Motorcycle test

Old Apr 27th 2003, 10:55 am
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally posted by Terry
Hi guys what bikes do you have or are thinking of getting?
I have a fireblade here but am thinking of getting a trails bike when we get to brisbane, maybe a bit of off-roading in the bush!

Terry
Iv,e a zx-7r in team green,i hope are ozzy roads aren't too straight so can i get my knees down.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope to be doing a few more track days here before the move and then my knee down days may be over if I get into the trail bikes in au. I like the look of the ninja bikes nearly brought a zx6r a while back.

Terry
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point

I read somewhere that if you move to Oz and you've had your motorcycle licence for less than 1 year, you'll be stuck with a provisional license. Is this true???

I have a car license and want to do my bike test soon, but will be out there before I've had a bike license 12 months. I thought when you passed your test they just stick another code/symbol on your car license. How will they know when you passed your test???
Old Apr 29th 2003, 9:58 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by cruisey
I read somewhere that if you move to Oz and you've had your motorcycle licence for less than 1 year, you'll be stuck with a provisional license. Is this true???

I have a car license and want to do my bike test soon, but will be out there before I've had a bike license 12 months. I thought when you passed your test they just stick another code/symbol on your car license. How will they know when you passed your test???
Whilst the above question is being considered, does anyone know what difference it will make if I take my bike test less than 12 months before migrating, and on a 125 (as oppose to via direct access)

Mel
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:14 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by mika24me
Whilst the above question is being considered, does anyone know what difference it will make if I take my bike test less than 12 months before migrating, and on a 125 (as oppose to via direct access)

Mel
I think I may have answered my own question (at least for Victoria). The rules state that you must have a full license to transfer it to an Oz license. There is nothing to state that this has to be over one year old.

Check out http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...256ced000e3108!OpenDocument&ExpandSection=12.2.1,7.3,2#_Section1 2.2.1 for more info.

Mel
Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Terry
Hope to be doing a few more track days here before the move and then my knee down days may be over if I get into the trail bikes in au. I like the look of the ninja bikes nearly brought a zx6r a while back.

Terry
You won't be missing out on track days if you are moving any where near Sydney. Eastern Creek Raceway, just west of Sydney, hold many track days for cars and bikes, hubby has had many a grin around there in his Skyline (atached a pic just to show off, not sure if it will show as first time I've tried this)! I'm sure there are other places around too. Roads are good for getting the knee down around here too, there are some awesome hairpins around central coast.

Mandy
Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle test-ec1-aug-2002.jpg  
Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

sorry guys didn't realise it was SOOOO BIGGGGGG!!!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Found this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...asdrivers.html

There's a little footnote that says:

"If you have held your driver licence for less than 12 months you will be issued a NSW provisional P1 licence. If you have held your driver licence for more than 12 months but less than 3 years a provisional P2 licence will be issued. If you have held your motorcycle rider licence for less than 12 months you will receive a NSW provisional P1 rider licence."

"You must provide documentary proof of the first issue date of your overseas licence if the period for which you have held the licence is to be recognised for the issue of a NSW licence. Before you first attend the motor registry, you may wish to obtain a letter from the driver licence issuing authority (on their letterhead) of from your relevant consulate or diplomatic office, confirming your licence details, including the first issue date. If the letter is not in English, an official translation as mentioned above, is also required."
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Just passed my test (DAS) !!!! We're heading for NSW if we ever sell our house. I'm a bit concerned about the "If you haven't held your license for 12 months......." rule. I don't want to be stuck on a small bike when I go out there. I've checked the RTA site and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting around it. Someone mentioned if you're over 30 you can have a large bike straight away. I can't find any references to this, does anyone have any details????
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:05 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Right, that settles it. I'll take it here, don't want to have to mess about on a 125. I want a decent size bike so we can have a comfortable cruise around seeing the sights.

Gibson, did your hubby buy any kit (helmet, gloves, leathers etc.) or is the instructor supplying that so he can buy what he wants in Oz?
If you've only just passed the test in the UK you'll still have to use P plates here (W.A. anyway, for 2 years, I think)
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Should I get professional training?

Yes, you should. In fact, the way you go about getting a bike licence these days includes some excellent training.

You will need to contact the RTA on 13 22 13 to arrange your licence training and test. At the moment you are restricted to a motorcycle of 250 cc or less for the first year but that may soon change and bigger bikes may become available to beginners. If you are over 30 years old and have a Gold car licence, you are allowed to ride as big a bike as you like once you've passed your test.

Taken from NSW NRMA site ........... here is the link

http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/he...wer/bike.shtml
Old Jul 25th 2003, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Smile

This is starting to sound a bit more promising as I'm over 30 (sadly). In NSW you are awarded a 'Gold' drivers licence when you have been driving for 5 years. So, my question is, when I get my NSW licence do they take into account the 13 years I've had my UK drivers licence? Or do they re-start the clock and just give me a 'Silver' drivers licence?

Any comments would be a help, info on the internet is limited in this area.

Cheers!

Old Jul 25th 2003, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

When you pass your test and send in your old license you will be forced to have one of the new photo id licenses which give the date of passing your test on the rear.
Possibly worth considering a short stay in Victoria to obtain your Oz license before moving to where ever you want to settle?
Old Jul 27th 2003, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

NSW RTA have just confirmed. Overseas drivers licence holders will not be issued a Gold Licence, they will receive a 'one' or 'three' year Silver Licence. So, basically if you haven't had your UK bike licence for a year you get a Provisional licence (and all the restrictions) no matter what.