Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Arrow A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

Hi all,

A bit of background first. We are a family, husband, wife and two young daughters(3 1/2yo and 16month old). We've been in NZ, on the North Shore (just outside of Auckland) for two and a bit years. We all british and just decided to leave the uk for our girls and i was fortunate enough to get a job before leaving.

however, we are now in a position to consider Australia, and an opportunity has been presented my way for a job located in Adelaide. I don't have to live in Adelaide but would need to be well located for access to the main hospitals within a reasonable driving distance, and would be based from a home office.

if anyone has any experience of life in NZ compared to life in SA - that would be fantastic, but any thoughts, advice, from people in Adelaide would be very welcomed. We don't know what to do! Whilst we love NZ, and the beaches are fantastic, it's beautiful here, the cost of living is quite high and to get on the property ladder here very difficult unless you compromise on location (a lot) in a lower decile suburb.

so last week a visitor from Aus genuinely offered me a work opportunity to start around December this year, gave me some food for thought around the job and the money etc. But we just can't decide what would be best, and we don't. Know Aus that well. I've visited Sydney a few times and briefly stayed in Glenelg, Adelaide all visits were for work, so short and sweet visits. But i did like the feel in Adelaide. I stayed in the hotel there on the beach, right by the marina- think it was called te Glenelg Hotel? - went for a meal at the McClaren Vale Vineyard and what i saw of the place, i did quite like. But i certainly didn't see that much to make a big call on.

anyway, any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks
phil.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A move from Auckland to Adelaide??? Thoughts please.

Hi, hopefully someone from SA will reply but in the meantime can only offer my experience. We moved from Canterbury NZ to regional Aus and have been in the north of Aus for a few years. We have ongoing links with NZ so still have an idea re costs etc including Auckland. If you have a job offer then I would say don't think twice. We find prices of many items cheaper in remote Aus, or at least the same price, than in NZ but Aus wages are typically much better. Have only been on hols to Adelaide but love it. Property is much better value than Auckland imho. Can't see a downside if you have a job to go to. Good luck : )
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you are asking on a forum of people that chose to live in Australia, so there could be a natural bias in any answers you get.

I have no idea what is better for you, I was just going to comment on your visa. Employers usually offer temporary ones but you mention buying houses, so think about your path to a permanent one, it isn't automatic and won't happen through the passage of time alone.

Good luck with the decision making.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 5:41 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of people who move from NZ to Aus seem to move to QLD or WA hence your lack of replies I reckon.

I've lived in NZ and now live in Melbourne and it is a significantly better life here for us but I have never been to Adelaide so can't help with your specific inquiry.

But BS has a valid point - what visa will you be coming on?

BB
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:47 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Do you mean they offered you higher pay?
what job is it?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philzbub
Hi all,

A bit of background first. We are a family, husband, wife and two young daughters(3 1/2yo and 16month old). We've been in NZ, on the North Shore (just outside of Auckland) for two and a bit years. We all british and just decided to leave the uk for our girls and i was fortunate enough to get a job before leaving.

however, we are now in a position to consider Australia, and an opportunity has been presented my way for a job located in Adelaide. I don't have to live in Adelaide but would need to be well located for access to the main hospitals within a reasonable driving distance, and would be based from a home office.

if anyone has any experience of life in NZ compared to life in SA - that would be fantastic, but any thoughts, advice, from people in Adelaide would be very welcomed. We don't know what to do! Whilst we love NZ, and the beaches are fantastic, it's beautiful here, the cost of living is quite high and to get on the property ladder here very difficult unless you compromise on location (a lot) in a lower decile suburb.

so last week a visitor from Aus genuinely offered me a work opportunity to start around December this year, gave me some food for thought around the job and the money etc. But we just can't decide what would be best, and we don't. Know Aus that well. I've visited Sydney a few times and briefly stayed in Glenelg, Adelaide all visits were for work, so short and sweet visits. But i did like the feel in Adelaide. I stayed in the hotel there on the beach, right by the marina- think it was called te Glenelg Hotel? - went for a meal at the McClaren Vale Vineyard and what i saw of the place, i did quite like. But i certainly didn't see that much to make a big call on.

anyway, any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks
phil.
Hi Phil - big decision for you and your wife. If you hated where you are now, it would be a lot easier!

