Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

move to Penrith way - West of Sydney

move to Penrith way - West of Sydney

Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Smile move to Penrith way - West of Sydney

hi everyone,

living in Perth currently and have been for almost 6 months - we are considering a move to sydney but no way can afford to live where i would like (bondi, coogee, randwick, etc...) and was wondering what it was like out west - like penrith way - not parramatta - closer to the mountains.. I lived in bondi for 18 months a while back and ventured to the bluey's a couple times and loved it but is it a bit far out from city centre?

ta very much,

Lisa xx
Old Mar 14th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of
Default Re: move to Penrith way - West of Sydney

I've heard Penrith gets pretty hot. If you're going to live that far out you might as well move up the hill to the lower Blue Mountains, places like Springwood, where it's cooler and greener, and not much further to travel. Alternatively, places like Richmond and Windsor are really nice, and have train links too.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Brecht G is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Penrith a safe area to live in?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
hi everyone,

living in Perth currently and have been for almost 6 months - we are considering a move to sydney but no way can afford to live where i would like (bondi, coogee, randwick, etc...) and was wondering what it was like out west - like penrith way - not parramatta - closer to the mountains.. I lived in bondi for 18 months a while back and ventured to the bluey's a couple times and loved it but is it a bit far out from city centre?

ta very much,

Lisa xx
It does get very hot out there in the summer, and you don't benefit from the sea breezes. Some of the inner west suburbs might be worth looking at, e.g. Leiichhardt, Petersham, Marrickville, etc (not sure what the property prices are like though)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Jackaroo is in Richmond, she'll know
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by michael_w
I've heard Penrith gets pretty hot. If you're going to live that far out you might as well move up the hill to the lower Blue Mountains, places like Springwood, where it's cooler and greener, and not much further to travel. Alternatively, places like Richmond and Windsor are really nice, and have train links too.
cooler and greener sounds good - I can't be doing with hot esp after Perth's hottest summer in 30 yrs!

we have a friend we visited in blaxland and although seemed quite remote it didn't take that long to get to the city (maybe it was his driving!?) or do you think it would be too far to commute?

springwood sounds nice.. i'll have a look into it

appreciate the replies..
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

cooler and greener sounds good - I can't be doing with hot esp after Perth's hottest summer in 30 yrs!

we have a friend we visited in blaxland and although seemed quite remote it didn't take that long to get to the city (maybe it was his driving!?) or do you think it would be too far to commute?

springwood sounds nice.. i'll have a look into it

appreciate the replies..
If you did fancy the blue mountains it might be worth looking for jobs (depending on what you do) based at parramatta or homebush (as quite a lot of big companies have offices out that way)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickUK
If you did fancy the blue mountains it might be worth looking for jobs (depending on what you do) based at parramatta or homebush (as quite a lot of big companies have offices out that way)
not a bad idea.. hubby is a jeweller - so may even find some little jewellery shop in the blue mountains.. I am a PA but have an environmental science degree that I'm chomping at the bit to use!

how long does it take on the train from springwood to sydney?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

not a bad idea.. hubby is a jeweller - so may even find some little jewellery shop in the blue mountains.. I am a PA but have an environmental science degree that I'm chomping at the bit to use!

how long does it take on the train from springwood to sydney?
on the train would be about 1.5 hrs during the week I reckon (frequency probably running a couple an hour). parramatta is about 0.5 hr from the CBD
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

where do you live? do you rent/buy?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

where do you live? do you rent/buy?
I rent close to the CBD - which suits, as I don't need a car (so saves a bit of cash). When I moved across I sold my place in the UK, and I was planning on buying, but the interest rates are just far too high (now double what my fixed rate mortgage used to be in the UK)
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

seljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we are thinking about Richmond Windsor area, who is Mrs Jackaroo?

Selena
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Blue Mts are a lovely part of NSW, though a fair way from Sydney CBD. I have friends that live at Penrith, relatives at Lapstone and colleagues at Springwood and they love where they live. Train lines do have express services to city and even better if you can work in Penrith or Parra region for commuting ease. Best of luck