Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

Originally Posted by Philzbub
Pay wise it will be similar to here in numbers,
Originally Posted by puna
maybe you have not been offered enough.

I would agree. Salaries in Australia are often up to double what they are for the same job in NZ.

BB
Old Oct 8th 2014, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

I've lived in Adelaide 8 years

I am a single so only one income here. I just live within my means and I'm fine. I live in a rental only 20 mins from the city, half hour from the airport (I work near there) and only 50 mins away from the stunning Barossa Valley

I wouldn't live anywhere else. I absolutely love it here.

Only downside for me is it's cold in winter. But hey, at least there's no snow!

If you need specific info ask away!
Old Oct 8th 2014, 11:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've lived in Adelaide 8 years

I am a single so only one income here. I just live within my means and I'm fine. I live in a rental only 20 mins from the city, half hour from the airport (I work near there) and only 50 mins away from the stunning Barossa Valley

I wouldn't live anywhere else. I absolutely love it here.

Only downside for me is it's cold in winter. But hey, at least there's no snow!

If you need specific info ask away!
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 6:23 am
Just Joined

temp444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am originally from Adelaide and have spent the last 9 years living in NZ, first in Wellington then Auckland. I am now finally moving back to Australia, so here are my experiences/opinions about the two cities.

Auckland is becoming the "London" of NZ, with all the work and business activity sucking in people/money from the rest of the country. Hence part of the reason the property prices have been going through the roof. The biggest problem IMHO is the quality of the houses here are very poor, but you are still paying almost Melb/Sydney prices for stuff close to the city. And like Sydney, the traffic is a nightmare. But there is a lot of work here and the weather is fantastic.

Adelaide on the other hand, is probably a more beautiful city, as it is flat and easy to get around and not divided by the ugly LA style freeways Auckland is 'blessed with'. The beaches are far far better. Housing stock is always heaps better value for money compared, with most properties having mandatory things like insulation, heating/air conditioning, no leaks ... not wooden shacks like Auckland is plagued with. And yes living expenses are cheaper, food is good quality. Jobs however are not as abundant as Auckland, but the salaries are generally higher.

So overall I would recommend Adelaide as destination for a family looking to settle down with a large house that won't put you into a million dollar debt. If you want more lively cultured city consider Mel or Sydney, though you then have to deal with traffic and high prices.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:16 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence worth.

VISA VISA VISA!!! Find out what you can or can not get or entitled you, without it there is no point continuing.

Adelaide I love, never lived there so maybe a mute point/observation, but I live in Sydney by the beaches and I always enjoy going to Adelaide. Its more like a large town then a city and I would honestly move there in a heartbeat (caveat, but keeping my Sydney salary!! )
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Wellygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I lived in Adelaide for three years, returned to the UK and now live in Palmerston North, New Zealand. Adelaide has some positives for sure, you can access beautiful beaches and the city centre is really nicely laid out. Public transport is good and there are lots of nice restaurants etc. Negatives are some of the drivers are 'crazy' and I didnt like the roads in and out of the city centre. Also the weather gets very hot in summer (I had about three weeks of 40 degrees non stop) which is ok if you have air conditioning, however bills become expensive! I just used to go down to the beach after work to cool off. There will always be some positives and some negatives to where ever you live. Ive been living in NZ for almost a year and I do like it. I particularily like the greenery (in Adelaide the grass was yellowish tinge due to sun scorching and the kiwi sense of humour which is very much like the English !

Good luck with your decision making