Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

motorcycle helmet question

motorcycle helmet question

Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default motorcycle helmet question

My muppet question for the week

what standards to lids have to be in Australia, do they have a British Standard Equivilant?

Its just that I'm about to pack our beloved skid lids and wont waste precious space if they are 'illegal' in Aus...

also .... how much is a decent lid over there? or is that a piece of string question?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motorcycle helmet question

Originally Posted by eddie007

what standards to lids have to be in Australia, do they have a British Standard Equivilant?

Its just that I'm about to pack our beloved skid lids and wont waste precious space if they are 'illegal' in Aus...

also .... how much is a decent lid over there? or is that a piece of string question?
There are a few threads on bikes over the years - this one suggests that you will need new helment
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285920
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eddie007

Helmet has to have Australian Standards sticker on it. If you have an accident while wearing a non-AS stickered helmet you could do your insurance.

Do a Google for prices

WW
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:42 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best of flogging em imho, cops will catch you for some minor offence then check all you details and you get an extra fine for not wearing aus standard helmet...shoei helmets range from approx $650 up to $1200.

Aus standard sticker must be kept on helmet and visor but cops not so hot on visor...most guys wear tinted visors...comes in handy for ogling babes near the beach!!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

We bought ours out - all fine but tbh no idea on regs, long as our heads were going to be protected - I was happy
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldn't bother packing them... just buy new ones over here. Plenty of bike hops around so I'm sure that you'll find one that'll give you a good deal!

you won't be covered by insurance (I've been led to believe it's viewed as not wearing a helmet at all), and the cops will fine you for it!

I've got a lovely shiny almost new UK helmet sitting in brisbane if anyone's thinking of going back to the UK!! hehehe
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:38 am
Just Joined

dairic is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering this myself about the lids, but i remenber something about the standards in oz being equivelent or even might be the (snell) test as they have in the us, which is better than the eu test as it does the penetration test ( no dirty comments please) which the old british standards test done but along came europe and they said no and britain just went along with it.