Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Motorbike Thread

The Motorbike Thread

Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:11 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice
Default Re: The Motorbike Thread

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Gorgeous bike. i would not want to part with it either..it will be worth waiting for if it takes a while to get liscensed.
Liz
Thanks i think it will be worth the wait to
Alan
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:32 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASHO
Thanks i think it will be worth the wait to
Alan
Very nice bike before & after.

Can understand that you want to keep it.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Are there any bike clubs/ride outs in the Cairns area
Liz
Not sure TBH but if you hang around the servo on the road to The Port (Douglas) people meet there, or there's a pub at the bottom of the Gillies where people meet to do the Range.
Lots of sports bikes about at the weekend.

Only problem you may have if you're not buying new is availability of the exact model you want. May have to go to Townsville or beyond. If you're coming in via Brisbane you could pick one up there and ride it up !

Andy
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:17 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Are motorbike frogs allowed in here?
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-motorbike-frog.jpg  
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

graniteman will become famous soon enough

Hey guys,

I'm currently Parts & Clothing Manager at Scotlands biggest Yamaha dealer.

Heading over to Sydney at the end of March on a 457 to work for Sydneys biggest Honda:curse: dealer. Cant wait.

Got sorted last week with brand new gear courtesy of one of my clothing reps, kevlar denims, vented textile jacket, vented gloves, vented boots and a pair of leather jeans plus getting a new lid from another rep so dont need to worry about buying my kit in Oz.

take it easy peeps

Andy2
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by graniteman
Hey guys,

Heading over to Sydney at the end of March on a 457 to work for Sydneys biggest Honda:curse: dealer. Cant wait.

Got sorted last week with brand new gear courtesy of one of my clothing reps, kevlar denims, vented textile jacket, vented gloves, vented boots and a pair of leather jeans plus getting a new lid from another rep so dont need to worry about buying my kit in Oz.

take it easy peeps

Andy2

Lucky you!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:59 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I'd give draggin's the OK..but probably cos there is bugger all choice...just dont buy the red camo one's....

Saw some guy with em on the other day and they looked shite...then when he took off his lid and he was 50 if he was a day...what a knob
One thing about the Draggin Jeans, try them on before you buy them. The sizes don't seem to match very well in comparison with a 'regular pair' of combat pants. Usually I'm a 34 inch waist, but I had to buy a pair of 38 inch waist ones just so I could get my legs into them, and be able to move in them and then pay for them to be adjusted.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by graniteman
Hey guys,

take it easy peeps

Andy2

lucky you indeed mate. you realise that you lid won't be legal in Oz? I'm sure they'd never check and at the end of the day it will be the same lid just with an ACU gold sticker instead of the oz version which I think is the SNELL tested sticker ?

Andy
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:48 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
lucky you indeed mate. you realise that you lid won't be legal in Oz? I'm sure they'd never check and at the end of the day it will be the same lid just with an ACU gold sticker instead of the oz version which I think is the SNELL tested sticker ?

Andy
I brought my Schubert with me, and after a spill, I claimed my lid on the insurance as well. They dont have schuberts here in Oz and the insurance company was at first not prepared to cover the damage, but I just forwarded links to the schubert website, and they paid out $500.00 without any probs. (was worth a lot more, but every bit helps)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:23 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
I brought my Schubert with me, and after a spill, I claimed my lid on the insurance as well. They dont have schuberts here in Oz and the insurance company was at first not prepared to cover the damage, but I just forwarded links to the schubert website, and they paid out $500.00 without any probs. (was worth a lot more, but every bit helps)
we have AGV - don't know if they stock them in Aussie - we will be riding with them as the ACU Gold sticker is good enough for my head - I've no intention of changing to an Aussie helmet just because a pen pusher in govt decided their version of the sticker is better - besides - given that the bussies care not a jot for people who ride around in shorts and t-shirts and thongs (as I've just mentioned on another biker thread today) I would go up against any fine etc in court to try and overturn any stupid reg which tries to say and ACU approved helmet is not good enough

as for legal - I ride with e dark visor and will probably do some tweaking with the number plate at some point too - being outside the law never bothered me in the past and it won't now I'm in Aussie - as in the UK - haven't they got better things to do (the bussies that is)
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jellibaby
we have AGV - don't know if they stock them in Aussie - we will be riding with them as the ACU Gold sticker is good enough for my head - I've no intention of changing to an Aussie helmet just because a pen pusher in govt decided their version of the sticker is better - besides - given that the bussies care not a jot for people who ride around in shorts and t-shirts and thongs (as I've just mentioned on another biker thread today) I would go up against any fine etc in court to try and overturn any stupid reg which tries to say and ACU approved helmet is not good enough

as for legal - I ride with e dark visor and will probably do some tweaking with the number plate at some point too - being outside the law never bothered me in the past and it won't now I'm in Aussie - as in the UK - haven't they got better things to do (the bussies that is)

They do stock AGV's here in Australia. I've been riding with a british bought Arai helmet for a number of years, and not once been pulled over for it, in all honesty i don't think they're really bothered about what approval your helmet has, more for the fact that you're wearing one.

