Reload this Page >

Moved To Manly, drink anyone?

Moved To Manly, drink anyone?

Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:38 am
Just Joined

manlymonkeys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved To Manly, drink anyone?

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to Manly from Reading, Berkshire with my girlfriend. Yes, I'm in IT but hold that against me!

We got the apartment sorted and wondering if anyone had any advice on meeting people, clubs to join, and places to go in Manly.

Would love to hear from you and sup a couple of beers!

Cheers
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:05 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moved To Manly, drink anyone?

Originally Posted by manlymonkeys
Hi everyone,

I've just moved to Manly from Reading, Berkshire with my girlfriend. Yes, I'm in IT but hold that against me!

We got the apartment sorted and wondering if anyone had any advice on meeting people, clubs to join, and places to go in Manly.

Cheers
Welcome to Manly. Hope you're settling in.
A suggestion for meeting people would be to join one of the SLSCs on the beach, if that's your sort of thing. Also keep an eye out on the forum for the Sydney expats meets.

For places to go in Manly, these are some of our suggestions.
Outside at the Wharf is good for sundowners. The Bar King Frog is fun in the evening if you like the tunes.
There's lots of decent restaurant/cafes, try Bluewater for better than average and Jellyfish for top nosh. Get your fish and chips from Manly Fish Market and sit and eat them on the sea front.
Dripping Wet is the place for boards and hire, but some of the staff are better informed than others.
Shelly beach is great for a snorkel or easy dive, just mind the jellies at the mo, they do sting a few days later!

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Where abouts in Reading were you from? My sister is in Tilehurst.
Have you got a job in IT yet? I work locally for a large company, in an IT dept of 20+. If you're after a job I could give you a name.

Cheers for now, JnC.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Manly Gashead is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moved To Manly, drink anyone?

Welcome to God's Country!

The Northern Beaches is a great place to live in Sydney, especially if you love the outdoors - the beautiful beaches (and people!) from Manly all the way up to Palm Beach, surfing (learn to surf schools at Manly and Palm beach), snorkelling (Shelley), kayaking (Manly, Narrabeen lakes), sailing, some great golf courses (public courses at Long Reef, Mona Vale, Warringah), fishing, beach volleyball, some great walks and picnic spots - Quarantine Station, Baronjoey Lighthouse, Ku-Ring-Ai National Park........

Some great restaurants and drinking spots in Manly include Cerutti's (italian), Phoenix (Chinese / Yum Cha), Bluewater and the new Whitewater (Modern Australian), Indian Pearl for a decent curry, Izumi (Japanese), Ribs n Rump for a juicy steak, Four olives for a great brekkie and many many more.
For pubs the Wharf bar, Aqua or the upstairs bar in the Steyne are the upmarket options, if you prefer spit and sawdust type places with sport then it's the Ivanhoe or downstairs in the Steyne. My personal fave has to be the Manly Boatshed for live music and comedy or a night people watching - the place is full of harmless eccentrics!
Feel free to PM me if you need any further info!
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by manlymonkeys
Hi everyone,

Cheers
hi,
we are also fairly new to the area, we live in frenchs forest about 15 mins from Manly. We looked at dragon boat racing at manly, this was great fun, but we couldnt always make the training days, looked very sociable though!
We are up for meeting for a few beers, pm us if you want!
Have you seen the other post about meeting for a drink on the 3rd Dec by Alan and Sonia?
hope your settling in well
Fiona and Nick
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:55 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Manly Gashead
the new Whitewater (Modern Australian)
Have you been? It looks interesting, a bit different to the rest of the places along the front. Might consider it for wedding anniversary, but 'Le Kiosk' may be more anniversaryish.
Where's the boatshed, haven't found that one yet. My first introduction to drinking holes in Manly was at the Fishos. The only reason to go there is the snooker tables, oh and Dallas Crane are apparently playing in December?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Welcome to Manly. Hope you're settling in.
A suggestion for meeting people would be to join one of the SLSCs on the beach, if that's your sort of thing. Also keep an eye out on the forum for the Sydney expats meets.

For places to go in Manly, these are some of our suggestions.
Outside at the Wharf is good for sundowners. The Bar King Frog is fun in the evening if you like the tunes.
There's lots of decent restaurant/cafes, try Bluewater for better than average and Jellyfish for top nosh. Get your fish and chips from Manly Fish Market and sit and eat them on the sea front.
Dripping Wet is the place for boards and hire, but some of the staff are better informed than others.
Shelly beach is great for a snorkel or easy dive, just mind the jellies at the mo, they do sting a few days later!

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Where abouts in Reading were you from? My sister is in Tilehurst.
Have you got a job in IT yet? I work locally for a large company, in an IT dept of 20+. If you're after a job I could give you a name.

Cheers for now, JnC.
Thanks J &C..

We're from the University area, off Christchurch Road. I've got a job in IT at the moment, but thanks for the mention, much appreciated.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by igual
hi,
we are also fairly new to the area, we live in frenchs forest about 15 mins from Manly. We looked at dragon boat racing at manly, this was great fun, but we couldnt always make the training days, looked very sociable though!
We are up for meeting for a few beers, pm us if you want!
Have you seen the other post about meeting for a drink on the 3rd Dec by Alan and Sonia?
hope your settling in well
Fiona and Nick
Hi Fiona and Nick,

Yes, settling in pretty well, looking forward to meeting up for a few drinks in a couple of weeks. Will look into the dragon racing. Send me a PM if you want to meet up beforehand!