Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which is the most stressful event: Waiting to sell your house or waiting for a visa ?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Which is the most stressful event: Waiting to sell your house or waiting for a visa ?
Waiting to sell your house ?
59.09%
Waiting for a visa ?
40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the most stressful event: Waiting to sell your house or waiting for a visa ?

Old May 9th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Terry,

We covered this earlier, the most stressfull bit for us has been the exchange rate going down down and down for us Pommies in the UK,

The Visa was cut and dry so to speak, er the house could have been a different matter, but it's gone and now we are in rented, it's JUST THE $ RATE GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I want my cake and eat it .....
Old May 9th 2003, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Selling the house was by far the worse. It took 71/2 months from putting it on the market until completion, with two sales falling through in the meantime. It was a horrible time, so stressful for us all. BUT, it sold in the end and we got here. The awful memories of that time have faded and we're enjoying life here. (just waiting for my husband to wake up and we can be off for the day, sun is shining, it will be warm but not a scorcher today I think - go on sun prove me wrong!!).

Once you've sold and you're packing up etc it's stressful but it's different. It's a positive kind of stress not negative. You are actually doing something to make things happen.

Good luck to everyone selling their houses, may you sell, sell, sell quickly!

Loopy
Old May 9th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We where thinking of selling ours well before we got our shock request for meds, the market up here is going mad, people are putting there houses on the market and within a week they are sold, people are putting on closing dates etc to get the best price and cutting down the time. many with 1000's of pounds over the asking.

We will hopefully get ours on the market at the end of July,

Visa on the other hand, having the meds in by 20.06.03 we are thinking the visa should be granted about 3 months after.

Not stressing yet, my hubby bought this apartment to do up and sell, just need to finish it off ... thats the stressing thing.

But I am a pretty laid back person.

tell me that in a few months time
Old May 9th 2003, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

We where thinking of selling ours well before we got our shock request for meds, the market up here is going mad, people are putting there houses on the market and within a week they are sold, people are putting on closing dates etc to get the best price and cutting down the time. many with 1000's of pounds over the asking.

We will hopefully get ours on the market at the end of July,

Visa on the other hand, having the meds in by 20.06.03 we are thinking the visa should be granted about 3 months after.

Not stressing yet, my hubby bought this apartment to do up and sell, just need to finish it off ... thats the stressing thing.

But I am a pretty laid back person.

The finishing off bit is the worst. Especially when you know you are leaving and wont' even see it fully finished!!

I am sick of DIY and B&Q

tell me that in a few months time
Old May 9th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loopy
Selling the house was by far the worse. It took 71/2 months from putting it on the market until completion, with two sales falling through in the meantime. It was a horrible time, so stressful for us all. BUT, it sold in the end and we got here. The awful memories of that time have faded and we're enjoying life here. (just waiting for my husband to wake up and we can be off for the day, sun is shining, it will be warm but not a scorcher today I think - go on sun prove me wrong!!).

Once you've sold and you're packing up etc it's stressful but it's different. It's a positive kind of stress not negative. You are actually doing something to make things happen.

Good luck to everyone selling their houses, may you sell, sell, sell quickly!

Loopy

Hi Loopy

Thanks for the encouragement - We certainly need it

Take care
Old May 9th 2003, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi terry,For us it had to be the visa but then again we have had a 23 month wait.After all the shit with the visa the house sale and moving was easy street.However just as you think the stress is behind you a new worry exchange rates appeares and bites you in the ars.None of it is easy,you need a strong relationship ,100% sure it`s what you want to do and a hell of a lot of luck. jockney:scared:
Old May 9th 2003, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jockney
Hi terry,For us it had to be the visa but then again we have had a 23 month wait.After all the shit with the visa the house sale and moving was easy street.However just as you think the stress is behind you a new worry exchange rates appeares and bites you in the ars.None of it is easy,you need a strong relationship ,100% sure it`s what you want to do and a hell of a lot of luck. jockney:scared:
Hi Jockney

yes couldnt agree with you more. The stress seems to be endless as there is always another MAJOT hurdle to overcome. Obviously visa/house sales and exchange rate are the maor three - the main reson being that we have no/little control over these - we are always relying on a 3rd party.

the very best of luck to you and may see you soon (Essex do II)
Old May 10th 2003, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

both pretty stressful I would say.

We hoping to go to Perth, bev has her interview for a spouse visa on 30/5, we've just about got all the documents together now but been a stack of arguments along the way.

