Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move to improve safety following domestic violence

Move to improve safety following domestic violence

Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Question Move to improve safety following domestic violence

I thought long and hard about this post and then realised that there may well be others who at some time may sadly have the same question.

I have a direct relative in the UK who finally called the Police to her domestic situation when her partner of 12 years attempted to stab her. He has been to Court and has a 24 month suspemded sentence, an order to attend alcohol rehabiiitation program. He also was awarded a restraining order, which he broke within 30 minutes of leaving Court, trying to get to her through his sister and mother. He has now been rearrested and facing trial for non-compliance to the order.

The Police have been fantastic, and now have a security firm fitting her house with CCTV cameras and giving her an automatic buzzer which she has to keep on her at home in case he turns up. He had also mistreated the two children.

She is an awesome person - and despite living in unreal circumstances held down a retail job on weekends, a job during the week at an accountants, and amazingly just finished her Level 4 AAT accountancy training with the highest marks out of 200 students. She is a person with all the strength and ability to offer a huge amount to Australia, but my first priority is finding out the best way of getting her out of the UK

So two questions:

If she can get a job offer on the Gold Coast/Brisbane under a 457 with her current qualifications, would she still need to have a skills assessment? We are currently desperate for someone with her skills where I work and have been unsuccessfully advertising for 6 months. The standard for an acountant here is a minimal of a Bachelors, and her current qulaification only counts for the first year.

If this fails how do I find out if she can get a year's credit and comes over as a student - though finding money for her course is likely to be difficult at least.

Finally, is there any system that exists that would allow me to get her out of the UK based on the fact that her parent and sibling are here and can offer her and her children a safe envionment?

Obviously there is a long way to go, and I am not undermining what needs to happen in the UK. I just want to have an early indication of the possibilities so that we can start discussions.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully my record of posting cheerful and supportive posts will allow me forgiveness for posting something rather more soul-searching.

Many thanks

Seabird.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to improve safety following domestic violence

Originally Posted by Seabird
I thought long and hard about this post and then realised that there may well be others who at some time may sadly have the same question.

I have a direct relative in the UK who finally called the Police to her domestic situation when her partner of 12 years attempted to stab her. He has been to Court and has a 24 month suspemded sentence, an order to attend alcohol rehabiiitation program. He also was awarded a restraining order, which he broke within 30 minutes of leaving Court, trying to get to her through his sister and mother. He has now been rearrested and facing trial for non-compliance to the order.

The Police have been fantastic, and now have a security firm fitting her house with CCTV cameras and giving her an automatic buzzer which she has to keep on her at home in case he turns up. He had also mistreated the two children.

She is an awesome person - and despite living in unreal circumstances held down a retail job on weekends, a job during the week at an accountants, and amazingly just finished her Level 4 AAT accountancy training with the highest marks out of 200 students. She is a person with all the strength and ability to offer a huge amount to Australia, but my first priority is finding out the best way of getting her out of the UK

So two questions:

If she can get a job offer on the Gold Coast/Brisbane under a 457 with her current qualifications, would she still need to have a skills assessment? We are currently desperate for someone with her skills where I work and have been unsuccessfully advertising for 6 months. The standard for an acountant here is a minimal of a Bachelors, and her current qulaification only counts for the first year.

If this fails how do I find out if she can get a year's credit and comes over as a student - though finding money for her course is likely to be difficult at least.

Finally, is there any system that exists that would allow me to get her out of the UK based on the fact that her parent and sibling are here and can offer her and her children a safe envionment?

Obviously there is a long way to go, and I am not undermining what needs to happen in the UK. I just want to have an early indication of the possibilities so that we can start discussions.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully my record of posting cheerful and supportive posts will allow me forgiveness for posting something rather more soul-searching.

Many thanks

Seabird.
Sorry to hear this story, it must be a hard situation for her.

From what you have described, I think she would really struggle to get out on a 457. I think that PR would also be a battle.

There is a visa for last remaining relative. Would she qualify for that?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So two questions:

Many thanks

Seabird.
I really think she needs to sit down with a qualified MARA registered migration agent. Unfortunately it's not going to be as easy as she would probably like it to be to come over here. She's got children who are likely going to need their other parent's permission to leave the UK and she doesn't have the qualifications needed for a skilled visa. As you know a 457 is a temporary visa as well, so she's tied to an employer for the term of her visa and then has to either find another way to stay or go home at the end of the job. There's also the problem of her kids staying dependant on her to keep them here on the 457 as well. The student visa route is a very expensive and risky one as many on here can tell you. Take a look at Pumpkin Blossom's story as an example of how the student to PR route goalposts have changed over the time they've been here and how hard it is for them to stay.

Like I said, she really needs the help of an agent who can guide her through the legalities of taking the kids and finding a way to come permanently. I would recommend that she contact George Lombard in Sydney or Alan Collett who has offices in Southampton & Melbourne.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the problem of the visa, given the behaviour and attitude of the children's father, she could face a complete nightmare getting permission to remove them from the UK. Just because he's a shite doesn't unfortunately remove his parental rights. She most definitely needs the likes of George or Alan to guide her.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Aside from the problem of the visa, given the behaviour and attitude of the children's father, she could face a complete nightmare getting permission to remove them from the UK. Just because he's a shite doesn't unfortunately remove his parental rights. She most definitely needs the likes of George or Alan to guide her.
Fully agree. Did send Alan a PM but he hasnt replied yet. I suspect she may have to go to the Courts. The fact that he has been neglecting and hitting the kids behind her back will likely go against access at this stage. Much would hang on her case officer but I will try George thanks for the tip.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Fully agree. Did send Alan a PM but he hasnt replied yet. I suspect she may have to go to the Courts. The fact that he has been neglecting and hitting the kids behind her back will likely go against access at this stage. Much would hang on her case officer but I will try George thanks for the tip.
I would think that rather than you contacting Alan or George it would be better for your relative to contact them. She would be able to give them first hand information and I would think that a professional would rather talk to the client than a third party.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would think that rather than you contacting Alan or George it would be better for your relative to contact them. She would be able to give them first hand information and I would think that a professional would rather talk to the client than a third party.

Dorothy I have taken your sentiments on board. Regards.