Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mosman, NSW - good for families

Mosman, NSW - good for families

Old May 31st 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default Mosman, NSW - good for families

Anybody in Mosman area? My husband's friend who lived in sydney recommended the area. Is it a family friendly area? Any insider tips? Thank you.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mosman, NSW - good for families

If you're quite wealthy and can afford Mosman I'm sure it would be great for kids!
Old May 31st 2010, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely area but you will need VERY deep pockets!
Old May 31st 2010, 9:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, it's Yummy Mummy Land

Some nice boutiques but I think I'd die of boredom there, and travel to the CBD is a pain.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:57 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

What do people mean when they ask if a place is "good for families"? What exactly are they looking for?

Mosman is pretty good for anyone that can afford it - although the traffic is atrocious and I don't see that ever changing. If you're not heading into/back from the CBD at typical rush hour times it's difficult.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Hi there

All that has been said so far is very true, its a very expensive and smart area, take a look at the shiny new skatepark http://www.mosman.nsw.gov.au/mosman/...ion/skate-park. Have a look at this for a bit more info on the area http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...lts/NSW/Mosman the latest Domain figures put the median house price at 1.2 million but if you have that kind of cash it is a very nice area, but if it is a touch out of your price range you could nip up the road to Neutral Bay where the median is a touch cheaper at 1 million.

Happy hunting

Bob
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

I was told that you can actually catch a ferry to CBD from Mosman. Yummy mummies? Hmm... Not sure I'm one, but it seems like a lovely area.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushimania
I was told that you can actually catch a ferry to CBD from Mosman. Yummy mummies? Hmm... Not sure I'm one, but it seems like a lovely area.

Balmain is much nicer. Similar demographic, perhaps a little younger in outlook, but more space and without the painful transport links to and from the city.

S
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there is Sydney Ferry timetable link

Mosman is a very nice area but, as others have said, you'll have to pay for it. And the only public transport (apart from the ferry) are buses that crawl along Military Road during the rush hour. Try looking at the neighbouring suburbs for cheaper rentals which would be a short walk/bus journey to Mosman town centre.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:44 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that you can actually catch a ferry to CBD from Mosman.
Yes, you can - it's very good news because otherwise you would have to endure Military Rd etc and across the Bridge into town.

But the transport is good only for one direction i.e. the CBD and all points south! If I remember from your previous posts (sorry if I am confusing you with someone else), your OH is going to be working normal business hours in the CBD. As long as you live nearish to the ferry, then s/he'll be laughing. You, on the other hand, are going to be in traffic...

Balmain v Mosman: I like them both. Not a lot in it. Balmain's transport is a bit better but the Victoria Rd is still pretty heavy going either way. Mosman's shopping is a bit glitzier and it has a big shopping centre with supermarkets. Balmain has decent shopping too and then there's the shopping centre one suburb over at Birkenhead Point. If you're a beachy type, it's a bit of a haul to the beach. Balmain has a very good Catholic primary school. Don't know anything about the other schools.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent area and fantastic for families beautiful with excellent schools but one of the most expensvive suburbs in Australia. 4-8k a month for rent though in a basic house.

Military road is one not pleasant to drive on weekends. as someone Said Balmain has much better ciyt transport links.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road

We are currently renting in Mosman and we find it very suitable for children - other than the traffic. I think groceries and other goods are overpriced here. But we are near Avenue Road and it's great because we can walk to preschool, parks, doctor, swim center and all the shops we could need. I feel right at home pushing a pram around. Unfortunately to buy here is very expensive, but it's been good for a temporary location with no car and young children. Nice to be close to Balmoral Beach and Taronga Zoo as well! And easy to take a bus into the CBD, Chatswood, or Waringah Mall.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

My son used to live in Mosman and we visited a few times.

As above: it is expensive but there is a ferry to central quay so travel to the city needn't be difficult......driving is a different matter though
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:16 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, is this a thread on which we all - even Grayling - agree?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Mosman is very built up. Houses are packed in like sardines. Traffic is horrendous. I found it to be very claustrophobic. However, it is a very safe area and the ferry ride to circular quay is a lovely way to commute. I would not choose to live there again (unless I had $5m+ and could live in Clifton Gardens lol). Each to their own I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.