Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moved to Oz but kept house in the UK

Moved to Oz but kept house in the UK

Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to Oz but kept house in the UK

Originally Posted by lollyno1
dont intend coming back for two years at least...just visits, if i can afford them...i know it will be tough... :scared:

an of course ill miss everything that seaton has to offer...but will miss redcar more...oh those views of the works..they're to die for...greasy chips, dirty beaches...starting to think why im going...
I'm going to drive around all the shiddy places where I live (spennymoor) with my video camera stuck on my dashboard and then I will be able to look at it every now and then and thank the good lord I'm not there anymore.

The trouble is I think my missus might look at it the other way round and think "aahhh I don't half miss those grimey back streets and terraced houses"

Jazzy
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, I just wondered if many (or any) people have emigrated to Oz but kept their house in the UK.

Have you rented a home in Oz and rented your house out in the UK?

Is it a sensible idea?

Just rambling thoughts really but I don't want to "wish I had kept the house in England" argument to crop up a few months after we move.

Cheers

Jazzy
personally you done the right thing, kept your house on.....

wishi'd done it. infact with all of them
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
personally you done the right thing, kept your house on.....

wishi'd done it. infact with all of them
I haven't actually made a decision either way yet because my application is only in the development state at the moment. I'm just thinking ahead.

Trouble is how do I get a house in Oz if I don't have any cash from selling the house I have in the UK?

Jazzy
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

We kept the house in the UK. We're not planning on selling it until we retire, then using the money as our pension. It also gives a nice fall back position if everything does screw up here. NOT that we're planning on using it! But we're lucky enough to be young enough and not have the kids that means we can start again on the property ladder here.

Middlesbrough to Oz via Crawley for me. I love Oz to bits, but if I ever go back to the UK, it won't be to Crawley. Middlesbrough would come close to a good choice though - if only for the Boro. I nearly splashed out $25 on a fake boro top today. Pretty good quality too!
Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: Moved to Oz but kept house in the UK

Originally Posted by thribble
We kept the house in the UK. We're not planning on selling it until we retire, then using the money as our pension. It also gives a nice fall back position if everything does screw up here. NOT that we're planning on using it! But we're lucky enough to be young enough and not have the kids that means we can start again on the property ladder here.

Middlesbrough to Oz via Crawley for me. I love Oz to bits, but if I ever go back to the UK, it won't be to Crawley. Middlesbrough would come close to a good choice though - if only for the Boro. I nearly splashed out $25 on a fake boro top today. Pretty good quality too!
I'm suprised that they bother to make fake boro tops to be honest, you've only got about 30000 fans worldwide haven't ya! Only Joking

I used to live in Northside, melbourne and thought it was aarrlreet.

Jazzy
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:59 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I just wondered if many (or any) people have emigrated to Oz but kept their house in the UK.

Is it a sensible idea?

Just rambling thoughts really but I don't want to "wish I had kept the house in England" argument to crop up a few months after we move.

Cheers

Jazzy
You have done the wise thing. If OZ doesn't work for you then you will have a home to go back to. If it does work for you, you have an ongoing investment that will accrue in value.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble

ill bring u the real thing when i get over...will have a new one by then as we gonna win the uefa AND FA cup. lol
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to drive around all the shiddy places where I live (spennymoor) with my video camera stuck on my dashboard and then I will be able to look at it every now and then and thank the good lord I'm not there anymore.

The trouble is I think my missus might look at it the other way round and think "aahhh I don't half miss those grimey back streets and terraced houses"

Jazzy
oh i live in a posh part of middlesbrough...hemlington...lol yep got a nice lake out back though...when its not full of shopping trolleys and burnt out cars...

oops maybe shouldnt have added the thing about the cars, trollys im trying to selll :scared:

Last edited by lollyno1; Apr 9th 2006 at 11:51 am.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:33 am
Merlin

I knew a guy who did it - he played in a band with me.
Year after year, the exchange rate from the pound to the AUdollar went
up and up and up, so soon he was getting way more than he needed every
month.

Every month he would buy a couple more collectable guitars...

Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
ill bring u the real thing when i get over...will have a new one by then as we gonna win the uefa AND FA cup. lol
Uefa would do me!! If I can find somewhere in Melbourne that's showing it...
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

sinsbury family will become famous soon enough

We didn`t need themoney but decided to sell up.Then again if we had stayed in the UK we would have moved to a bigger house anyhow. Bear in mind that the new sellers pack being introduced by 2 jags will be brought in i believe next year so presumably you will need to organise that from OZ

The housing market is still quite buoyant down in Sussex. Put house on market on Wednesday and sold on Thursday.

Good luck on which way you go.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:47 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sinsbury family
We didn`t need themoney but decided to sell up.Then again if we had stayed in the UK we would have moved to a bigger house anyhow. Bear in mind that the new sellers pack being introduced by 2 jags will be brought in i believe next year so presumably you will need to organise that from OZ

The housing market is still quite buoyant down in Sussex. Put house on market on Wednesday and sold on Thursday.

Good luck on which way you go.
What is 2 jags and sellers pack?

Ljj
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

sinsbury family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ljj
What is 2 jags and sellers pack?

Ljj

Sorry 2 Jags is the nickname for the Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.

Here is a link to a BBc story that will explain what the sellers pack is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3240004.stm
Old Apr 10th 2006, 1:07 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it a sensible idea?

Cheers

Jazzy
we done the same
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mattvicki
Hi Jazzy,

We are doing the same, as we don't know if we will stay.
*I believe* you should get the property valued before you leave because if you do sell up in a few years you will be liable to pay capital gains tax on any profit you make on the sale over the value it is at when you start to rent it out.
I think you have some thing like a year to sell it after emmigrating without incuring any CGT but it would be worth checking with an IFA.

Good Luck....we are still treading through the murky waters of Overseas landlord scheme tax deductions etc...great fun!!

Matt
Hi there,
I've just been on the phone this evening to the the tax office in Liverpool. I asked whether if we rented the house out in the UK when we went to Australia we would be liable for Capital Gains when we sold the house. He said that the date you become liable for Capital Gains depends on how long you lived in the property before you rented it out. I said that we would probably rent ours out for about 4 years having lived in it for 5 years. He said that we would not be liable for Capital Gains after the 4 years. However if we were to rent it out for 10 years we would be liable.I asked what amount capital gains was calculated on - he said the difference between when you bought it (note not when you started to rent it out - I guess it would be difficult to pin down this figure anyway) to when you sold it. Another thing he said was that the capital gains you may be liable for in the UK was NOT dependent on whether you bought or not in Oz. I thought that by buying in Oz I would make myself more liable for Capital Gains since the UK home would no longer be my only property. This is not the case, since the UK home would cease to be my main residence as soon as I ceased to be a UK resident. Hope this is of help to someone. the hmrc website is quite useful. the forms IR283 and IR279 should give more detailed info on how much Capital Gains you can expect to pay.
Cheers