Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to Oz realistic?

Move to Oz realistic?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

ktierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nice
Default Move to Oz realistic?

Ok so basically I am mid-20s, work in the UK as an Online Marketing Manager earning around £30,000 GBP.

I have however just been offered a similar role in Sydney paying $70,000 AUD. This came around quite suddenly and so I have no savings, however the company will pay for our visa, flights and 1 months accomodation when we arrive.

My girlfirend would also be looking to move (she also works in marketing - £20,000 salary) although wouldnt have a job on arrival so any guidance on chances of her finding work would be great.

The real question relates to quality of life - what sort of life could we lead in Sydney? Although I wouldnt expect to live the life of a celebrity, I also wouldnt want to be living on the bread-line so would appreciate any guidance/experience.

Also, are there any other benefits of moving to Oz to help top up my salary?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Oz realistic?

It would be a bit tight at first, but once your OH is working it should be perfectly manageable for a young couple with no responsibilities. You would be looking at a one bed unit I think.

You can ask your employer about LAFHA, it will reduce your tax burden.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You can ask your employer about LAFHA, it will reduce your tax burden.
Which for those learners = Living Away From Home Allowance

Try looking on realestate.com.au for rental properties. You've said Sydney but if you give a more specific idea of where work will be, there may be people who can help with suburbs/areas to look to commute from etc.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd have a go! Do you have a home in the UK? Would this rent out? Presuming you're looking at a 457 Temporary Sponsored visa?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Your Oz wage is about the same as your Uk salary. You don't say where you live in the Uk so you may find that you have less money as Australian rental prices can be quite high.

Lahfa will certainly help as you would have rent and food allowance that isn't taxable.

Your girlfriend should be able to get a job although this would need to be researched.
Your young so if it was me I would do the calculations and as long as I wasn't on the bread line go for it.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktierney
Ok so basically I am mid-20s, work in the UK as an Online Marketing Manager earning around £30,000 GBP.

I have however just been offered a similar role in Sydney paying $70,000 AUD. This came around quite suddenly and so I have no savings, however the company will pay for our visa, flights and 1 months accomodation when we arrive.

My girlfirend would also be looking to move (she also works in marketing - £20,000 salary) although wouldnt have a job on arrival so any guidance on chances of her finding work would be great.

The real question relates to quality of life - what sort of life could we lead in Sydney? Although I wouldnt expect to live the life of a celebrity, I also wouldnt want to be living on the bread-line so would appreciate any guidance/experience.

Would your girlfriend qualify for a visa?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 12:57 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

WHV yes!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
WHV yes!
How do you know? Maybe the girlfriend has already used her WHV. Or maybe she's older and over 31.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Sydney has the least affordable housing on the planet, but in your shoes I would still go for it!!

I've lived here for around six years, I love it (I am returning to the UK in a year or so but not because of any major problems here)

Others have mentioned LAFHA. Check with your employer about this. I work for one of the best employers in Sydney but they hate to do this and in one case I am aware of resisted to the point where the potential recipient and his boss (me) gave up. It's worth a fair bit.

$70k is a low wage, but as long as your girlfriend can get reasonably paid work you will be OK financially.

I have a couple of people on the same kind of money and they get by OK with an active (if not expensive) social life.

You won't be living in a swanky suburb but at your age I'm assuming you won't be spending too much time sitting on the porch at home!

And if a couple of years go by, and it hasn't worked out the way you wanted, what the hell, you've had a significant life experience and you can go home.

Good Luck!!

Come back with more questions before/after your decision.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Oh, I forgot, loads of UK marketing people in work here, particularly in my company, anyone half decent should stand a reasonable chance of getting a job (in my humble opinion).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Really, in my view it's the things that you don't do in life that you regret - you've been given an opportunity so grab it!!

What's the downside? You give it a few years and it doesn't work out? So move back to the UK. What's the upside? You love it and have an awesome adventure exploring and living in another part of the world.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Today's throwaway comment as the title of the thread is so open-ended..

Nowadays a move to Australia is not for Mr Average. Lots of things have to be right - or in place before you go. It's hard, and I personally would not do it now - due to house prices. The price increases people talk about in some cases can be absorbed. I only recommend Australia to particular migrants who have very particular or niche requirements and can meet them.

Actually I reckon 30-70 translates quite well. More churlishly, you might struggle on both salaries depending on the size of your housing cost in the UK and here.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ktierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nicektierney is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated!

Yes I forgot to mention that we would be eligible for LAFHA - though not sure how much this is worth? Also my girlfriend would also be on my visa.

Not too fussed about where we live - so long as public transport is ok to get around (as I believe buying a car in rediculously expensive in Australia?).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Not too fussed about where we live - so long as public transport is ok to get around (as I believe buying a car in rediculously expensive in Australia?).
Public transport is next to non-existent in Australia.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I find public transport perfectly fine. As was the cost of my car.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:06 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I find public transport perfectly fine. As was the cost of my car.
I agree depending of course where you live, but if the OP is working in the city and chooses wisely where to live there should be no problems with public transport. Cars are more expensive than the UK but if you are just looking for a 2nd hand small car you will be fine, petrol is lots cheaper here too.

I would say go for it, you are only young and if it doesn't work for you, then you can go home after an adventure as lots have said on here.

You won't exactly be living like a rock star on that pay but if your gf is working too then you will be fine. BTW I am on a lot less than $70,000 and I am not living below the poverty line, well not just yet anyway but I will be if the price of lettuce and bananas keep going up!!.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.