Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to melbourne shipping strategy - thoughts please?

Move to melbourne shipping strategy - thoughts please?

Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice
Default Move to melbourne shipping strategy - thoughts please?

I have got the job, now they want me to move out to Melbourne super quick after being inducted to the UK operation for a couple of weeks.

Timeline is very very tight (will need to pack / ship in a week or so!)
I will be on probation for 1st 6 months.
I am guessing I will be in temporary accomodation until I am more certain things are set with the new job.

I have shipped most of my things a good few years ago which are in storage at my folks place in Perth.

I do have a few more "tea chests" to ship.

I am thinking the following:

1. ship essentials (clothes etc) by air that I cant get in the baggage allowance on my flight by air to my new employers (maybe 2 tea chests)

2. leave remaining items at family to be shipped by sea later when I have secured more permanent accomodation (maybe further 2 tea chests)

Anyone else done this?

Im also considering excess baggage at the mo to do the shipping any good?

As you can imagine all very hectic here at the moment!!
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:17 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Move to melbourne shipping strategy - thoughts please?

We had 2 chests and 2 suitcases of things that we did not send by sea and would not go on the allowance. We just dropped them with Excess-Baggage at Heathrow, who flew them for us. We picked them up a week or so later from near Sydney airport.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We had 2 chests and 2 suitcases of things that we did not send by sea and would not go on the allowance. We just dropped them with Excess-Baggage at Heathrow, who flew them for us. We picked them up a week or so later from near Sydney airport.
Hmmm sounds like a good alternative plan, what were the costs like compared to packing a tea carton & pick up from home!?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:34 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Cant remember the exact price, it was less than 300 pounds for the 4 items, but there was a further customs charge at the other end, but you will be hit with that whichever route you choose.

Check out excess baggageThey offer both "door to door" OR cheaper is "airport uncleared" which is where you pay for that customs charge I mentioned above.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments Mark - very helpful.

Think I am going to ship 3 tea cartons via sea with simpsons then drop off a couple of bags at the airport with the essentials that wont squeeze in my baggage allowance to go unaccompanied via excess baggage.

That will give me a bit more time to sort out a place in Melbourne while the other cartons are on the boat.

Plus better going with a positive outlook that its all gonna work out just fine!