Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Motorhome Sydney-to-Mackay.

Motorhome Sydney-to-Mackay.

Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Motorhome Sydney-to-Mackay.

Hi folks,
We are planning our journey to Mackay Qld and fancy flying into Sydney on the A380 Qantas Premium Economy and then hiring a motorhome one way to Mackay Qld and taking a couple of weeks to do it.
We have been waiting 3 years now and have only had one proper holiday in that time...so fancy a nice road trip en-route to our new home.
Does anyone know of any motorhome companies that let you drop off specifically at Mackay (NOT Cairns, Rocky, Townsville or Airlie Beach)?
We thought about hiring a car which is more straightforward for our journey but we have three kids under 4 and think using a motorhome might be better than hotels/lodges etc.
Anyone care to comment or offer advice on any element of our plans?
HKA
x
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorhome Sydney-to-Mackay.

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Hi folks,
We are planning our journey to Mackay Qld and fancy flying into Sydney on the A380 Qantas Premium Economy and then hiring a motorhome one way to Mackay Qld and taking a couple of weeks to do it.
We have been waiting 3 years now and have only had one proper holiday in that time...so fancy a nice road trip en-route to our new home.
Does anyone know of any motorhome companies that let you drop off specifically at Mackay (NOT Cairns, Rocky, Townsville or Airlie Beach)?
We thought about hiring a car which is more straightforward for our journey but we have three kids under 4 and think using a motorhome might be better than hotels/lodges etc.
Anyone care to comment or offer advice on any element of our plans?
HKA
x
Hello Alan. Did you sell the house and have you got a definite date.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Sorry Franky boy but it aint sold yet!
No more jokes about us both being retired before
I arrive!!!
We have discounted about £35,000 already! I cant face dropping it anymore...but guess I will have to....
You flooded again?
HKA
x
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

http://www.standbymotorhomes.com/
Worth checking with, as they may be flexible. They may at least know who does, even if they don't.

This one seems to do does cars to Mackay http://www.onewaycarrental.com.au/
Not sure if they do campers

Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware with standby campervan deals, the fine print

Basically the van is only 'yours' if they cant let it for the full price, they can pull the deal with no notice for many reasons, say another van breaks down, someone wants to extend the rental at a higher price etc etc ......

We found this out, after booking a stand by deal and paying for it. New years eve sydney, 2 kids we turn up and they have pulled out of the deal, out comes the fine print and we find out this happens all the time.

New years eve, sydney, accom was $1000 a night plus the company didnt give a hoot about our situation, or that we had kids.... Bloody nightmare.

Another company eventually found us a deal, but the condition was take it with dirty linen etc, we asked about health regs and basically got told who gives a fig.

We did take the van, no choice, then spent 4 hours in woolongong beaurepairs, by now it was such a disaster we could only laugh, but I am sure for people with younger kids or less humour it could have wrecked your holiday.

If your not 100% dont care if we get the van or not, probably better to pay a bit more and know you at least have one.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Franky boy but it aint sold yet!
No more jokes about us both being retired before
I arrive!!!
We have discounted about £35,000 already! I cant face dropping it anymore...but guess I will have to....
You flooded again?
HKA
x
Not written in stone but I think we're going the other way Alan. Probably home before you get here. Basically Angies had enough and I'm also fed up. I can see the recession biting hard here and with no safety net (as I found out already) it will only become stressful. So its get house on market and see what happens. We should have our PR before we go so we'll see what happens.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh no!
I can't believe it.
It is pretty grim here too mate.
Fancy a house swap?
We are, although I am originally from doon the
Watter, in Fife.
Just a thought!
Hka
X

Last edited by hollykimalan; Feb 22nd 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no!
I can't believe it.
It is pretty grim here too mate.
Fancy a house swap?
We are, although I am originally from doon the
Watter, in Fife.
Just a thought!
Hka
X
Basically Alan, there isn't the support network here. Unemployment (although might not come to it) isnt an option and I can see the coal industry landing on its arse. In my company, BMA are beginning to play hard ball and costs are getting trimmed as we speak. The housing market is holding up here which is good for us as sellers and as you're aware, the arse has fell out of it at your end. We'll put the house on the market and just plod away till it sells.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
Basically Alan, there isn't the support network here. Unemployment (although might not come to it) isnt an option and I can see the coal industry landing on its arse. In my company, BMA are beginning to play hard ball and costs are getting trimmed as we speak. The housing market is holding up here which is good for us as sellers and as you're aware, the arse has fell out of it at your end. We'll put the house on the market and just plod away till it sells.
What part of Mackay are you in? Is it a 3 bed? or 4 bed? May work out well for both of us if we decide to make the move.

Sarah
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sasbear
What part of Mackay are you in? Is it a 3 bed? or 4 bed? May work out well for both of us if we decide to make the move.

Sarah
Hi Sarah. We live in North Mackay in a 4 bed brick bungalow and very nice it is too.