Mosquitos

Old May 31st 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Question Mosquitos

We are moving to Perth in August but we are travelling down in Jun/Jul to look for a rental. I live in KL at the moment and because it's been raining every day for the past week the mosquitos are out in force and I have at least 6 bites in the past 2 days. Unfortunately it's only me and the girls that get bitten, OH and the boys don't. Are there any places in Perth that we should avoid (lakes, reserves, the hills) known for lots of mossies? or is the situation not too bad? How long is the mossie season?

I'm ok with snakes (had a cobra on the house steps and a python in the cupboard) but the mossie bites drive me crazy despite doing all I can to prevent them - got one under my watch strap that itches like the devil.

Galba
Old May 31st 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mosquitos

That's something i'm concerned about as well, never experienced them until last year on a trip to barbados, my kids and oh were fine, but they had me for breakfast lunch and dinner!!!!!!!!! Is it really bad in perth, where i'm heading, do the lotions and potions all work?
Old May 31st 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

UGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really nice

Well in Brissie if you are in the shade so are the mozzies, closer to the coast we get sandflies that are worse.We all have loads of bug spray and learn to live with it,but we do also spend a fortune on candles,morten mozzie coils so dont worry, most people here have bites I think people react to them differently though. I scratch them to death and my OH can ignore them ....Good Luck
Old May 31st 2007, 8:31 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

They get me too and i have a reaction to the anasthetic? they put in you so come out in big red boil like lumps
i found they dont like you so much if you stink of garlic (neither does anyone else for that matter) but it works for me so extra garlic please.
Old May 31st 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

UGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really niceUGLY BETTY is just really nice

I have heard that taking extra vitamins also works but did,nt for me and vegemite works but I don't like the taste so just stick to the sprays
Old May 31st 2007, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Old bloke with family is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard some mozzies carry a virus i believe it is called the ross river virus and i am led to believe the symtoms can last a year!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

It's strange how some people are more affected than others. I get bit to pieces if they are around and one of my sons, but oh doesn't get that many bites at all.
S xx
Old May 31st 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Streaks
It's strange how some people are more affected than others. I get bit to pieces if they are around and one of my sons, but oh doesn't get that many bites at all.
S xx
Hate them!!! little buggers. I react so badly to them.

Read this about them which might help (haven't tried yet!)

"Mosquitoes, like other insects, see in the blue,
ultraviolet spectrum. So they're attracted to blue lights and
clothing, but not to reds and yellows."
Old May 31st 2007, 11:21 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I ventured out into our backyard the other day, fully wrapped up because it was a bit chilly but foolishly I left my hands exposed and didn't put any mozzie spray on (it was cold, during the day, hadn't rained for days - I thought I was safe). I was out for about 10 minutes - and I got bitten

I think if you're susceptible to mozzie bites they'll get you wherever you are! But the mozzies may be different to the ones you're used to, maybe they won't take a shine to you, and you'll be okay. You'll only find out when you get here.

I think taking vitamin B supplements has helped a bit, but the main difference for me after 3 years is that my tolerance level of the bites is much greater, so the itching doesn't bother me so much now.
Old May 31st 2007, 11:25 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old bloke with family
I have heard some mozzies carry a virus i believe it is called the ross river virus and i am led to believe the symtoms can last a year!
Or longer. The Ross River virus some mozzies carry haven't reached the Perth Metro area yet but they are buzzing around the Mandurah area and further south. We got a government directive last year to cover up as the virus was rampant in Mandurah.

Mozzies thrive around water and bush/ greenery. To the OP, yes, avoid water, bush, forests and think of living in the desert
Old May 31st 2007, 11:26 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I ventured out into our backyard the other day, fully wrapped up because it was a bit chilly but foolishly I left my hands exposed and didn't put any mozzie spray on (it was cold, during the day, hadn't rained for days - I thought I was safe). I was out for about 10 minutes - and I got bitten

I think if you're susceptible to mozzie bites they'll get you wherever you are! But the mozzies may be different to the ones you're used to, maybe they won't take a shine to you, and you'll be okay. You'll only find out when you get here.

I think taking vitamin B supplements has helped a bit, but the main difference for me after 3 years is that my tolerance level of the bites is much greater, so the itching doesn't bother me so much now.

Buy a Yard Guard, they zap the little bastards!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
They get me too and i have a reaction to the anasthetic? they put in you so come out in big red boil like lumps
i found they dont like you so much if you stink of garlic (neither does anyone else for that matter) but it works for me so extra garlic please.
Take Thiamin - works really well to stop them biting.
I was told they are into you if you have a B deficiency - worked a treat 4 me with mozzies and sand flies
Old May 31st 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Mandurah area (shire not just town) is apparently renowned for mossies, however where we live it's ok. If you are anywhere near the estuary they are bad, we're coastal so they're not.

However, spray on aeroguard and they don't come near !
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing for mozzies ( I react terribly to their bites too) is to spray on skin So Soft body oil spray or any other Skin so Soft product. smells nicer than aeroguard and it really works. I also take vitamin B1 and eat a lot of vegemite.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:28 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
Buy a Yard Guard, they zap the little bastards!
Yes, that's the plan when we get our own place. I saw a recommendation by Arkon for something (not sure if it was a yard guard) that hopefully will mean I can sit out in the garden and not get bitten (and constantly worry that the mozzie protection cream is wearing off / not properly applied etc). I don't mind if it's a bit of an expensive solution, as the current situation is pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.