Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Sydney,kids ,dogs schools etc help

Move to Sydney,kids ,dogs schools etc help

Old May 27th 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

possumpink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Sydney,kids ,dogs schools etc help

My husband has been offered a job in the Auburn area of Sydney and my head is spinning !!
I have a few problems that I would love some help on......

We don't know where to focus our house search.
He would like to be around 30 min drive from work.
We have 2 children (10 and11 ) and would like to be near good possibly private schools.
Also we are bringing our 2 dogs so need some nice green dog friendly places nearby.

Additionaly the other problem we have is renting a place that will allow dogs.Leaving them back in the UK is not an option .Any advice on this issue also very welcome.

Thanks
Old May 27th 2011, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Re: Move to Sydney,kids ,dogs schools etc help

Good Luck.....your message brings back all of the momories of our own move (with cat) from UK in January.

With regardns your dogs, there is no doubt that you will be more limited in your choice of rentals. We were fortuate to have found a house where the owner had a cat herself so she was fine with ours. Dogs, I think may be more of a problem, but I'm sure you will find somewhere.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

If you look at Auburn on Googlemaps, and you glance to the East of it, you find a pocket called Canada Bay Council. It include areas like Concord, Wareemba, Five Dock, Russel Lee, Drummoyne, Abbottsford and (probably outside the council area) Haberfield. They are areas on my patch and we love it here. My child is not in school yet, but I hear very good reports about the schools, state, Catholic or private. And we are surrounded by parks and water, very dog friendly, even a dog cafe (I kid you not) in Timbrell Park. Auburn itself is fine enough to work in, I would not necessarily live there myself. He can drive there easily from the areas I mentioned. Go on the Canada Bay Council website and see if they list schools and start looking into them. Dont stress, lots of expats around here and we love it.

ps. if I was you, I would book into fully furnished, serviced apartments nearby for about 3 weeks, while looking at and securing a rental house. Arrange so that the dogs come over a months after you, so you have everything sorted for them. Here is a absolute gem near us. Very central for the area and your husbands work, lots of shops and parks nearby. http://www.drummoyne-serviced-apartments.com.au/

Last edited by rozellem; May 27th 2011 at 11:56 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rozellem
If you look at Auburn on Googlemaps, and you glance to the East of it, you find a pocket called Canada Bay Council. It include areas like Concord, Wareemba, Five Dock, Russel Lee, Drummoyne, Abbottsford and (probably outside the council area) Haberfield. They are areas on my patch and we love it here. My child is not in school yet, but I hear very good reports about the schools, state, Catholic or private. And we are surrounded by parks and water, very dog friendly, even a dog cafe (I kid you not) in Timbrell Park. Auburn itself is fine enough to work in, I would not necessarily live there myself. He can drive there easily from the areas I mentioned. Go on the Canada Bay Council website and see if they list schools and start looking into them. Dont stress, lots of expats around here and we love it.

ps. if I was you, I would book into fully furnished, serviced apartments nearby for about 3 weeks, while looking at and securing a rental house. Arrange so that the dogs come over a months after you, so you have everything sorted for them. Here is a absolute gem near us. Very central for the area and your husbands work, lots of shops and parks nearby. http://www.drummoyne-serviced-apartments.com.au/

I second the above. I live in one of the mentioned suburbs even though we are looking to move to Brisbane, we really like the area.

It is close to places like Burwood, and Ashfield. It's not too far from the city and is close to Auburn.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Auburn. The "motto" for the Auburn suburb is "many cultures, one community", take from that what you will but I like to think of it as "spot the whitey". There are none.....which is fine if you are not a whitey. The area is a bit shitty with lots of apartments.

The schools in the area are really good (11 year old we have)

I have found the Canada Bay area to be not bad dog wise. We rent and have 2 dogs and our landlord has no problem with them being inside or anything. When are you looking at arriving???? We are hoping to move to Brisbane soon so maybe you could just move into ours LOL. We are just up the road from Timbrell park.

Anyway, good luck with the move. If you need any further information just send me a message....happy to help
Old May 28th 2011, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bananalana
I second the above. I live in one of the mentioned suburbs even though we are looking to move to Brisbane, we really like the area.

It is close to places like Burwood, and Ashfield. It's not too far from the city and is close to Auburn.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Auburn. The "motto" for the Auburn suburb is "many cultures, one community", take from that what you will but I like to think of it as "spot the whitey". There are none.....which is fine if you are not a whitey. The area is a bit shitty with lots of apartments.

I have found the Canada Bay area to be not bad dog wise. We rent and have 2 dogs and our landlord has no problem with them being inside or anything. When are you looking at arriving???? We are hoping to move to Brisbane soon so maybe you could just move into ours LOL. We are just up the road from Timbrell park.

Anyway, good luck with the move. If you need any further information just send me a message....happy to help
Thanks .
Old May 28th 2011, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bananalana

Thanks very helpful.
Old May 29th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

That should say the schools in the canada bay area are really good...it looks like I am talking about the Auburn schools but I dont know anything about them
Old May 30th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

The advice re Canada Bay Council area is spot on. Five Dock in particular is a lovely area.

Depending on your budget, you could also consider the Lower North Shore.
I live in Killara and I get to work in Lidcombe (next door to Auburn) in 35 minutes in the morning, about 40 minutes in the evening.

Killara High School is very highly rated, although my daughter goes to SCECGS Redlands which is a private (fee paying) school.

Lidcombe/Auburn OK to work in, but definitely NOT live! Auburn used to be the "murder capital" of NSW! Mainly one drug dealer versus another, absoloutely no issue for the regular public.

Good Luck.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about the commute to Auburn but I can also confirm that the Lower North Shore is a great kid and dog friendly area. We lived in Killara and when we return to Oz my kids will be going to Killara High (not private but excellent). The area is littered with excellent primary schools too. It's not cheap but does tick all of your boxes if the commute is within an acceptable range for you.

What is your timeline for moving?
Good luck!!
Old May 31st 2011, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killerhales
The advice re Canada Bay Council area is spot on. Five Dock in particular is a lovely area.

Depending on your budget, you could also consider the Lower North Shore.
I live in Killara and I get to work in Lidcombe (next door to Auburn) in 35 minutes in the morning, about 40 minutes in the evening.

Killara High School is very highly rated, although my daughter goes to SCECGS Redlands which is a private (fee paying) school.

Lidcombe/Auburn OK to work in, but definitely NOT live! Auburn used to be the "murder capital" of NSW! Mainly one drug dealer versus another, absoloutely no issue for the regular public.

Good Luck.
Snaps for Five Dock!

If we didnt want to move to Brissy I dont think we would leave FD...nice and central