 32 kilos for GBP150. They suggest sending additional baggage as air freight via a consolidator who charge LHR - AKL of GBP2.75/kilo, minimum 20 kilos, with a GBP45 document and handling fee.

Hope this helps,
Ben
Old Sep 8th 2003, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

scuttle is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for all the above advice guys.......i'll give them a go