Mosquitoes

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Smile Mosquitoes

Hi

We are going over for our reccie in March to Perth, Sydney and Gold Coast. My 7 year daughter old is unfortunately always bitten by mozzies over here and so I am wondering what it is like in Oz for mozzies? I have a feeling that Gold Coast will be the worst of the three what with the humidity.

Can anybody advise something suitable for prevention of mozzy bites please that's suitable for a 7 year old without using chemicals?

p.s. she hates marmite

Thank you all in advance
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mosquitoes

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi

We are going over for our reccie in March to Perth, Sydney and Gold Coast. My 7 year daughter old is unfortunately always bitten by mozzies over here and so I am wondering what it is like in Oz for mozzies? I have a feeling that Gold Coast will be the worst of the three what with the humidity.

Can anybody advise something suitable for prevention of mozzy bites please that's suitable for a 7 year old without using chemicals?

p.s. she hates marmite

Thank you all in advance
Rid is very good and if you apply properly, and reapply regularly to make up for what is sweated off, you won't get bitten. Smells ok and isn't offensive but buy the pump action rather than the aerosol. Vitamin B works for some but not all.
Above all, if she is bitten apply some sting ease and do not let her scratch them!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

buffandco is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually get bitten by the mossies so when I went to Peth in November I started taking vitamin B about 2 weeks before and I didn't get bitten at all - worth a try!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I havent found anything non-chemical that works for me.

I get bitten terribly, at the moment I have about 20 bites on my legs and a few on my arms(I am in Sydney). I cant step outside in the evening without attracting them. It is unusual for me, I grew up in South Africa which also has a lot of mozzies, but never really got bitten.

Get a good spray and make sure you use it everytime you go outside in the dusk/dark. I have learnt my lesson after doing some gardening in the evening last week and forgetting, I look like I have chicken pox

A lot of people have had some luck with an Avon product (cant remember what its called) but it didnt work for me, worth a try though if you want to avoid the sprays. I have also found that the vit B thing doesnt work for me either. Oh well
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi

p.s. she hates marmite

Thank you all in advance
On learned advice I've also been taking a daily Vitamin B Complex supplement, seems to improve things as I used to get bitten all the time.

Other than that, avoid standing water and twilight is my best advice ... you can't get away from 'em but they are considerably less annoying here in Winter.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:44 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

mozzies did not bother me it was the bloody flies that did my head in
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buffandco
I usually get bitten by the mossies so when I went to Peth in November I started taking vitamin B about 2 weeks before and I didn't get bitten at all - worth a try!
Doesn't work for me! If there's only one mosquito around, it will find me and give me hell. I still have quite bad reactions (swelling, blisters and terrible itching) and I get bitten during the day as well as evening if I'm not careful. I use a natural remedy-type lotion that's got citronella and other stuff in it, as I don't want to use the chemicals in stuff like Rid on a long-term basis, either on myself or the kids. There are more options than Rid in the supermarkets, chemists or health food shops. I'd scour the shelves of Boots before you come, so that you've got something with you for your first evening.

The itching can drive me mad and stop me sleeping. I've found that red Tiger Balm is the only thing to stop the itching.

I'll have another look at what's available here on my next shopping trip. The mossies are worse near wet areas such as the river and swamps - where are you staying in Perth?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Neil52
mozzies did not bother me it was the bloody flies that did my head in
Oh no! Do they bite?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Doesn't work for me! If there's only one mosquito around, it will find me and give me hell. I still have quite bad reactions (swelling, blisters and terrible itching) and I get bitten during the day as well as evening if I'm not careful. I use a natural remedy-type lotion that's got citronella and other stuff in it, as I don't want to use the chemicals in stuff like Rid on a long-term basis, either on myself or the kids. There are more options than Rid in the supermarkets, chemists or health food shops. I'd scour the shelves of Boots before you come, so that you've got something with you for your first evening.

The itching can drive me mad and stop me sleeping. I've found that red Tiger Balm is the only thing to stop the itching.

I'll have another look at what's available here on my next shopping trip. The mossies are worse near wet areas such as the river and swamps - where are you staying in Perth?
Thanks Helen - I will definitely take something with us. We are staying with one lot of friends in Morley for a week then another lot of friends in Waneroo for a week - can't wait!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:08 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Other than that, avoid standing water and twilight is my best advice ...
Avoiding standing/stagnant water is good advice, but I don't think that avoiding stephanie meyers' "twilight" series will help much.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by asprilla
I don't think that avoiding stephanie meyers' "twilight" series will help much.
But it is just general good advice
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you dont have any holes in your fly wire and dont go outside would be pretty much the only way to avoid them. Although they have been known to zip in if the door is opened to let a person in.

I havent found anything to repel the damned things either and Stingose is my friend.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
Make sure you dont have any holes in your fly wire and dont go outside would be pretty much the only way to avoid them. Although they have been known to zip in if the door is opened to let a person in.

I havent found anything to repel the damned things either and Stingose is my friend.
Yeah, stingose is great, except it leaves those white marks where its been rubbed in. Tiger balm also works, burns a bit when you put it on, but works great.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:50 am
ABCDiamond

If you do get bitten, try an antihistamine to stop the itching.

Some of these have an age limit of 12, so, see what you can get for a child before you leave.

Best way to avoid being bitten is to stand next to a newly arrived Brit.
Mozzies can tell who has the new blood, and they seem to prefer the British

Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:50 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Avoiding standing/stagnant water is good advice, but I don't think that avoiding stephanie meyers' "twilight" series will help much.
I don't think you can avoid it, even I know it exists but that is thankfully all ... I'm so out of touch with culture the last film I saw at the cinema was Hitchhikers Guide and that put me off going again ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.