Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Malaysian Airlines - Baggage

Malaysian Airlines - Baggage

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Malaysian Airlines - Baggage

Anyone recently flown with Malaysian know how rigid they are with baggage? 18 months since we flew with 'em last and was wondering if they were particularly anal about things like hand baggage and the like.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default Re: Malaysian Airlines - Baggage

I'd be interested in any replies to this as we're hoping to fly out to Brisbane in Sept and have been looking at air fares. Malaysian airlines seem to be quite competitive, but did wonder about how much luggage we'd be allowed.

Susan
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember people saying that they didn't offer extra allowance for emigration. Didn't matter to us as we only took 2 backpacks & a pushchair - though I can't remember them getting out the tape measure and scales for the hand luggage...
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 10:41 am
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

They definitely do not offer extra baggage allowance for emigrating. We've tried to get it by phone, e-mail and in person at their Manchester office but they won't budge.

We didn't have a lot of baggage when we flew with them last year, but we saw them forcing other people in the queue -- who were obviously *way* over their allowances -- to split their luggage between them and pay excesses. I don't think I'd risk being over by more than a couple of kilos.

On the second leg of the flight, however, there were lots of people with enormous amounts of hand luggage -- musical instruments etc -- that shouldn't really have been allowed.

That said, we're going business class this time so 30Kgs each should be enough.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Yeah, we tried too and they wont budge. I would not risk going overweight, as they will sting you for everything they can. Their flights are pretty cheap at the mo, so they have to make money somewhere !

Send it freight. www.excess-baggage.com. Someone posted on here they are at Heathrow for drop off. You get it a week later apparently. We are going to do this if we need to, but will prob just stick non-essentials in the container and wait the 2-3 months.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:01 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyone recently flown with Malaysian know how rigid they are with baggage? 18 months since we flew with 'em last and was wondering if they were particularly anal about things like hand baggage and the like.
Hutch,

When we flew with Malaysian in April, I remember we were quite surprised at what people were getting away with in terms of hand-baggage - most had those not-so-mini-hand-suitcase things and we saw some passengers struggling to squeeze their cases into the overhead lockers. Dave and I had no issues but passengers boarding later sometimes struggled to find space in the lockers above their seats!

Malaysian seemed to be stricter on checked-in baggage - we were over by a few kilos overall which wasn't a problem, but whilst we were queuing for check-in we did see a couple of passengers clearly getting rollocked for being over on their baggage and having to get their credit cards out. As long as you don't take the mickey, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Might be worth checking with Possums as she's recently flown with them too.

Nicky