Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mortgage on a 457 ?

Mortgage on a 457 ?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mortgage on a 457 ?

Is it possible to get a mortgage / home loan on a 457 visa ?

Any help appreciated
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage on a 457 ?

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
Is it possible to get a mortgage / home loan on a 457 visa ?

Any help appreciated
As someone just made redundant on a 457, I wouldn't if I was you
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible yes, some do it.

Still just checking you understand how your visa works, it is temporary, there is no automatic progression to PR. Your signature indicates you have sold up and you are "going for it" ... so why did you not go for a permanent visa...?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Yes but don't forget if it all goes pants up you have 30 days to leave, is it worth the stress?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bingobob777
As someone just made redundant on a 457, I wouldn't if I was you
seconded. I'd hate to be in a position where I had 30 days to offload a property. Super stress!!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

I understand that and my work offered a 457 which they will change to a pr after 1 year (April) but seen a house I like just now. Thanks guys
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that and my work offered a 457 which they will change to a pr after 1 year (April) but seen a house I like just now. Thanks guys
They won't be "changing to a pr after 1 year". You will still have to qualify for PR and you will still have to be at the same job. What happens if you find yourself out of work in that year?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
They won't be "changing to a pr after 1 year". You will still have to qualify for PR and you will still have to be at the same job. What happens if you find yourself out of work in that year?
We have done the checks and the year is up in 3 months, listen this is not a 457 to pr thread but mortgage on a 457, I know how visa's and employers work.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Have you investigated rates on a 457, would be interested to know if they are much higher?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Have you investigated rates on a 457, would be interested to know if they are much higher?
It's 7 years ago but our rates weren't any different but we were limited to how many banks would lend to us.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 5:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It's 7 years ago but our rates weren't any different but we were limited to how many banks would lend to us.
That was the same for us too - we last had a new 457 mortgage 3 years ago (well, we still have the mortgage but we're citizens now )

I remember people saying on here after that time that it was a lot more difficult to get a mortgage on a 457 though.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamy
That was the same for us too - we last had a new 457 mortgage 3 years ago (well, we still have the mortgage but we're citizens now )

I remember people saying on here after that time that it was a lot more difficult to get a mortgage on a 457 though.
Might just wait then but good to know we could possibly get 1
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Might just wait then but good to know we could possibly get 1
You can get a mortgage on a 457 visa. Different rules apply when banks decide to lend here given the time period and conditions of a 457 visa. The general rule is you would need a 20% deposit plus costs like stamp duty. There is an exception to this rule if you are a professional applicant (lawyer, accountant, engineer, IT, HR, Finance or someone earning more than say 80k per year) on a 457 visa and intend to apply for PR. In this instance we can get up to 90% LVR/LTV - that is, only a 10% deposit is required.

Effectively they have evaluated the risk of you losing your job and having to go home to be on the lower side and will therefore lend at an higher LVR.

A couple of points:
1) You will need FIRB approval - all foreigners require this approval from the government to buy Australian property. It is however only a formality providing you intend to live in the property. Note that if you do leave the country before you get PR then you are required to sell the property (unless it was a brand new dwelling): see www.firb.gov.au

2) You are not entitled to any first home owners grant and generally will not get any stamp duty benefits either (although it varies from state to state). If you are say 6 months away from getting permanent residency then it could be worthwhile waiting for this. I had a client the other day in Western Australia where if he waited 6 months for his PR, he would save about 14k in stamp duty and 7k for the first home owners grant. Definitely worth the wait unless he believed he was getting a bargain property now.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Craig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to allCraig Vaughan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
PS: Interest rates are no different - you are not charged higher rates or fees because of your visa. The only difference is policy - different banks have different policy dependent on visa, occupation, time remaining on visa, location of property and agreements with their lenders mortgage insurer (if required).
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Craig Vaughan
You can get a mortgage on a 457 visa. Different rules apply when banks decide to lend here given the time period and conditions of a 457 visa. The general rule is you would need a 20% deposit plus costs like stamp duty. There is an exception to this rule if you are a professional applicant (lawyer, accountant, engineer, IT, HR, Finance or someone earning more than say 80k per year) on a 457 visa and intend to apply for PR. In this instance we can get up to 90% LVR/LTV - that is, only a 10% deposit is required.

Effectively they have evaluated the risk of you losing your job and having to go home to be on the lower side and will therefore lend at an higher LVR.

A couple of points:
1) You will need FIRB approval - all foreigners require this approval from the government to buy Australian property. It is however only a formality providing you intend to live in the property. Note that if you do leave the country before you get PR then you are required to sell the property (unless it was a brand new dwelling): see www.firb.gov.au

2) You are not entitled to any first home owners grant and generally will not get any stamp duty benefits either (although it varies from state to state). If you are say 6 months away from getting permanent residency then it could be worthwhile waiting for this. I had a client the other day in Western Australia where if he waited 6 months for his PR, he would save about 14k in stamp duty and 7k for the first home owners grant. Definitely worth the wait unless he believed he was getting a bargain property now.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Craig thank you so much, that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Not what I wanted to hear but a factual statement about mortgages on a 457 ! I think I will wait as I do not want to waste the extra cash on stamp duty etc. thanks again for the post it has helped me a lot !