Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Move on to Change Australia Day

Move on to Change Australia Day

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move on to Change Australia Day

Originally Posted by Beoz
I did miss the punch line. The punch line still doesn't change anything in post 100.
No but it was does mean you made an obnoxious comment and didn't even have the decency to apologise. Also 'punch line' is the final point of a joke. I missed where Spouse made one so you managed to be doubly obnoxious. Many congrats.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I did miss the punch line. The punch line still doesn't change anything in post 100.
Punch line? You obnoxious piece of crap. How about you explain to me, as the mother of a teenager who hung himself how suicide has a punchline?
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wish you'd stop saying 'they'. Australian Aboriginal people aren't a homogeneous group who all think the same.

A little story for you. While at primary school in the mid-60s, I became friends with a boy named Ronnie. Ronnie lived in a group of cottages next door to the school. The cottages were owned and run by the Department of Native Welfare, a Western Australian government department, when Ronnie arrive there, and were later sold to the Uniting Church. White Christian families were allowed to take the kids home for weekends. My mum often collected Ronnie and brought him home to our place, where he'd eat and eat and sleep and sleep, and be a cheeky and funny little coot in between. We stayed friends until we were 15.

Ronnie was taken from his parents when he was 5 years old. He wasn't taken because he was neglected or abused. He wasn't taken because he didn't have family who loved him - as well as mum and dad he had brothers, sisters, aunties and uncles, cousins. Ronnie was forcibly removed from his family because his skin was lighter than that of his siblings. He was taken because the State thought he should learn how to act like a white person.

Ronnie's parents weren't permitted to visit him. For years his mum wrote letters to the Department's Commissioner pleading to be allowed to see her son. Some of those letters, and the Commissioner's responses, still exist. She was consistently refused any access at all to her son.

I'm not going to go into the history of the stolen generation, if anyone's genuinely interested there's plenty of factual information available. Around 10 years ago the Uniting Church issued a statement, saying it 'unreservedly apologised to children in its institutions who experienced neglect of their social, emotional and physical needs, or physical or sexual abuse perpetrated by staff who should have been trustworthy'.

Many of those who worked with Aboriginal children at that time did so with good intentions, they were following the State, Commonwealth and society in general's belief that a 'white' upbringing was always going to be better than an 'Aboriginal' one. I get that. Most Aboriginal people I've been friends with and worked with get that.

But don't you dare say that 'they should be grateful'. I'd actually like to share your thoughts with Ronnie, we'd hopefully be able to have a good laugh about it. I can't tell Ronnie that he should be grateful though, because when he was 15 years old he hung himself.
Very sad story. No one can deny how horrendous it was.

It was equally horrendous to non Indiginous people https://www.theguardian.com/society/...shipped-abroad

Australia day date change doesn't change any of it.

Australia Day is to celebrate EVERYONE and moving forward from the past.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Davo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Punch line? You obnoxious piece of crap. How about you explain to me, as the mother of a teenager who hung himself how suicide has a punchline?
Sorry to hear about your son. May he RIP
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No but it was does mean you made an obnoxious comment and didn't even have the decency to apologise. Also 'punch line' is the final point of a joke. I missed where Spouse made one so you managed to be doubly obnoxious. Many congrats.
Apologies for what? It doesn't change my post in which I acknowledge the sadness of the stolen generation, even before I knew where Ronnie was today.

And I was seriously interested where Ronnie was today, hoping for a good story, but of course they are rare to find on this topic.

Going back to the topic that I addressed with Spouse (as you have gone so wildly off it) do you not believe aspects of colonization have benefited some indigenous people? Cathy Freeman? Kurtley Beale? In fact look up Kurtley Beale. I have met Kurtley a number of times. Kurtley certainly wouldn't be one to be cursing past actions. He, like me finds shock in the stories, but has moved on unified with the rest of the people in Australia.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Beoz, Well no colonisation did not benefit the Original inhabitants for a exceptional long time. Why finger the past few decades? British colonisation goes back well over
two hundred years. Much of that time the Original inhabitants were treated with total disdain, third rate or less non citizens across this nation. How does that be put right in a few decades?

Of course it was not only the Australian Original people that felt the consequences of colonisation. First nations in Canada and USA . Not forgetting the native peoples in South America or parts of Asia.

Time will provide more people akin to Cathy Freeman and other sporting stars from the past. Hopefully not only confined to sport, but more in the intellectual arena, than can articulate the point of view and perspective of the Original people from the soul, rather than a western take on things that can rarely if ever come to an understanding divorced from own cultural perspectives, no matter how hard attempt to be fair minded and under standing.

One thing remains clear though it takes more than a few generations to radically altar perceptions. Not that all the white man's perceptions on life is necessary the correct way forward, especially the direction of policy over recent years. Must be very difficult for the Original inhabitants to fully come to terms with the individuality and greed seemingly over evident in the majority culture around them.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Time will provide more people akin to Cathy Freeman and other sporting stars from the past. Hopefully not only confined to sport, but more in the intellectual arena
You mean like David Unaipon, Neville Bonner, Bronwyn Bancroft, Lowitja O’Donoghue (who was taken from her mother as a child)? Time has told.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

You mean like David Unaipon, Neville Bonner, Bronwyn Bancroft, Lowitja O’Donoghue (who was taken from her mother as a child)? Time has told.
While those above mentioned may well irritate your side of the ideological divide, and indeed I don't agree with all agendas expressed, more power to them for standing up for what they believe.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

While those above mentioned may well irritate your side of the ideological divide, and indeed I don't agree with all agendas expressed, more power to them for standing up for what they believe.
I am all about people helping to help themselves. Which is why a mentioned Kurtley Beale. Not just because he is good at sport, but because of the the journey he has taken.An indigenous kid from Blacktown, who secured a scholarship at a prestigious private school, captained the first fifteen, went on to play for his country and more importantly lived abroad, practicing his trade where he could have been well out of his comfort zone.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's an indigenous or white or whatever colour kid. The point is I am a big fan of those who help themselves to succeed.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Beoz, Well no colonisation did not benefit the Original inhabitants for a exceptional long time.
Well, it didn't exactly benefit those transported either....

