Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To move or not to move?????

To move or not to move?????

Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: To move or not to move?????

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hey, what's the worst that can happen?
Buy return tickets and give it a go, if after 11 months it isn't working then come back to the UK, better to have tried and failed rather than not trying at all. Regrets are the worst thing to have
Hi
Totally agree, could not of put it better myself!!!!
We moved over in Jan 05, we had no money from a house sale, just our saving & money made from furniture etc. We to went to centrelink & we get family allowance, & also rent help (which i think most people who emigrate can get, all depends on your Visa ) again in depends how much you earn to how much you get.
Good luck with everything & just keep reading the above quote & go for it.
Paula
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

wong-fei-hung is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by paula 1
Hi
Totally agree, could not of put it better myself!!!!
We moved over in Jan 05, we had no money from a house sale, just our saving & money made from furniture etc. We to went to centrelink & we get family allowance, & also rent help (which i think most people who emigrate can get, all depends on your Visa ) again in depends how much you earn to how much you get.
Good luck with everything & just keep reading the above quote & go for it.
Paula

We are applying for the skilled independant visa, partner is a programmer, but we was to believe that we had to survive on my partners wages (if he found work) as centrelink would give us nothing untill we had our citizenship after 2 years??
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wong-fei-hung
We are applying for the skilled independant visa, partner is a programmer, but we was to believe that we had to survive on my partners wages (if he found work) as centrelink would give us nothing untill we had our citizenship after 2 years??
If you don't get help from Centrelink, Please don't let put you off at all. When we speak to people, who have emigrated with money from a house sale, thousands/thousands in savings, we ask ourselves how the hell did we manage to do it :scared: , but you do manage, just like you would back in the UK.
We now rent a house, overlooking the ocean, we have use of a pool, bbq area, & tennis courts. So just remeber it can be done with however much money you have.
Hope this help's in someway
Paula
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paula 1
If you don't get help from Centrelink, Please don't let put you off at all. When we speak to people, who have emigrated with money from a house sale, thousands/thousands in savings, we ask ourselves how the hell did we manage to do it :scared: , but you do manage, just like you would back in the UK.
We now rent a house, overlooking the ocean, we have use of a pool, bbq area, & tennis courts. So just remeber it can be done with however much money you have.
Hope this help's in someway
Paula

Thanks Paula, its nice to hear from someone who went over there without a fortune, its very reasurring as we have just under £20k after paying for agent fees, and was wondering if its worth it, to be struggling with 5 children
Saffy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Paula, its nice to hear from someone who went over there without a fortune, its very reasurring as we have just under £20k after paying for agent fees, and was wondering if its worth it, to be struggling with 5 children
Saffy
Hi Saffy
We have two children, we have gone without things, but we did not mind. It has not been easy, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end. We've only been here since Jan 05, & i look at what we've done in that time, with less than what you are bringing with you (money wise) & it does make you proud. The homesickness is the worst for me , & i've had more bad days than good, but i'm getting there, my poor hubby has not had it easy!!!!
If you need any help/support, please feel free to email me, also what part are you hopefully heading for???
Paula
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE my poor hubby has not had it easy!!!!
If you need any help/support, please feel free to email me, also what part are you hopefully heading for???
Paula[/QUOTE]

Hi Paula, thanks for your reply, why as your poor hubby not had it easy??
Its nice to hear youve made it over there, Hang on in there with the homesickness just remember the reasons why you went out there, i bet one of those reasons was for a better lifestyle for your children?? the weather?? it will take time, but thats all, after reading some posts, when people get homesick,they plan a holiday (back to uk) and actually start to miss home (Oz), even if it takes you 3 years to save, there is always internet access, webcams, phone calls etc.

we are hoping for Queensland but would go anywhere we end up finding work and/or good schools, where abouts have you settled? and what visa did you go on?? .............hope hubby feels better also

Saffy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE my poor hubby has not had it easy!!!!
Paula
Hi Paula, thanks for your reply, why as your poor hubby not had it easy??
Its nice to hear youve made it over there, Hang on in there with the homesickness just remember the reasons why you went out there, i bet one of those reasons was for a better lifestyle for your children?? the weather?? it will take time, but thats all, after reading some posts, when people get homesick,they plan a holiday (back to uk) and actually start to miss home (Oz), even if it takes you 3 years to save, there is always internet access, webcams, phone calls etc.

we are hoping for Queensland but would go anywhere we end up finding work and/or good schools, where abouts have you settled? and what visa did you go on?? .............hope hubby feels better also

Saffy[/QUOTE]

Hi Saffy
We have settled in Coffs Harbour, NSW. It's in between Sydney & Brisbane. We came over on a 139 Designated skilled sponsored visa.
Because i'm homesick etc hubby is at the end of my emotions, so he is treading on eggshells at the moment not trying to upset me (bless him)plus his had the stress of finding work, but things are starting to look up, with work, & family coming over soon.
paula
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

pinkdove is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: To move or not to move?????

i know what u mean. We have been planning a move for a while ( have been granted skilled migrant visa ) . Trouble is there are still a few questions u know... the what ifs and buts....