As for tweaking your registration plate, you will have a bit of a job with that, as it's completely different to the UK system. Your plates are issued by the place that you register the vehicle. we don't have such things as plastic plates, and we don't have places that just make them, they're issued with the states 'logo' on them and there's not really anything you can do to change them. Even personalised plates are issued by the place that you've registered them.

I don't think dark visors are a problem over here, as far as i remember they sell them here, and i don't think i've come across anyone that's had a problem with it.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:04 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
They do stock AGV's here in Australia. I've been riding with a british bought Arai helmet for a number of years, and not once been pulled over for it, in all honesty i don't think they're really bothered about what approval your helmet has, more for the fact that you're wearing one.

As for tweaking your registration plate, you will have a bit of a job with that, as it's completely different to the UK system. Your plates are issued by the place that you register the vehicle. we don't have such things as plastic plates, and we don't have places that just make them, they're issued with the states 'logo' on them and there's not really anything you can do to change them. Even personalised plates are issued by the place that you've registered them.

I don't think dark visors are a problem over here, as far as i remember they sell them here, and i don't think i've come across anyone that's had a problem with it.
Hey Vikki, tell Gary that Simon who used to fix the trucks at Royal Mail has finally got to Oz & is working as the service manager at Central Coast Motorcycles in Gosford, my riding gear hasn't arrived yet but they have lent me a lid & a bike to go home on every night
It started off as a 125 scooter but now I'm riding this so I must be doing something right.

Cheers Sim
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-16022008073.jpg  
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

GaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the roughGaryVFR8s_Wife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by simnmax
Hey Vikki, tell Gary that Simon who used to fix the trucks at Royal Mail has finally got to Oz & is working as the service manager at Central Coast Motorcycles in Gosford, my riding gear hasn't arrived yet but they have lent me a lid & a bike to go home on every night
It started off as a 125 scooter but now I'm riding this so I must be doing something right.

Cheers Sim
Hey Simon,

Great to hear from you! How wonderful you're out here now!

We were looking forward to seeing you at the last Lancs Meet that we did and figured you'd probably be on your way as we hadn't heard anything. Not sure if you know, but we're expecting our first child in June of this year.

Gary will be stocked that you're over here and will be really pleased you're up at the central coast. Gives him another excuse to go visiting when we're in Sydney next!

Congrats in getting over, and please keep in touch!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:38 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8s_Wife
Hey Simon,

Great to hear from you! How wonderful you're out here now!

We were looking forward to seeing you at the last Lancs Meet that we did and figured you'd probably be on your way as we hadn't heard anything. Not sure if you know, but we're expecting our first child in June of this year.

Gary will be stocked that you're over here and will be really pleased you're up at the central coast. Gives him another excuse to go visiting when we're in Sydney next!

Congrats in getting over, and please keep in touch!
Congratulations on the Tassie baby

We where in the Isle of Man for a christening & a last piss up with my Manx racing mates when you had the last meet up.

Have your bike arrived yet? my lids & leathers land on the 26th but I've not had time to find any good roads yet, our house sale should complete this friday & a mint GSXR 1000 K5 has just been traded in at work, I had a test ride this morning & its ace, I can have it for $11,000 but I told Liz I would get something cheap first, but I really want it

Me & my brother Bob are hoping to do a track day at Eastern Creek next month using their new GSXR 600s, do you & Gary fancy a go?

Are you riding to Sydney or flying? Bob lives in Manly so we could meet up for a drink Or I'll bring a bike down, if you came into the shop you could get a test ride on the whole Suzuki, Benelli or Moto Morini range plus I heard today we are getting a MV Agusta demo bike.

Hope to see you soon
Sim
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

blackies is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I am new to the site & have fell upon this thread. I really need to know what is involved with importing to Melbourne. I have a 1 of a kind Duke & dont want to sell it. Will the import price be the price paid or will they try to charge more for all the bits that i have added to it. I am hoping to get my visa soon & sell our house
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails The Motorbike Thread-duke-desktop.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.