It sounds as though there are two factors to be considered,:
whether life in Adelaide would be as enjoyable as your current life in NZ - suggested resources are asking questions about Adelaide on forums like this one, a reccie trip, research on the 'net.
and
whether the new job and new location would leave you better, equal or worse off financially - using the salary offered for the new position as a starting point, you could research house prices on realestate.com.au , do a 'dummy shop' on an Oz Coles or Woolies online shopping site, ask questions on this and other forums, do a Google search for any SA cost of living resources such as utilities.

All very pedestrian and boring, and you've probably already done some of those things, but I find that working out the detail often gives you the answer. Best of luck to you and your family.

(ps I didn't mention visas because I don't have a clue)
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice

Thanks to all for those words of wisdom, some great tips, and advice, given.

I'm not sure on visas at this point - we're only on working visas here still at the minute! I must get round to doing residency!

Pay wise it will be similar to here in numbers, but of course if cost of living is cheaper in Aus than we may have more disposable cash or money to put away! Being a young family, money always comes in and majority of straight out again. We are a one income household as the wife is a stay at home mum currently - although keen to get back to work. But money would be tight on one income whether we're here or in the uk - and probably in Aus, we just have to ride it out like most other family's do. But here we pay rent of 580pw to live in a nice suburb very close to a gorgeous beach, and we can walk to it. Plus we have numerous other beaches just as lovely all within a 5-20min drive depending on which one. But rentals look slightly less in and around Adelaide depending on where you are located of course. Who knows! I'll keep doing some more research. Thanks again.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 10:21 am

Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
especially pay being the same number
look here.

Cost of Living Comparison Between Adelaide, Australia And Auckland, New Zealand

you've been vague on the job and maybe you have not been offered enough.

Last edited by puna; Oct 5th 2014 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 10:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure on visas at this point - we're only on working visas here still at the minute! I must get round to doing residency!

Pay wise it will be similar to here in numbers, but of course if cost of living is cheaper in Aus than we may have more disposable cash or money to put away! Being a young family, money always comes in and majority of straight out again. We are a one income household as the wife is a stay at home mum currently - although keen to get back to work. But money would be tight on one income whether we're here or in the uk - and probably in Aus, we just have to ride it out like most other family's do. But here we pay rent of 580pw to live in a nice suburb very close to a gorgeous beach, and we can walk to it. Plus we have numerous other beaches just as lovely all within a 5-20min drive depending on which one. But rentals look slightly less in and around Adelaide depending on where you are located of course. Who knows! I'll keep doing some more research. Thanks again.
Can't comment on Auckland but have read stories to know that costs are high.

Personally, love Adelaide and do not find it expensive at all. Also single income house but there is only 2 of us (other is young adult son). We are renting 3 bed near beach in western suburbs at $350 week. Not the cheapest, nor most expensive for area. Total bills probably don't amount to more than half of net income. PM me if you want more info on costs
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puna
you've been vague on the job and maybe you have not been offered enough.
Like most people using a public forum, Phil's most likely limited his questions to those he wants advice on, there's no need for us to know what his job is
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:08 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Can't comment on Auckland but have read stories to know that costs are high.

Personally, love Adelaide and do not find it expensive at all. Also single income house but there is only 2 of us (other is young adult son). We are renting 3 bed near beach in western suburbs at $350 week. Not the cheapest, nor most expensive for area. Total bills probably don't amount to more than half of net income. PM me if you want more info on costs
I must admit I'm surprised that NZ is more expensive than Oz, as I always thought it was the other way around. Just goes to show that I haven't really looked into it at all, I've just formed a general idea.

Adelaide housing prices /rental costs certainly seem to offer more value than Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. I've only been to Adelaide a couple of times but I liked the feel of the place - its CBD had more character than Perth's and it felt safe late at night.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Like most people using a public forum, Phil's most likely limited his questions to those he wants advice on, there's no need for us to know what his job is
some jobs may pay more some may pay the same so pay scale important for the poster and for readers in the same boat.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 11:18 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by puna
some jobs may pay more some may pay the same so pay scale important for the poster and for readers in the same boat.
I don't want to argue about it, but people only put information relevant to their query on public forums. If someone doesn't want to say what their job is, that's understandable and fair enough.

If people want to know if the salary offered for a particular job in a particular place is ok, they can and will ask.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. That's great.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you need to take a good look into this, because if NZ is anything like Australia (and I think it is), residency effectively "runs out" if you don't live in the country because you can't re-enter the country. You could end up without a visa for either country if the job ends as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.