Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More tips for Aussies returning with Brit spouses

More tips for Aussies returning with Brit spouses

Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:14 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More tips for Aussies returning with Brit spouses

Don't do what we stupidly did and throw out all your British paperwork. Medicare will want all proof of cancelling ties with Britain before they will reissue you with a card if you have been away for more than 5 years.
We threw out stuff and had to find other proof. They will want proof of house sale in Britain, proof of resignation from jobs (P45 etc), cancellation of insurances, proof of having shipped things over etc.

Also most importantly insist you passport is stamped when you arrive. I had a rather amusing discussion with the medicare lady who told me there was no proof that I had arrived in the country as there was no stamp in my passport. I told her I must still be there then. They only will stamp your spouse's passport not your Aussie one but you need it! Interestingly enough I was told my husband (as a new immigrant) will have less trouble applying and only need bring him and his passport to get a Medicare card!

If you plan to rent have enough money aside to pay at least 3 months rent when you first arrive. It will get you a house without having to prove income etc. and give you a bit of leeway to get jobs you want.

I hope this is a help. I wish someone had told me these things before we came back. It is funny because after all the stress of getting the visa you forget that you are actually setting up a whole new life when you get here!

Fi
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More tips for Aussies returning with Brit spouses

Originally Posted by fimart
Don't do what we stupidly did and throw out all your British paperwork. )
One general 'tip' for Australians returning to the UK is to consider applying for British citizenship if they don't already have it (and are eligible).

If married to a British citizen, it's possible to apply for naturalisation and leave the country during processing.

If not married (legally married - de facto does not count) to a British citizen then it's necessary to plan to stay living on in the UK for a while, and only start thinking about a possible move to Australia once sworn in as a British citizen.

Taking British citizenship will make things a lot easier for any future return to the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

Since 4th April 2002, Australians naturalising in the UK no longer lose Australian citizenship.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk
http://www.southern-cross-group.org

Jeremy
Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't tell medicare you ever left the country.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I had enormous trouble getting a Medicare card again. My old one had long expired and I also had some kids to add to it, so had to tell them.

They wanted me to close my UK bank accounts which I refused to do. They said my hubbie's job contract did not look official enough. They said I could not prove I was not going to leave again. They said my passport wasn't stamped, so didn't know when I arrived (even though I had plane tickets, and boarding passes). They said my kids hadn't been vaccinnated to Aussie standards, whereas in fact they had had more than normal for SE Asia travel. They said my purchase of fridge, washing machine, bed etc, although in my name may be for someone else. The shipping invoice did not give enough detail of content. There were heaps of other P*SS weak excuses too, which fail to come to mind. Ever time I went in they asked for something different, and came up with a different excuse. In the end I closed my kids bank accounts which were in my name too and they issued a card to us.

I have heard of 2 other similar cases. One very much like mine but another got a card straight away; the Brit went in and did it.

Absolutley ridiculous.

So even keeping all the documents did not help me at all!

Queenie

Originally Posted by fimart
Don't do what we stupidly did and throw out all your British paperwork. Medicare will want all proof of cancelling ties with Britain before they will reissue you with a card if you have been away for more than 5 years.
We threw out stuff and had to find other proof. They will want proof of house sale in Britain, proof of resignation from jobs (P45 etc), cancellation of insurances, proof of having shipped things over etc.

Also most importantly insist you passport is stamped when you arrive. I had a rather amusing discussion with the medicare lady who told me there was no proof that I had arrived in the country as there was no stamp in my passport. I told her I must still be there then. They only will stamp your spouse's passport not your Aussie one but you need it! Interestingly enough I was told my husband (as a new immigrant) will have less trouble applying and only need bring him and his passport to get a Medicare card!

If you plan to rent have enough money aside to pay at least 3 months rent when you first arrive. It will get you a house without having to prove income etc. and give you a bit of leeway to get jobs you want.

I hope this is a help. I wish someone had told me these things before we came back. It is funny because after all the stress of getting the visa you forget that you are actually setting up a whole new life when you get here!

Fi
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by queenie
I had enormous trouble getting a Medicare card again. My old one had long expired and I also had some kids to add to it, so had to tell them.

They wanted me to close my UK bank accounts which I refused to do. They said my hubbie's job contract did not look official enough. They said I could not prove I was not going to leave again. They said my passport wasn't stamped, so didn't know when I arrived (even though I had plane tickets, and boarding passes). They said my kids hadn't been vaccinnated to Aussie standards, whereas in fact they had had more than normal for SE Asia travel. They said my purchase of fridge, washing machine, bed etc, although in my name may be for someone else. The shipping invoice did not give enough detail of content. There were heaps of other P*SS weak excuses too, which fail to come to mind. Ever time I went in they asked for something different, and came up with a different excuse. In the end I closed my kids bank accounts which were in my name too and they issued a card to us.

I have heard of 2 other similar cases. One very much like mine but another got a card straight away; the Brit went in and did it.

Absolutley ridiculous.

Queenie
All for committing the hideous crime of leaving the lucky country.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodness!! This thread just scared the heck out of me. I just checked my medicare card which I still have on me, and hopefully, luckily for me mine doesnt expire until 04/2005.

