Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mosquitos - help!

Mosquitos - help!

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:13 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Mosquitos - help!

Any advise on what we can do for mosquito bites. They seem to love us

Sounds trivial but swelling up like balloons around each bite, really itchy and painful. Help please on remedies to stop the itching and swelling. The over the counter stuff we got isn't helping.

We use aeroguard, off (hubbie calls it ON!) and citronella candles when we sit outside but no luck.
Thanks a lot,
Irish Gal
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mosquitos - help!

sit inside!

sorry, that's not help. my husband is the one that is usually eaten alive. he find that my son's nappy rash cream help or pawpaw cream is quite good too - vaseline type stuff in red tub or tube.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal

Sounds trivial but swelling up like balloons around each bite, really itchy and painful. Help please on remedies to stop the itching and swelling. The over the counter stuff we got isn't helping.

We use aeroguard, off (hubbie calls it ON!) and citronella candles when we sit outside but no luck.
Thanks a lot,
Irish Gal
Make sure you spray your ankles....don't scratch it - just like your mother said ....and wait a few years....a lot of people (including my wife) get some sort of immunity after a while....the huge welts she used to get stopped happening.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Thanks a lot,
Irish Gal
Same here – my OH and kids can be outside for hours and not get a bite - I only have to set foot through the door and POW they’ve got me. It was so bad when we first arrived here that my son used to call me ‘polka dot woman’ because of the way I used to come out in big hard round lumps. They did not just itch they hurt too. I’ve tried all sorts of sprays including Bushman’s which stinks to high heaven, bracelets, stick on patches but nothing seems to stop them. I must be a good feed.

I’ve given up trying to stop the blighters biting me. I now take anti-histamines, usually Polaramine tablets (pharmacist only) or claratyne. It doesn’t stop the bites but at least I don’t itch so much. The reactions don’t seem as bad as the used to be either – probably because my blood is one quarter anti-histamine now.
Mx
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Take your B vitamins or start eating marmite/vegemite!
We also use Aeroguard tropical & mosquito coils when I think about it! I have an automatic release bug spray now too!
We have dengue to consider where we are so I do actually take it quite seriously. make sure that all possible breeding sources are minimailsed ie anything that holds water in your garden, including the plants!
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Garlic...seriously.

My Nan used to swear by it to deal with midges.

Brian Lenehin is a user (then again midges are the least of his worries)

http://www.garlic-central.com/mosquito.html
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:55 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a bite, try sticking a little square of sellotape over it, as quickly as possible.

You'll find it stops the itching (if you get in quick enough) and even if you do scratch, you don't do damage to the skin.

Past that, make sure you have no standing water anywhere nearby where they could breed.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 4:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered badly while living in Spain.....gave up counting at 500 bites last summer Then I discovered lemon juice. A slice of fresh lemon rub it on the bite and it eases the itching and stops the swelling. Worked for me and made life more tolerable. I tried all the different sprays.....I love marmite and garlic and eat both regularly but that didn't keep the blighters away Some people they love and some they hate....they loved me
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:01 pm
Banned

spaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant futurespaniola has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lionda
I suffered badly while living in Spain.....gave up counting at 500 bites last summer Then I discovered lemon juice. A slice of fresh lemon rub it on the bite and it eases the itching and stops the swelling. Worked for me and made life more tolerable. I tried all the different sprays.....I love marmite and garlic and eat both regularly but that didn't keep the blighters away Some people they love and some they hate....they loved me
Everyone loves you
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Garlic...seriously.

My Nan used to swear by it to deal with midges.

Brian Lenehin is a user (then again midges are the least of his worries)

http://www.garlic-central.com/mosquito.html

I concur. Eat garlic.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 6:05 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spaniola
Everyone loves you
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot,
Irish Gal
Get yourself a mosquito clicker.

http://www.mosquitoclick.com/

I was a bit dubious at first, but they really do work. Takes away the itch more or less straight away.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Wear light coloured clothes as mossies are attracted to the dark.

I use Odomos (it's an Indian make) repellent and swear by it. It contains N'N Diethyl Benzamide as an active ingredient (so look for any cream that contains this) and is reported to be non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. I have used it for 30 years ever since I was a kid in India. Am going to get a huge supply back when I go to India in Jan, let me know if you want some

Also, keep all windows and doors (if you don't have a mosquito screen) closed during dusk and dawn.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy Antihistamine cream over the counter at chemists.
Go buy some of this its the best stuff for getting rid of any itch and stop swelling.

We use it for allergies but tried it on bites and it works a treat.

If its any help, I got bit too death when we first arrived. 2half years later I hardly get bitten. Think they like new blood!

Gems
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife has been suffering badly recently - had to get antibiotics.

I have ordered a mosquito key-ring and repellent stickers from http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.mosquito. Will report back when they arrive.

In the meantime best thing to do with any bite is ice it for 20mins.

You could use Listerine http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/11...ng-mosquitoes/

http://www.slate.com/id/2123291/ you may be able to get them here.

Toothpaste and ice best for bee-stings http://www.slate.com/id/2088863/

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.