On the house front got the esate round a couple of weeks ago now. I'm keen to sell as I think the market in worcestershire where we live is topping out. The estate suggested that we might want to look at applying for planning permission ofr another house at the bottom of our garden which is fairly big, which if it all came off might be worth 100k - 110k as a plot without taking really anything off the house's value itself. Yes please!!!

Problem is that we will have to wait another 2 or 3 months now for planning permission to fo through. Also our nieghbours both of whom we get on well with (one an elderly lady and the other side a recently retired couple) know nothing of our plans to sell or go to aus, let alone planning for the build of another house, so we needed to come clean. We told the elderly lady on tuesday who though disapointted was understanding, but the other couple were away still having extended their holidays in france.

Anyway, this morning our son (4) comes running upstairs with the post which has a letter notifying us of the planning application a copy of which has gone to the whole street which has happening in a week!!. Thinking quickly we diecided to put a letter through next door saying that we had tried to come round on tuesday and explain but that obviously with them still being away we couldn't and that we were sorry they had got this letter out of the blue which must of been a bit of shock for them.
As I walk down there drive at 8 this morning the husband saw me and came out the house it seems they got back off thier hols last night. Suffice to say he was not best pleased with the plans or suddeness of it all. A very tricky and awkward converstation to have first thing, on what i was hoping was gonna be a relaxing day.

Bottom line I guess is it is one more thing out the way, and we just want things to go faster. No one can say no to the prospect of that type of money and sometimes you have to be a bit selfish i suppose.

Just wanted to share that one with you anyway, I am sure all this aggrevtion will be worth it in the end.

James
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: Which is the most stressful event: Waiting to sell your house or waiting for a visa ?

Originally posted by terryg
Please vote and feel free to comment
More comments here please.......

I MUST say that waiting for house sale is Soooooo much more stressful than waiting for the visas.

Regards

Terry

Old Jul 3rd 2003, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Therese is an unknown quantity at this point

We waited oooh... sooo... long for our visas and now are waiting oooh... sooo... long for a house sale. Our buyer has pulled out and the estate agent says things are slowing down. So I would put both as equal at the moment. Just makes me want to screeeeeeam . We are now thinking of just getting ourselves away with the money we will get from our endowments. Leave the house to the estate agent and what the heck go and have some fun. Pleased to see that we are not alone in this!

Funnily enough sold the car months ago!

Visas approved 9th April, got to validate by 16th November
Sydney here we come!
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Which is the most stressful event: Waiting to sell your house or waiting for a visa ?

house sale for us.
visa was very straightforward, spousal for hubby, i got citizenship from my mom being born in melbourne.
went on the market 5 weeks ago and got two offers on first day, one was 5k over asking price! it all seemed so easy then a week later they dropped out - too small for their large family. then the second couple were going ahead. we exchanged phone numbers, they even wanted alot of our furniture and kept saying how they had the "right " feeling about our house. we went happily off to portugal for a week and came back to find our place back in the property news....... they'd had a change of heart so back to square one after four weeks. we have had another offer of the asking price but this couple's property is only going up for sale tomorrow, so who knows how long this will take or if there will be long chain. we have tickets booked for sept 21st and will be on that plane anyway!
i am an optimist and husband a pessimist, my view is that solicitor can deal with the paperwork and wire the money to us, hubby thinks one of us will have to come back - me! we have enough funds to finance probably the first six months or so.
permanent funny feeling in my tummy though!
karen :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 9:11 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

selling the bleeding hosue is far more stressful....

limbo land ..thats the world i live in at the moment...

finished work more or less..just have to help out for holiday cover till end of july then thats it....
i gave work 8 weeks notice and thought that we would be more or less sorted by now...but no"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the vodkakakakakaka...........

well it goes down nicely..good job im not having my medical soon..and needing liver function tests...:scared: :scared:

my hubby is the optomist out of the two of us and doesnt get stressed but i like everything done like yesterday!
oh well..........
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting the visa was easy! Selling the house is a real pig.
Its driving me mad and im dreaming about it now.

BooBoo
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by booboo
Getting the visa was easy! Selling the house is a real pig.
Its driving me mad and im dreaming about it now.

BooBoo
Dont worry B

I'll find ya a house and get ya both jobs and a school for C before you get there.

Uncle T
Old Jul 4th 2003, 1:26 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Visa definitely

Definitely waiting for the visa - we sold our house in 10 days - basically to avoid any market crash and to show that finance was available for the proposed move / show how serious we are.

Good luck with either though.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.