Hope I dont have any probs when I get home!!
Old Aug 29th 2004, 4:45 am
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by queenie

Absolutley ridiculous.

Queenie
They are unbelievable! I can imagine this all went on at a public counter with the whole world listening as well. I felt quite embarrassed listing all my accounts, the sale of the house, etc while the queue patiently listened! Funny they said the plane tickets were not enough, mine said if only I had kept those to prove my arrival! Seems you got a litle hitler serving you!
Fi
Old Aug 29th 2004, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

You know... going through the application process to get a spouse visa for hubby, and reading posts... I am SOOOO glad I'm a hoarder and never throw anything out as it is either going to be useful one day or just plain sentimental.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to do a post about this, cos I've had 'trouble' with this too.
Though, doesn't sound as bad as 'youse', maybe cos I never had one(I left when I was 14).

For me, it's enough to show:
- rental agreement(1 year, but apparently some individuals get let through with 6 months(Mairi), so I'm going to see if that'll work.
- some bills
- shipping papers

Of course, some people have more stuff, which is good.
I haven't got it yet, cos when I finally went down with all my proof, I'd forgotten my passport, duh! So, now tuesday....
(btw, it doesn't matter much, you can still go to doctor etc, and wait to claim when you finnnnally get the card)

Centrelink: centrelink wants all sorts of stuff, nothing that can't be got though, as far as I can remember.

Tax file number: :scared:
Well, most of you will have an Aussie birth certificate, so that's good.
I don't, I am a citizen by grant. It is mentioned on the back of my dad's citizenship certificate. Which is/was in Holland.
I thought my Aussie passport was enough, but oh no, they wanted that thing!!! So, dad had to send it to me.
Now, JAJ migh say, get your own from DIMIA! ;-) Yes, BUT!!!! they want your old one too, unless it's lost or stolen(which it isn't)
But I'm going to get my own one soon (but I can 'have' my dad's one for now, he doesn't need it at the mo...)
After all that(took 3 weeks before I could actually apply for it!), it will take about 4 weeks to get it!! (opposed to the one or so week for my Dutch spouse. Who could do it online(I couldn't).
Two weeks to go now, and I've started working already(last week)... (will I now get taxed heaps?? Someone said that!)

Btw, tax file people also wanted quite a lot of ID. I brought along my dutch Drivers license, but just when I went in I realised they only accepted Aussie ones. LUCKILY, they did accept both passports(see bank), so my dutch one was the other ID.

Bankaccount: you need all sorts of ID. They(well, hsbc) don't accept 2 passports, but yes to the stamp(which I thought I didn't have, but I do....)
Also, my dutch bankcard wasn't good, cos it didn't have my full name(only first initial + last name).
That led to only my spouse getting a card, and the other week I went shopping, and didn't have any cash, and he had the card!!!!!!
Have to get that sorted this week, cos I've finally got enough ID(see next point: )

Drivers license:
I realised quickly that I needed more ID, so I thought I better get my license fast!!!
These people want One form of primary ID and one secondary. Or 2 primary.
Primary:
Aussie passport
official 'Document of Identity'
Overseas passport
Birth certificate
Photographic Aussie license (that hasn't been expired more than 2 years)
Some other stuff.

Secondary:
Medicare card
Bank card or credit card
Passbook or account statement
Telephone, gas, electric bill.
lots of other stuff

And you have to prove residency.(rental agreement, or bill, or lots of other things)

Anyway, so I passed the test (that was the easiest part of all of this! :-D ), and they said that I'd get it in about 6 days!!(took about 2 weeks!!!!!)
Oh, and btw, be prepared for them to take the photo(digital) on the spot!)

Ok, can't think of anything else at the moment...

Any questions, please ask! (I'm even confused myself with all of this, so I can imagine you might be!!)

Oh, remember to take passport, driving license, marriage certificate etc etc etc EVERYWHERE you go in the first few weeks, you'll probably need it!
And yeah, don't go grocery shopping without money........................
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So, what you are all saying, is that someone like me can get Medicare "just like that", when you have all got jump through hoops - yet YOU are the Aussies, and I'm the immigrant! All I had to do was produce my passport and visa, I had my NHS card with me and they looked at that too. hey presto, I get a medicare card. No-one asked about bank accounts, or flight tickets, or jobs or whether I was planning to leave again.
Daft isn't it? You were BORN here, surely you're entitled to stuff more than I am?
Old Aug 29th 2004, 12:34 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So, what you are all saying, is that someone like me can get Medicare "just like that", when you have all got jump through hoops - yet YOU are the Aussies, and I'm the immigrant! All I had to do was produce my passport and visa, I had my NHS card with me and they looked at that too. hey presto, I get a medicare card. No-one asked about bank accounts, or flight tickets, or jobs or whether I was planning to leave again.
Daft isn't it? You were BORN here, surely you're entitled to stuff more than I am?
Yeah!

We're just as much entitled to it, but they do need to know if we're here to stay!(you have to be permanent).
And I guess the immigrants, they know they're permanent, or on a temporary visa (so, not the ones on a ETA).

I THINK it's just so they know we're not just back for a holiday.
Something like that...