Why finger the past few decades? British colonisation goes back well over
two hundred years. Much of that time the Original inhabitants were treated with total disdain, third rate or less non citizens across this nation. How does that be put right in a few decades?
Well, the vietnamise boat people turned up in Australia with nothing, not talking the language, and with no idea of the culture. Inside a few decades they were normal, unremarkable, productive parts of society.

How long do you think it should take ? Give us a number.

Of course it was not only the Australian Original people that felt the consequences of colonisation. First nations in Canada and USA . Not forgetting the native peoples in South America or parts of Asia.
Are you saying they were disadvantaged, or advantaged? Your point isn't clear,

Time will provide more people akin to Cathy Freeman and other sporting stars from the past. Hopefully not only confined to sport, but more in the intellectual arena, than can articulate the point of view and perspective of the Original people from the soul, rather than a western take on things that can rarely if ever come to an understanding divorced from own cultural perspectives, no matter how hard attempt to be fair minded and under standing.
Again, what was the point here? In general those that move forward, put the past behind them (like cathy freeman) and move forward on the part of being australian first. Are you saying that is the way forward ?......

One thing remains clear though it takes more than a few generations to radically altar perceptions. Not that all the white man's perceptions on life is necessary the correct way forward, especially the direction of policy over recent years. Must be very difficult for the Original inhabitants to fully come to terms with the individuality and greed seemingly over evident in the majority culture around them.
Two points.

First, yes it demonstrably does take a few generations. And second, although I wouldn't say right wing capitalism is necessarily the right way forward, it's closer to right than a stone age culture in a 21st century world be....
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:12 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
First, yes it demonstrably does take a few generations. And second, although I wouldn't say right wing capitalism is necessarily the right way forward, it's closer to right than a stone age culture in a 21st century world be....
That's the nub of it. Whilst indigenous cultures are to be valued, there comes a point where their insistence on living a quasi ancestral life or excluding themselves from the larger society has detrimental impacts. There is a certain incompatibility. It must be a struggle, however, for the indigenous folk.

In Vietnamese case, they left their (ancestral) home and so are de facto willing to adopt new cultural norms, and join wider society. And, in any case, 20th century Asian society is not that different from Western society at a fundamental level.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for what? It doesn't change my post in which I acknowledge the sadness of the stolen generation, even before I knew where Ronnie was today.

And I was seriously interested where Ronnie was today, hoping for a good story, but of course they are rare to find on this topic.
You managed to quote Spouse and suggested she hadn't understood what Astera said. May I suggest, when you read a post and decide to quote it and explain to that poster why they are wrong, you actually read what you are quoting. You obviously weren't seriously interested in Ronnie because you failed to read to the end of the post.

Apologise for not actually reading a post whilst quoting and then asking about a friend of hers who took his own life which was the whole reason for her post. Apologise for using the term 'punch line' which is only ever used for the end of a joke not when someone is explaining horrific events.

Don't worry I don't expect you to. You're too busy trying to prove you know more than anyone else and not accepting another point of view. Pray, continue.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You managed to quote Spouse and suggested she hadn't understood what Astera said. May I suggest, when you read a post and decide to quote it and explain to that poster why they are wrong, you actually read what you are quoting. You obviously weren't seriously interested in Ronnie because you failed to read to the end of the post.

Apologise for not actually reading a post whilst quoting and then asking about a friend of hers who took his own life which was the whole reason for her post. Apologise for using the term 'punch line' which is only ever used for the end of a joke not when someone is explaining horrific events.

Don't worry I don't expect you to. You're too busy trying to prove you know more than anyone else and not accepting another point of view. Pray, continue.
I usually say "agree". Shall I post links?

Will happily do that for you tomorrow when I watch the automation video.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I usually say "agree". Shall I post links?

Will happily do that for you tomorrow when I watch the automation video.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 11:11 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...their insistence on living a quasi ancestral life or excluding themselves from the larger society has detrimental impacts. There is a certain incompatibility.

and so are de facto willing to adopt new cultural norms, and join wider society.
That's the key part.

It's not really to do with outside efforts, money, or renaming days. It's to do with inside culture (real culture, not the tourist bits) and the willingness/recognition of the need to change.

The reality is that not only are these cultures broken, but they act against change. Kids are told by their peers in school "why turn up, there's no jobs round here and they will give you money anyway". Even if they do stick around for an education, they are then looked down on for 'getting out' and leaving the community behind to find work/further education. And the vendettas and violence, coupled with the alcohol and drugs, destroys what's left - although not before they have more kids to continue the cycle.

You can't continue with the same model as we have had over the past decades - it just makes it worse. You have to identify the feedback loops (as above) and design interventions that change those loops in a deep and abiding way. And that's going to mean changing the culture ... not the name of days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.