Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Wikiposts

Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:46 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Originally Posted by ohippy
No idea where the thread is but, at the time, I cut and pasted into word. So here it is :
What items cannot be taken?
2. Queries over whether the following can be taken:
Lawn mower - was going to take ours, but looked at it and thought, can't be arsed to clean that - grass in so many places
Garden tools; clippers, strimmer, hedge cutter - they were cleaned and came

Wooden ornaments? - cleaned wooden planters & bird table
Barbecue? - that came (of course cleaned) it is gas and need a different adapter for gas cylinder - both the adapter & cylinder you can get at Bunnings

3. Do any items need steam cleaning eg. Children's bikes, golf clubs? we did not - lots of hard work in cold December
4. What advise do they give on taking; fridge, washer and dishwasher? - fridge, freezer & dishwasher sold with house -washer no probs besides it was a few months old and much prefer it to top loaders I have used in Oz. Also with growing family and more space a bigger fridge freezer suits our needs
5. What do people generally do in respect of beds, bedding cooking, as they arrive before their container? We treated ourselves to new king size bed, so purchased stuff here and got it delivered the day we moved into rental. Should have packed (in plane luggage) a good chopping knife, but bought cheapest items at Ikea - spent about $65. We also bought a patio set which was used as dining rm set, packaging was the sofa If you can send shipment a bit before you fly as it is easier to borrow stuff from friends in UK
6. Early shipment of goods possible? In particular;
How long does it take to get there? Depends on shippers, time of year, shared or sole container, and how long customs/quarrantine take - ours to Syd took 2.5mths, others have taken much longer

there are some answers to be going on with
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movers question and I just no that one of you will know the answer!!!!!!

Originally Posted by toon williams
We have got a couple of removal companies coming on Monday to give us quotes they are Doree Boner, John Mason and a little local man who was fantastic when he moved us in to this house!!

A while back, actually I think it was quite a while back there was a thread about things to ask when they come to give you a quote and try as hard as I have I cant find it!!

Anyone know where it is pleeeeeeese??

If not then please let me know questions I should be asking them to ensure I got everything covered!?!?!?!?!? I remember reading about hidden costs etc when stuff gets to Oz or something??!?
i seem to remember we were advised to ask who pays for the outside of the container to be cleaned if that's necessary when it comes off the ship in Oz?
when our stuff arrived, we found that our bikes, toolboxes and vacuum cleaner were the only things inspected by AQIS.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:01 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete jackson
The removal company will proberly tell you to use "Jays" fluid as it has a very strong smell this customs will notice and can tell you have tried to clean them. Pete
I hate the smell of Jeys

It reminds me of the smell when you walk through a subway, where people have been spending a penny
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I hate the smell of Jeys

It reminds me of the smell when you walk through a subway, where people have been spending a penny

I aksed Doree Bonner about that and they said it wasn't necessary at all and just made things really stink as the smell pervades the entire shipment.

Don't do it!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:30 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I aksed Doree Bonner about that and they said it wasn't necessary at all and just made things really stink as the smell pervades the entire shipment.

Don't do it!
Thank God!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Thank God!
He did suggest if we want to really clean things, some bicarb of soda in water is the best thing to use because it doesn't leave any smell. Can you imagine a whole load of stuff in a container all coming out smelling of Jeyes fluid. EVERYTHING? Ugh!

My ship has come in and my stuff is being delivered on Tuesday! Huzzah!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:18 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

read this.............. mm
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

i have some banana leaf furniture which obviously has to be dec;lared if i decide to take it, but do i have to do anything before leaving the uk, or just declare it when it gets there?

ta deb

just read further, need an import permit! any ideas where and how??

Last edited by debbiemc; Jun 30th 2006 at 9:11 am.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:53 am
Just Joined

worplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to allworplace is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toon williams
Many thanks for this, I didnt know that we cant take wicker!! Just been out and bought a wicker toy box for £50 quid!!! Bugger!!!!

Also just bought the whole family new bikes, at HUGE cost!! So will ensure they are scrubbbbbbed clean!!
Don't worry about the bikes. They will get through if you clean the thoroughly. We used Jeyes fluid on all our outdoor stuff, tools and my golf clubs. Apparently the customs guys take one whiff of the container and are happy!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by iPom
He did suggest if we want to really clean things, some bicarb of soda in water is the best thing to use because it doesn't leave any smell. Can you imagine a whole load of stuff in a container all coming out smelling of Jeyes fluid. EVERYTHING? Ugh!

My ship has come in and my stuff is being delivered on Tuesday! Huzzah!

Cool
Old Jun 30th 2006, 12:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worplace
Don't worry about the bikes. They will get through if you clean the thoroughly. We used Jeyes fluid on all our outdoor stuff, tools and my golf clubs. Apparently the customs guys take one whiff of the container and are happy!
im afraid AQIS will still inspect bike tyres,even if they smell disinfectant,also garden tools/furniture, fishing rods, golf clubs etc.
AUST CUSTOMS only get involved if some illegal situation occurs, they rely on what you write on your B534 form............... mm
Old Jun 30th 2006, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hi mr mover,

right, i'm working nights and have spent the past couple of hours going through the customs pages and am still no wiser!! any idea about banana leaf furniture and will it have to be declared lots a k if you can help please
Old Jun 30th 2006, 1:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hi mr mover,

right, i'm working nights and have spent the past couple of hours going through the customs pages and am still no wiser!! any idea about banana leaf furniture and will it have to be declared lots a k if you can help please
"mats, bags and other items made from plant material, palm fronds or leaves
straw products and packaging *
bamboo, cane or rattan basket ware and furnishings " These items have to be declared, what happens to them then is up to the AQIS inspector.
He could decide they have been treated enough,? or order they be irradiated and treated [costly]........good luck ............. mm
Old Jun 30th 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
"mats, bags and other items made from plant material, palm fronds or leaves
straw products and packaging *
bamboo, cane or rattan basket ware and furnishings " These items have to be declared, what happens to them then is up to the AQIS inspector.
He could decide they have been treated enough,? or order they be irradiated and treated [costly]........good luck ............. mm
thanks mr m, have gotta spread k sorry.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:51 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

JOhn Mason coming at 4pm today so anything else you can think of that I must ask that I may of forgotten about would be gratefully received!!!