Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgage's In Oz

Mortgage's In Oz

Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

rnpeg will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mortgage's In Oz

Is there tax relief on the mortage interest payments in Oz ?
Would need to factor this into affordability calcs.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seanpears99
No worries mate, we earn about 250 a year between us, one permie one contractor (me) and bring in around 14k per month but bills are expensive and with the mortgage to be and general bills will come in at about 8k per month so 6k spare.

Depends on if you are permie tho as you cant track back as much cash and the salaries are always lower for permies.

Where are you wanting to buy? What do you do? PM me if you like?

Cheers

Sean
Have PM'd you mate
Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree No 15, but the high end houses where I live have also struggled to sell. The 600s to 800s seem to be going quite quickly which is why we have pitched in that space but for me and where I live Coomera Waters, location plays a big part.

Rent is coming down slowly but its still astronimcally high in some circumstances, we pay 600 per week and I can now get a place on the water for 635 a week. Its better for us to buy then line someone elses pockets but then only if you are in that position is it better.

I think if you can build there is still money to be made which is why we are having a go at it...I am hoping after spending 680 on the build it will be worth 750-780 once its build after comparisons to other houses where we live.

If I could build and promise myself that each year, I could get a saturday job
Think hard. I too have the cash to buy outright and I live in a very exclusive (urgh..I hate that word) area, inner city. Would I - certainly not. I get a much higher return from a bank account, circa 5.5.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rnpeg
Is there tax relief on the mortage interest payments in Oz ?
Would need to factor this into affordability calcs.
Not for home owners for own residence.

Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:46 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
The bubble is going to burst...it's slowly deflating here in Brisbane at the moment.
I would have thought the bubble would burst or slowly deflate.
How can it do both ?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Lee The mortgage Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi oxford lad

Your have quite a healthy income which makes thing a bit easier for you.
the problem being is the size of deposit you have, it is possible to arrange low deposit loans but you will have to pay (LMI) Lenders Mortgage Insurance - This is payable by you and is an insurance that covers the lender - NOT YOU- in the event that you default on the loan and can be quite expensive. LMI is usually payable on anything less than a 20% deposit
having said that if you are looking to buy in WA, Keystart may be an option if you are a 1st time buyer, they accept 4% but need 2% genuine savings but will include the First home buyers grant (FHOG) in your deposit

Its very difficlut to give you any concrete advice until getting more in depth details from you,
Get in touch via email, I would be happy to help

All the best.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Its better for us to buy then line someone elses pockets
What about interest payments to bank, mortgage insurance, home insurance, council rates, maintenance costs...etc etc? Then you also include the one-off costs associated with the purchase of a property.

But agree with your strategy, buy land or a dilapidated house and build/renovate it yourselves. Have done that myself
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Examples of Lenders Mortgage Insurance on a 100% Loan in Australia.
  • Less than $300,000: 2.02% to 2.85% of the loan amount.
  • $300,000 to $500,000: 2.61% to 3.71% of the loan amount.
  • Greater than $500,000: 3.33% to 3.42% of the loan amount

UK Lenders Mortgage Insurance
  • On fully verified 100% loans, dependent on the lender and the risk, mortgage insurance can cost up to 3% of the amount you are borrowing.
  • If you have 20% or more deposit and all other factors are in line, mortgage insurance is generally not charged.

It actually doesn't seem much different between the two countries.

Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IndieG
What about interest payments to bank, mortgage insurance, home insurance, council rates, maintenance costs...etc etc? Then you also include the one-off costs associated with the purchase of a property.

But agree with your strategy, buy land or a dilapidated house and build/renovate it yourselves. Have done that myself
What about after the mortgage is paid off ?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What about after the mortgage is paid off ?
you mean if mortgage paid off

or

what about if/after house prices fall and you can buy it cheaper in a couple of years
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:00 am
ABCDiamond

you mean if mortgage paid off

or

what about if/after house prices fall and you can buy it cheaper in a couple of years
B: Does it matter if drops in price ? I never worried when mine did, it was somewhere to live.

If you start working on will it drop or will it rise, you are investing or gambling, not buying a home.

A: If it isn't paid off, then that is your choice. Many people pay off even before the 25 years is up, helped by inflation with wages rising, with rents rising, but repayments staying relatively steady.

Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

B: Does it matter if drops in price ? I never worried when mine did, it was somewhere to live.
It does, in my case as I am still not sure how long I'd like to stay here, next five years is definite, not sure after that. So far so good, but when my kids are independent, I'd like to return to India. In my case I could be exposed not only to currency risks but also a potentially high loss of capital should prices fall (in the area I'd like to continue to live in, a smallish 3 bed plus study townhouse costs in excess of $1.5 mio). I am quite happy renting as long as my investments in other assets are giving me significantly better returns and liquidity.

If you start working on will it drop or will it rise, you are investing or gambling, not buying a home.
Buying a property as a "home" to live in or a "house" to rent out is an investment - no matter what you think or say. I consider where I live now as my home although I rent it.

I am not about to spend $$$$$s just to be able to satisfy my freedom to drive some nails on every wall and hang pictures.

A: If it isn't paid off, then that is your choice.
My choice I don't need a mortgage.

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 26th 2010 at 6:55 am.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:16 am
ABCDiamond

My choice I don't need a mortgage.
Then that is your choice

Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No 15
Think hard. I too have the cash to buy outright and I live in a very exclusive (urgh..I hate that word) area, inner city. Would I - certainly not. I get a much higher return from a bank account, circa 5.5.
Ubank is doing 5.85% and an extra .10% if you set up a standing order for a $100 a month. It's not a term deposit so you can withdraw/deposit funds as you wish. Ubank is owned by NAB and it's easy to set up online and you'll need a mobile phone number.

I agree, rental yeilds are rubbish right now, average 4% in Perth, less 1.5% maintenance costs, sure you get negative gearing but only works when prices rise every year otherwise you'd be better off putting that extra money in the bank.

https://www.ubank.com.au/ub/web/home

Glenn Stevens (RBA) says property market may be overheated is a sure sign that rates are on the up, great for us savers.

In the first of a series of excerpts from the interview, being broadcast on Sunrise this week, Mr Stevens cautioned against property investment as a "riskless'' path to riches.

"I think it is a mistake to assume that a riskless, easy, guaranteed way to prosperity is to be leveraged up into property,'' he said.

"It isn't going to be that easy.''
http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...-1225846811203