Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move from Peel / Rockingham to Perth??? Schools and differences.

Move from Peel / Rockingham to Perth??? Schools and differences.

Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Move from Peel / Rockingham to Perth??? Schools and differences.

I just wondered if there was anyone on here that has moved from Rockingham / Peel region up to Perth.

We were thinking of moving back to the UK but after a quick trip back and some work turning up for hubby (company training him up to) we are here for a while longer (probably end up being one of those Pom's that is about to go home and 20 years later still here!).

Hubby is working in Perth and has to do early shifts and lates 3 times a week and 2 normal days (Bus journey 30 mins, train 45, walk 20 mins - driving takes 45 mins). At the moment we have just the one car. Our rental is positioned a darn good walk if it's raining or boiling hot from school and I'm without the car due to the start or finish time for hubby)

Our options are

1) when rental runs out in Sept move to Perth and stick to one car.
2) hubby continues to commute and he won't be getting home until very late or leaving very early. We will also need a 2nd car.

We anticipate this job being for at least 12-18 months before we find out where he will be relocated to (could be Perth, or Perth South) or interstate, overseas or he might just have to move on because they aren't sticking to there word etc.

I've always been a bit concerned with the schooling down here. I know it is different from the UK and I am past comparing to UK after my recent trip back. The messages coming out from our principal is that there is some catching up to do for the school with the rest of Aus and that WA's literacy and numeracy is behind. I have looked at some school near Perth and the scores to appear to be better but I wondered if anyone has had experience of moving closer to Perth and the school system. Although we are only 45 mins from Perth I'm told that the schools find it hard to recruit experienced teachers down here.

We have also been here 3 years and it can feel a bit flat and ground hog day so the change might be something to inject some energy into our lives.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Poppet
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Move from Peel / Rockingham to Perth??? Schools and differences.

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I just wondered if there was anyone on here that has moved from Rockingham / Peel region up to Perth.

We were thinking of moving back to the UK but after a quick trip back and some work turning up for hubby (company training him up to) we are here for a while longer (probably end up being one of those Pom's that is about to go home and 20 years later still here!).

Hubby is working in Perth and has to do early shifts and lates 3 times a week and 2 normal days (Bus journey 30 mins, train 45, walk 20 mins - driving takes 45 mins). At the moment we have just the one car. Our rental is positioned a darn good walk if it's raining or boiling hot from school and I'm without the car due to the start or finish time for hubby)

Our options are

1) when rental runs out in Sept move to Perth and stick to one car.
2) hubby continues to commute and he won't be getting home until very late or leaving very early. We will also need a 2nd car.

We anticipate this job being for at least 12-18 months before we find out where he will be relocated to (could be Perth, or Perth South) or interstate, overseas or he might just have to move on because they aren't sticking to there word etc.

I've always been a bit concerned with the schooling down here. I know it is different from the UK and I am past comparing to UK after my recent trip back. The messages coming out from our principal is that there is some catching up to do for the school with the rest of Aus and that WA's literacy and numeracy is behind. I have looked at some school near Perth and the scores to appear to be better but I wondered if anyone has had experience of moving closer to Perth and the school system. Although we are only 45 mins from Perth I'm told that the schools find it hard to recruit experienced teachers down here.

We have also been here 3 years and it can feel a bit flat and ground hog day so the change might be something to inject some energy into our lives.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Poppet
p.s we would be renting in Perth and not buying.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Move from Peel / Rockingham to Perth??? Schools and differences.

Can anyone suggest areas very close to Perth to look at and ones to avoid. Thanks