Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

motorbike export to Oz

motorbike export to Oz

Old Mar 26th 2004, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

gix883 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default motorbike export to Oz

Hi all and just enquireing as to exporting my bike/bikes from uk to Oz. The trouble i have is im bike mad and currently own 4 bikes.
After reading guidelines from customs apparently i can only import 1 vehicle in a 12 month period
So if i register one in the wifes name would that mean i can atleast take two of them with me.
Im thinking of the brisbane area and i must take my gsxr1000 that is in no doubt but does anyone know a way i can take more?????????????
If not will have to sell the others and start again but then it is meant to be a fresh start.
Thanks in advance .......
Old Mar 26th 2004, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I think the best thing you can do is sell them all and buy again in OZ what with the cost of shipping them, the hassle of re-registering them and the fact that they will be imports mean they will be harder to sell when you eventually sell them.

they do sell gixxer thous in Oz you know!

If I were you, I'd remove all the bolt ons, sell them back in std condition and take the bolt ons to OZ, get another when you get there and re-fit the bolt ons to it.

I've just bought a 98 Fireblade, will run it for the 4 years before we go, sell it and then buy another when we get there.

Andy.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:41 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful out there!

My cousin (in Australia) says they call motorcylce riders 'temporary residents' I think this is because of the risk of collision with wildlife rather than other vehicles, although some threads mention dodgy car driving as a bit of a problem too.

:scared:
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:50 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice
Default I cant see

an awful lot of use for super fast bikes in Oz boys...to be honest there are so many speed police EVERYWHERE your licence would last about a week...
It is alot worse than this country...I can tell ya

Get into dirt bike riding....my other half recons 60 mph on the dirt is just as exhilarating as 160 on what are very straight boring with lots of lights roads over there...or over here for that matter...dirt biking in Oz compared to here..well there is no comparison..wot a complete grin....

(hubby got a speeding ticket first time out in a car while we were over there,they are really tight on it)
just a thought....
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:52 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally posted by arnie2oz
Be careful out there!

My cousin (in Australia) says they call motorcylce riders 'temporary residents' I think this is because of the risk of collision with wildlife rather than other vehicles, although some threads mention dodgy car driving as a bit of a problem too.

:scared:
this could be true...the only Roos we saw where dead Roos...
Old Mar 27th 2004, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Cheers for the info guys, but i really would like to take my 1000 as i bought her new in 2001 and have only done about 2600 miles on it. She is still like brand new and dosnt have a mark on it cost new £9400 and if i were to sell it i think id be lucky to see £4500 back, and she is still very much like new. To get a bike like that in Oz i think id have to buy another new one so surley the loss i would take on her would make it worth while exporting her over with me.
I also am into my dirtbike scene and already own a yam wr which i use mainly off road although she is road registerd again i luv this machine but the cost involved probably wouldnt be worthwhile taking her. But i want to get involved in off road rideing in Oz can't wait!!!
The yamaha tz and gt380 would definatly have to go as wouldnt be practicle or cost effective to send over.
Anyone interested?????? lol
Old Mar 27th 2004, 6:56 pm
Moomin member

Originally posted by gix883
Cheers for the info guys, but i really would like to take my 1000 as i bought her new in 2001 and have only done about 2600 miles on it. She is still like brand new and dosnt have a mark on it cost new £9400 and if i were to sell it i think id be lucky to see £4500 back, and she is still very much like new. To get a bike like that in Oz i think id have to buy another new one so surley the loss i would take on her would make it worth while exporting her over with me.
I also am into my dirtbike scene and already own a yam wr which i use mainly off road although she is road registerd again i luv this machine but the cost involved probably wouldnt be worthwhile taking her. But i want to get involved in off road rideing in Oz can't wait!!!
The yamaha tz and gt380 would definatly have to go as wouldnt be practicle or cost effective to send over.
Anyone interested?????? lol
If you insist...stick it in the container...which Ive heard you can do if you have the room
Ive got a DT200WR too...but that wont be going with us,get some more when we are out there...

