Mortgages

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default Mortgages

We are presently house owners in the UK and when we took out our mortgage, it was something around 3.5 x the highest earner's salary..so £35,000 would get you £122,500.

How does it work in Australia... 3.5x ?

If we came over to Perth (and after renting for a while) we'd need to look at getting a mortgage but need to know how the mortgages work. We've heard from people on the ground that it can be as high as 9x (crazy) and others have said as long as you can pay it, they'll give you it (scary).

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:52 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortgages

Originally Posted by BudBrain
We are presently house owners in the UK and when we took out our mortgage, it was something around 3.5 x the highest earner's salary..so £35,000 would get you £122,500.

If we came over to Perth (and after renting for a while) we'd need to look at getting a mortgage but need to know how the mortgages work. We've heard from people on the ground that it can be as high as 9x (crazy) and others have said as long as you can pay it, they'll give you it (scary).

Based on 'ability to pay'. 3.5 times salary type calculations don't really come into it. They see what other debts you have, make some basic guesses on other fixed costs and then say you can afford to pay 'X' per month and that means you can borrow 'Y'
Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. So would that be based on the highest earners salary or on both of ours?

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if I was earning, for example, $55,000 and the wife $30,000 (with no other debts) - would we be able to get a mortgage around $400,000.

Any popular Australian mortgage calculators?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Never known anything as high as 9x income for a mortgage here.

Most banks have calculators, so you can get an idea of what they will lend, and they have been pretty accurate with any that I have been involved in.

This one from St George is one example: http://www.stgeorge.com.au/personal/...orrowing-power

They would lend up to $386,000 for a $70,000 income from a quick check that I did. That's about 5.5 times income.

A similar check on HSBC.co.uk gave a figure of 3.2 times income.

Basically as long as you can repay it, it should be OK, but factor in another 2% on interest rates for the future.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just debts, but any line of credit.

So if you have credit cards with $30k limit total, even if they have zero balance that would be deducted from the theoretical maximum they would lend.

Borrowing $400k on $85k income doesn't sound like a great idea.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:06 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks. So would that be based on the highest earners salary or on both of ours?

I guess what I'm really trying to find out is if I was earning, for example, $55,000 and the wife $30,000 (with no other debts) - would we be able to get a mortgage around $400,000.

Any popular Australian mortgage calculators?
Incomes of $55,000 + $30,000 would get you $515,000 or 6.05 times income.

Monthly repayments of $3,700 which is about 62% of net income leaving you $532 pw to live on.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's not just debts, but any line of credit.

So if you have credit cards with $30k limit total, even if they have zero balance that would be deducted from the theoretical maximum they would lend.
If you show the bank that you pay credit card balances off in full each month, they can, and normally do, ignore them.

If they do choose to use that figure, you then offer to close that card and use the one they give you with the mortgage for the future. They have no problems with that.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all

I'd obviously not get anything that we couldn't afford. I'm just using examples as I prefer threads/discussions where people use actual figures.

What about haggling the purchase prices of a property - does it work the same as the UK? Using previous examples, could we in theory knock a $400,000 down to $386,000?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, just double checking things!
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

What about haggling the purchase prices of a property - does it work the same as the UK? Using previous examples, could we in theory knock a $400,000 down to $386,000?
Yes. Auction is a popular method of sale in some states though, no idea about WA.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:20 am
ABCDiamond

Always negotiate a discount, it is expected.

Some of the data sites even show us the average discounts in some suburbs, for example in my area it is 6%.
So a $400k house on average would go for $376,000

The Perth region is currently the same as 6%, but Perth City is even higher, and Nedlands is 9%, so expect a $400k house to sell for $364,000.

Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:26 am
Last remaining Dec PR app

biibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Some of the data sites even show us the average discounts in some suburbs, for example in my area it is 6%.
Sounds interesting. Would you please give me a hint where I can find these sites?
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

The Perth region is currently the same as 6%, but Perth City is even higher, and Nedlands is 9%, so expect a $400k house to sell for $364,000.
haha try finding a house for sale in Nedlands for $400k that isn't a cardboard box
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by biibi13
Sounds interesting. Would you please give me a hint where I can find these sites?
The free info can be found from Australian Property Monitors data

Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
haha try finding a house for sale in Nedlands for $400k that isn't a cardboard box
There are 2 x 1 bed units (one with study).
Old Feb 26th 2011, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

People often confuse house price / salary with mortgage / salary. The average mortgage in oz is similar to UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.