We have 2 kids . one would be attending senior sch later this year here if we stayed behind. Im kinda worried that she will be bored if she has to go back to primary school shd we move next year.
Also , what happens to ISas or pensions ...... has anybody any input on this.
Id love to move there .... just seems less stressful life and ....nicer weather too but all these uncertaintanties r driving me nuts . Has anyone else experienced the same things , id love to hear from you.

:confused
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice
Red face Re: To move or not to move?????

Originally Posted by pinkdove
i know what u mean. We have been planning a move for a while ( have been granted skilled migrant visa ) . Trouble is there are still a few questions u know... the what ifs and buts....

We have 2 kids . one would be attending senior sch later this year here if we stayed behind. Im kinda worried that she will be bored if she has to go back to primary school shd we move next year.
Also , what happens to ISas or pensions ...... has anybody any input on this.
Id love to move there .... just seems less stressful life and ....nicer weather too but all these uncertaintanties r driving me nuts . Has anyone else experienced the same things , id love to hear from you.

:confused
My friend who moved in dec05 had the same thing she has 3 children in school, one had just started senior school here,and went out there and has just started his last yr of primary again,he does not mind at all,and the school have been great,there is a much more relaxed approach to schooling(im told)that the children love it..
And outta school they are just to busy swimming/walking to miss England/friends yet!! hope this helps a little.Jackie
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=paula hubby is at the end of my emotions, so he is treading on eggshells at the moment not trying to upset me (bless him)plus his had the stress of finding work, but things are starting to look up, with work, & family coming over soon.
paula[/QUOTE]

Now i get it 'DOH' i get days like this youll have to excuse me lol...

Poor hubby, sounds very understanding though and patient, my partners like that, well, he needs to be, cos im sure ill get days of homesickness or just plain stress of money watching!!

Saffy
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

I didnt think benefits was available untill after the 2 year period??
make a lot of difference recieving child benefits
Just to confirm that Child Benefit (called Family Tax Benefit - FTB) is one of the few allowances that you ARE allowed, from the day you arrive as Permanent Residents, and it is based on the number of children, their ages and your income.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Just to confirm that Child Benefit (called Family Tax Benefit - FTB) is one of the few allowances that you ARE allowed, from the day you arrive as Permanent Residents, and it is based on the number of children, their ages and your income.
Depending upon your income you're also entitled to help with child care and with rent assistence. There is no unemployment benefit though until you've been here for 2 years I think.

Wong, 20k GBP (45-50k AUD) should be plenty, I have plenty of Aussie friends who earn less than this a year and still manage to get by.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:55 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: To move or not to move?????

Hi Saffy,

We have 4 children and came over with not a vast amount of money, I pay $20 per day for the two youngest in Pre school ($10) each. Don't know how much the Child Benefit will be, we've elected to have it paid yearly (so we don't spend it!!!!) We've furnished a house bought two cars and are saving like crazy. all that said the lifestyle is priceless-like someone said a day out with the children can literally cost you a few ice-creams. Loads of things are free entrance/ free car parking. Of course you have living expenses and some of those can seem a lot more than you would expect but we find it a lot less difficult to cut back on the 'nice' things in life cos there are loads of free/cheap things here!! Does that make sense???

Basically life is different here and I wouldn't go back for love nor money-we haven't come out with hundreds of thousands of dollars but I feel rich beyond belief!!

Don't let your perception of not much money stop you, go for it!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:19 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

just one thing, don't expect house prices/job prospects to be any better for your children over here. i still wonder if i'll ever be able to afford a house - i was in a much better position to do so in the uk before i left.

but, i would still rather my kids were brought up here.

Originally Posted by jackie/steve
The main reason we are going is for the children,when i look at what seems to be ahead of them here(house prices/job prospects etc)if your renting here whats to stop you renting there