All the best with stickin with your loved one (the 1000)

pep
Old Mar 27th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

we are putting ours in our 20ft container if you want more info then pm me

arlene
Old Mar 27th 2004, 7:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: motorbike export to Oz

Originally posted by gix883
Hi all and just enquireing as to exporting my bike/bikes from uk to Oz. The trouble i have is im bike mad and currently own 4 bikes.
After reading guidelines from customs apparently i can only import 1 vehicle in a 12 month period
So if i register one in the wifes name would that mean i can atleast take two of them with me.
Im thinking of the brisbane area and i must take my gsxr1000 that is in no doubt but does anyone know a way i can take more?????????????
If not will have to sell the others and start again but then it is meant to be a fresh start.
Thanks in advance .......
Go to your local bike shop and buy a skel-crate or a bike box, this is the best way to load them in a container. other wise they will load on top of the bike, makes hell of amess of fairings etc. Also for road use in oz your speedo will have to changed to km, and side and indicator lights are dfferent. .............mm
Old Mar 28th 2004, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Default Re: motorbike export to Oz

Originally posted by mr mover
Go to your local bike shop and buy a skel-crate or a bike box, this is the best way to load them in a container. other wise they will load on top of the bike, makes hell of amess of fairings etc. Also for road use in oz your speedo will have to changed to km, and side and indicator lights are dfferent. .............mm
Good idea about crateing ty mrmover.
Changing the speedo on my 1000 is very easy you just push a button as its digital and hey presto its changed from mph to kmh.
But whats the differnce with side lights and indicators?
Please so i can look into how much mods are gonna rush me.
Come to think of it the only bike i own that isnt an import is my 1000 as the rest of em have kmh clocks anyhow lol.
Thanks for the replys and i can see i must really justify taking any of em really but will make my mind up if and when get a visa. Again many many thanks for all the info.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 9:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

These are addresses given out when people enquire at work about modifications for importing - I would suggest the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch is a good one to ask about modifications. Also, if you are coming to Queensland, then try the Queensland Transport Dept, as they also have info on modifying.
www.transport.qld.gov.au
Also if you're coming to Queensland, pm me and I might be able to find some addresses of people who can do the mods if necessary.
If going to a different state though, try the transport dept there, as all the states vary slightly.

* Vehicle Safety Standards Branch
Department of Transport and Regional Services
G P O Box 594
Canberra, ACT 2601
e-mail [email protected]
Internet: http://www.dotrs.gov.au/land/vehicle...s/impbroch.htm

* Customs Information Centre
Phone: 1300 363 263 (if in Australia)
Phone: +61 7 3835 3255
e-mail [email protected]
Internet: www.customs.gov.au

* Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
* G P O Box 858
* Canberra, ACT 2601
* Phone: +61 2 6272 5523
* e-mail: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
* Internet: www.aqis.gov.au <http://www.aqis.gov.au>
Old Mar 28th 2004, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info polyanna ive looked at the sites but do to the size of these sites and me not knowing what im looking for i will just email them. Thanks for the links though very useful.
Old Mar 28th 2004, 8:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest e-mailing might be the best way to go, as you can be more specific about your case, and don't forget to say where in Oz you are headed.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 8:36 pm
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Hi Gix

Just found this thread so apologies for late response. Hope you've got the answers already but from memory when we nearly migrated last year there were quite a few things to consider.

You'll pay tax, pay for a crate, have to get the bike standard checked by an engineer, have it steam cleaned, transport from the customs to engineer and get the import licence (yes, you have to pay again!).

I was adamant I was going to take my tricked Triumph Daytona 955 but quickly decided that it was cheaper to let it go and buy another. The strange thing was that despite being made in Britain, they are cheaper to buy new in OZ - bizarre.

Are you still sorted for Brizzy in May? We are now going in June hopefully, so keep in touch.

Just got in from a trip to The Oakdene Cafe at Wrotham Hill in Gravesend. The number of Police, harassing bikers is obscene - it can't be worse in Oz. Approx 60 officers on overtime. Absolutely barmy.