Reload this Page >

motor bike test?

motor bike test?

Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default motor bike test?

hi
My hubby has decided that when we get to perth he wants a motorbike (A BIG ONE!) He hasn't done a bike test in uk and wonders if it is worth doing one here or wait till he gets to oz.
any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
ellen1
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait till you get to OZ, or he will have to do it again.

Col
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you mean have to do another test when he gets there?? Do you mean a theory test ala the car one??

JAmes
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

If you hold a full UK driver's licence, you are able to drive the class of motor vehicle (Not Heavy Vehicles or Buses) that you are authorised to drive under that licence for the life of that licence. This only applies if you are not an Australian citizen, or you have not been granted a permanent visa or a special category visa. Ie if you are just visiting.

If you are an Australian citizen, or permanent resident you are only authorised to drive in Australia under your foreign driver licence for a period of three months starting from:

When you take up residence in Australia.

When you were granted the permanent visa or special category visa.

So basically if you hold a current full UK car license you can apply for a drivers licence of the same class as your UK licence. Due to recent changes in the Australian licensing laws, UK license holders are now exempt from the practical driving test, but you will need to comply with the following:

Produce your valid foreign licence and supporting evidence of identity.

Provide evidence of residence; (Visa In Passport)

Complete an application, which includes a medical declaration

Pass an eyesight test

Pass a Written Test, of approx 30 multiple-choice questions.

Complete all the above within the stated timeframe

Note: Each State or Territory may vary, please check.

Reminder: That in Australia, you generally have to carry your driving license (whether Australian or overseas) with you at all times. This is different from the UK.

http://www.pomsdownunder.com/faq.html#2
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks - but is it a theory test in nsw and do you have to do one for car and separate one for bike??

Cheers

James
Old Jul 17th 2003, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

susette is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just the one test which ensures you understand the Australian Road rules, you are then covered for classes of vehicles already on your existing UK licence, but you'll have to check this is true for the state of NSW.

Susette
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to do 2 theory tests, one for the car, and one for the bike.

Once you pass the Oz test, they (are supposed to) put a hole through your UK licence and stamp the paper portion invalidating it. This can be a pain, as if you only pass the car theory test, you would be riding a motorbike without a valid licence, but I am sure if you explained the situation they would understand. They may let you do both theory tests in the one sitting, and that would save you having to get your NSW licence re-issued when you do the motorbike test.

If you still maintain an address in the UK, you could report your UK license as stolen and get a new one. In theory, you could use this in Oz if you get stopped by the police to avoid accumulating points on your nice new NSW license. Once you have taken up residency, you may not get away with it though, but useful during your transition as the speed limits here take a bit of getting used to.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 9:00 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: motor bike test?

Originally posted by ellen1
hi
My hubby has decided that when we get to perth he wants a motorbike (A BIG ONE!) He hasn't done a bike test in uk and wonders if it is worth doing one here or wait till he gets to oz.
any advice would be appreciated.

cheers
ellen1

The bike test is pretty hard in the UK. it might be worth seeing if you can get a list of requirements for the test in each country. In the UK, you generally need to

1) U-turn without touching the ground on a smallish road.
2) motorway riding..
3) filtering responsibly
4) road positioning coming up to junctions and turning corners..
5) Emergency stops without skiding/sliding.

Those things are what I remember as being a bit of a pain (especially the damn U-turns!!).

If some of those are not done in Australia, I would do it there! On the other hand, if you do the test here in your local area you already have an advantage in that you know the roads/conditions etc.

Make sure he also does his test on a 500cc or bigger.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I have been investigating bike tests as I am shortly going for my licence in South Australia.

Here you have to do two 4 hours sessions at the licensing place - involving videos, theory and practical exercises. This is even if you have ridden before. However knowing and having to chatted to a couple of the instructors, I do know that they prefer to teach complete amateurs as they go through absolutley everything with you.

Once you have passed this part you can get your 'L's and then you have 4 months in which to practice and then take another 4 hour test after which hopefully you can get your 'P's which you then hold for about a year. BUT this only enables you to ride a bike up to 250cc.

You simply cannot go and get your bike licence and go out and buy the big fat Harley or Ducati you might dream of.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licen...bike/index.asp

Last edited by wizzywozza; Jul 18th 2003 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

suggest you get in touch with a trainer near where you live......there is the direct access test. you should be over 25 and have been driving for at least 2 years if I remember right
You will need to take a UK theory test for motorcycles and when you have passed that arrange to do the 4 day course which includes the CBT(wobbling about between cones), theory and practical exercises including riding on public roads with an instructor in radio contact and the the full motorcycle test on the final day.

You have to do it........it's the best fun you can have with your clothes on !!

p.s. I am arranging for the wife to do hers with Circuit based training at Mallory Park, very good instructors and with all safety clothing/motorcycle use etc. its around the £400 mark
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your useful advice, hubby has decided to do his test in uk at a cost of around £400.

cheers
ellen1
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for all your useful advice, hubby has decided to do his test in uk at a cost of around £400.

cheers
ellen1

In all probability he will have to sit it again here. I know Mike Peters did and he had been riding some monster bike in the UK for years. He did manage to circumvent some of the regs - knowing Mike he did that by some fast talking - but he had to do the full four hour test to get his licence here a few months ago. If I see him this arvo I will ask him about it.
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

would he (my hubby) have to resit the whole bike test or just the theory?

cheers

ellen1
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

cheers

ellen1

As far as I know - and this is South Australian rules - Mike had to do a four hour theory and practical, all done on the bog standard 250cc bikes that are supplied at the centre - not allowed to use your own bike. I would imagine your husband would have to do the theory as well because the road rules are different here, and differ from state to state as well.

My best friend took her bike test in NSW a couple of years ago and because she is over 30 years of age she can ride any size bike she wants. Currently on some beast of a Honda! Zapping up to the Sunshine Coast and other warm and beautiful parts!

I am taking my test in SA soon and am the same age as her yet can only ride up to a 250cc for about 18 months.

And Ellen - why let hubby have all the glory - YOU take the test too. When mid life crisis strikes you'll want a Harley
Old Jul 19th 2003, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers

ellen1

I believe that in South Australia you have to do both practical and theory whether it be for a car or a bike. They seem to be out of synch with other states where you just have to do the theory test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.