Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A move to Perth??

A move to Perth??

Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about
Default A move to Perth??

Hi everyone,

We emigrated to Australia 6 weeks ago now and currently stay with relatives in South East Queensland. After spending weeks behind the laptop searching and applying for jobs we are now looking at making the move over to Perth as I have secured a job on one of the mines in WA and to be honest nothing much has come up over this neck of the woods.

Having spent only a couple of days over in Perth I must be honest and say that we much prefer the East coast although well aware a couple of days isn't really much time for a fair assessment. We now need to decide on whether to play safe and go to Perth or hold out for something in QLD.

Please can we have some advise on what Perth is like as a place to live for a "young" childless couple and any recommendations for the best suburbs. We are looking for somewhere that is fairly cosmopolitan, close to bars and restaurants, safe and with easy access to the city and all this for around the $650k mark.

Thanks, Lance & Lisa
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:48 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A move to Perth??

IMHO...stay where you are and stick it out. Surely something will turn up eventually for you both. It's still early days.

If you are a childless young couple then being stuck in the outer suburbs here will drive you mental if you like a buzzy kind of place to live. Living closer to the city would be much better....if you have a load of cash!!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:17 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance
Hi everyone,

We emigrated to Australia 6 weeks ago now and currently stay with relatives in South East Queensland. After spending weeks behind the laptop searching and applying for jobs we are now looking at making the move over to Perth as I have secured a job on one of the mines in WA and to be honest nothing much has come up over this neck of the woods.

Having spent only a couple of days over in Perth I must be honest and say that we much prefer the East coast although well aware a couple of days isn't really much time for a fair assessment. We now need to decide on whether to play safe and go to Perth or hold out for something in QLD.

Please can we have some advise on what Perth is like as a place to live for a "young" childless couple and any recommendations for the best suburbs. We are looking for somewhere that is fairly cosmopolitan, close to bars and restaurants, safe and with easy access to the city and all this for around the $650k mark.

Thanks, Lance & Lisa
Subiaco, Leederville, Floreat are all great for a childless couple Freo's really nice too. I also liked Victoria Park
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Subiaco, Leederville, Floreat are all great for a childless couple Freo's really nice too. I also liked Victoria Park
I think Vic Park would be the only one in their price range.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:35 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think Vic Park would be the only one in their price range.
Depends what you are after - plenty of units and town houses in their price range.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the comments,

Have had a look at the suburbs you mentioned and they look like the type of area we're looking for, Subi maybe a bit out of our price range though.

Do you have any idea what the mozzy / fly situation is in these areas being fairly close to Herdman lake.

Also is Perth classed as a "safe city" for going out in the evenings etc. The wife will be going out on the razz while I'm away...ha ha!!!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:02 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Flies/mossies much of a muchness - snakes abound around Herdsmans though!! BUT if you are looking at units around Herdsmans - think again. I always think its a rather desolate area. Souless, with one horrid looking pub. There's a fantastic supermarket......... but other than that, probably best to avoid.

Have a look at Mount Hawthorn, Leederville, even Shenton Park, I like Viccy Park - it's got a good vibe and a lively high street. Cafes/ restaurants etc.

Good luck!

I'd say Perth was safe - although I'd avoid some parts of Northbridge on a Friday or Saturday night.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:54 pm
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by webgum
Flies/mossies much of a muchness - snakes abound around Herdsmans though!! BUT if you are looking at units around Herdsmans - think again. I always think its a rather desolate area. Souless, with one horrid looking pub. There's a fantastic supermarket......... but other than that, probably best to avoid.

Have a look at Mount Hawthorn, Leederville, even Shenton Park, I like Viccy Park - it's got a good vibe and a lively high street. Cafes/ restaurants etc.

Good luck!

I'd say Perth was safe - although I'd avoid some parts of Northbridge on a Friday or Saturday night.
I'd agree with webgum. I work in Subi - not noticed any mossies. Leederville is close to subi and is within your price bracket. I feel fine out with friends in Subi but don't go into town regularly so only a snapshot of the area at night.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Northern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to allNorthern-Monkey is a name known to all

We are a young childless couple living in perth, we actually live in the northern suburbs (kinross) but we live 5 mins walk from the train station we go out every weekend to leederville, northbridge, suby all over, the trains run regular and late and we have the best of both worlds quite place to live but access to bars , granted some places lack the atmosphere but we have never had to que for a bar or a drink which was one of the things we complained about in the uk.

We are a bit thin on the ground here though most of our friends are older couples with older kids we have yet to meet a young childless couple I cant comment on queensland but we love it here and we are happy you have just got to get out there.

and live near a train station.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sme
I'd agree with webgum. I work in Subi - not noticed any mossies. Leederville is close to subi and is within your price bracket. I feel fine out with friends in Subi but don't go into town regularly so only a snapshot of the area at night.
Hi,
Just notcied you are a nurse working in Subiaco... myself and the OH are moving out there to work in Subiaco next month at the Institute of Child health.. seemed like a very nice place when we visited last year.. looking forward to the change of scenary.

Cheers

Chris
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Alfano's is an unknown quantity at this point

[We are a bit thin on the ground here though most of our friends are older couples with older kids we have yet to meet a young childless couple I cant comment on queensland but we love it here and we are happy you have just got to get out there.}

We are childless and still under 40 does that count!!
Been here (Connolly) just under 2 months If you fancy getting together at sometime
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:40 am
Just Joined

rubyrooney is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A move to Perth??

Stay put is my advice. We have lived in Perth for 9 months and are thinking of relocating to the East Coast. Perth is great - if you have kids or are retired and we dont. There is no buzz or atmosphere here and a distinct lack of bars and restaurants. House prices are hugely inflated and you really wont get much for $650k. If you do want to move and be close to restaurants the only place is Subiaco. Perth City hasnt much to offer in our opinion and we dont go there unless we have to. We are coming to Brisbane in June to have a look around - any advice on good suburbs around the Gold Coast area??
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

We are currently staying in Cleveland which is south of Brisbane and is in Redlandshire. It is a nice town but is very quiet and about an hour on the train to Brisbane (the last stop!!). There are a few restaurants in Cleveland but no bars etc so you would have to go to Brisbane for that. If we were staying over this side we would move nearer to the city. We havent really looked into that yet!! Brisbane is a lovely city with lots going on.

As for the Gold Coast we're not sure as we have only visited for the day but it seems a great place to live if you can get work there (depends what kind of work you do - I work in Marketing so would need to be near a city).

Good luck!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Leederville or Subiaco would offer you a glimmer of what you seek, although Fremantle would be the better option.

All "very" pricey now, but if you're up the mines cash shouldn't be an issue.

The mines usually do a 3 on 1 off (weeks) work pattern. Personally my wife wouldn't wear it, despite the huge cash rewards on offer up there.

We came to Australia as a family and the mines would rip us apart.

My advice ... stick it out bro.

Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
The mines usually do a 3 on 1 off (weeks) work pattern. Personally my wife wouldn't wear it, despite the huge cash rewards on offer up there.
Go on, I'm sure she'll be OK, lots of ladies driving the dump trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.