Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:48 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

I thought I would wake up this thread again.

Its been over 6 months, you must have all come out of hibernation now after the winter and are out there enjoying the summer on 2 wheels.

Hows the Triumph Graham? Still having fun?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

The BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really niceThe BBs is just really nice

Originally Posted by furkew

Its been over 6 months, you must have all come out of hibernation now after the winter and are out there enjoying the summer on 2 wheels.

Hi furkew,

Sadly we are still here in Blighty embracing the fabulous (NOT) winter blues with no motor biking to be done whatsoever! The snow has put and end to that where we live unfortunately and it still is bloody cold!

My RS Sprint is locked away in the garage with the trickle charger keeping it company for the time being. With any luck the weather will warm up again soon and she and I can go out and enjoy ourselves once again.

I have been seriously looking at the new Triumph Thunderbird and I really like what I have seen so far! I think when I (eventually) come out to Brisbane I will invest in one with the larger bore kit (1700cc) and take it south for a good run! It would be a great opportunity to meet up with like-minded fellows and get to see the beautiful Oz country side. Do you guys ever travel north to Queensland by bike?

Hope you are still enjoying the Oz way of life and having a great time on two wheels! I wish I was there right now doing the same thing and if the gods see it fit we may be lucky enough to sell our house over the next few months and possibly come out in the summer (UK summer). Here’s wishing!

Enjoy the riding and stay safe, keeping the green stuff below and the blue stuff up above!

The BBs.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:26 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I've added another steed to my stable, a yammy WR250 for a bit of adventuring in the bush, and i'm still trying to convince the finance comitee that I really do need a BMW Adventure for my bigger road trips, but I dont think i'm not going to win that one

I cleaned the bike today, and she was shining fabulously until the wife decided to get the leaf blower out to clean the deck

Still loving every minute of life down under.

Triumph are producing some very good bikes at the moment, and many are perfect for riding in Australia. A couple of friends have rockets, and they where built for Australian road trips. 1000k's a day is a breeze.

Hope all goes well with the house sale, and you can get make the big move soon.

Ride safe.

Paul.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Took the bikes (Bandits) out today for first time since mid December (it's been so cold).

Can't wait for Spring now.

Ha ha, but this time next year it won't be cold where we are.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 24th 2010 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

Tell me about it. Got the first chance/dry day today and dusted off the old girl.

Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:23 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Triumph is lovely! I've been riding all winter, unlike some of you soft folk out there!

Managed to go to my first track day on Monday at Eastern Creek. It's an amazing circuit and was so nice to stretch the legs properly on the bike. Properly scrubbed the tyres in now - that's for sure!

The picture doesn't really do it justice, I'm sure I was cranked over more and looked like Rossi

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone, has given me so much more confidence in the bike.

Cheers,

Graham
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:43 am
Going for a ride

Great pic.

Is that look in your eyes one of fear or exitement
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:00 am

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Is that look in your eyes one of fear or exitement
Concentration I think! Was buzzing for hours afterwards!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

thewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nicethewilk is just really nice

Seing as you won't be needing your knee sliders, can I have 'em?, as mine have worn out! Oh and here's a tip. Dont get your knee down over cats eyes. I scares the s**t out of ya! Aaaah, the joys of a day off on pay, a fast bike and empty roads!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by thewilk
Seing as you won't be needing your knee sliders, can I have 'em?, as mine have worn out! Oh and here's a tip. Dont get your knee down over cats eyes. I scares the s**t out of ya! Aaaah, the joys of a day off on pay, a fast bike and empty roads!
Didn't get my knee down, but pegs and toes!

Here's a link to a hot lap around Eastern Creek - how it should be done. 200km/hr + through turn 1! I thought I was good at 160!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAmnLbe2mvY

Graham
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

Just a thought about shipping.

My bike isnt new or special but would it be feasable to ship it over as parts to use on a project when I get there?

Would I still have the same issues with registering it?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know from experience:

My son got his UK bike license two weeks ago. It's an A2 license as he is 17 which means he is restricted to <25KW for two years in the UK then could ride any size bike after that if we stayed here.

But we are moving to Brisbane in September and will need to swap our licenses license for QLD ones.

He also has his car license which he will have had for a year when we move to Oz.

What status will that give him to ride a motorbike over there? Will he be restricted at all in what type of bike he can ride etc...?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

When we came years ago as older riders it was a quick quiz and there's your license but not sure if it's as easy for new young riders. Have a look on Queensland Transport as that's where you will go for you change over stuff http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...cycle_changes/

A nice place to ride a bike if you avoid the crap Aussie drivers and the police here are red hot on ticketing bikers who filter down side of traffic they want them all to sit like plonkers in the cue.

Hope that helps and may be see you around when you get Brisbane side.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Does anyone know from experience:

My son got his UK bike license two weeks ago. It's an A2 license as he is 17 which means he is restricted to <25KW for two years in the UK then could ride any size bike after that if we stayed here.

But we are moving to Brisbane in September and will need to swap our licenses license for QLD ones.

He also has his car license which he will have had for a year when we move to Oz.

What status will that give him to ride a motorbike over there? Will he be restricted at all in what type of bike he can ride etc...?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pproehann
When we came years ago as older riders it was a quick quiz and there's your license but not sure if it's as easy for new young riders. Have a look on Queensland Transport as that's where you will go for you change over stuff http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...cycle_changes/

A nice place to ride a bike if you avoid the crap Aussie drivers and the police here are red hot on ticketing bikers who filter down side of traffic they want them all to sit like plonkers in the cue.

Hope that helps and may be see you around when you get Brisbane side.

Yeah thanks. I have read the website many times but can't find a specific answer. I suppose we'll find out when get there and swap licenses.

As for filtering, that's bad news!

What's the point of riding a bike to beat traffic congestion then???
Old Mar 25th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northerner

Managed to go to my first track day on Monday at Eastern Creek. It's an amazing circuit and was so nice to stretch the legs properly on the bike. Properly scrubbed the tyres in now - that's for sure!

Thoroughly recommend it to anyone, has given me so much more confidence in the bike.

Cheers,

Graham
Daammn...that is so exciting mate, has been always my dream to give it a go on track!

At the moment, I have a Hornet CBF 600 but I'll have to sell it soon Visa should be comming soon now so hopefully wont be long before I'm in OZ. I dont think its practical to ship it to OZ so I guess will sell this and buy another one from OZ.

Soooo...how does that thing work in Eastern Creek? You book some group event for a few hours or? How much does it cost?

Really looking forward to drive in Sydney all over the place with whatever bike I'll have Do you guys drive every day to work with the bike. I'm planning to do that, hopefully will be feasible due to weather....but I guess it should be fine. Been going to work with bike for the last 17 years and I'm not planning to break this trend

Cheers
B1K3R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.