Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More things to do . . . Selling your car?

More things to do . . . Selling your car?

Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default More things to do . . . Selling your car?

So how did people who have emigrated go about selling their cars? Would dealers give a crap price as we have no option but to sell? Did anyone sell privately? On ebay?

Any suggestions more than welcome!

Thanks,
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More things to do . . . Selling your car?

Originally posted by Mummy
So how did people who have emigrated go about selling their cars? Would dealers give a crap price as we have no option but to sell? Did anyone sell privately? On ebay?

Thanks,
We're getting my dad to sell it for us after we have gone - we have it to the last minute then and he can use the money to sort out any last minute expenses.

Muzzman
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:22 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
I used Autotrader and a dealer saw the advert. He tried to knock me down but when I refused and said I would leave it for my parents to sell, he gave me my asking price. I suppose it depends on your car really. Mine was a Fiat Coupe in perfect condition.

Jane
Old Mar 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
ABCDiamond

I left mine with a friend to sell it for me.

Much less hassle than trying to sell it, then hire something for the last days etc.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We've been incredibly lucky: after selling the house we put an ad in the local paper and had people fighting over the furniture (mind you, we were very realistic over the pricing!) The guy who bought the bed is allowing us to sleep on it until closing, too.

We sold the car without advertising, to the son of a lady who bought some of the furniture. He is allowing us to use it until a day or two before closing!

And all this luck for a guy who regularly disproves the 90% air theory in golf!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:45 am
owieb

I sold both of my cars at a huge loss to a dealer. I tried selling them privately but couldn't shift them. One was a Golf GTI the other a Porsche Boxter.

I actually lost more money on the Golf than the Porsche!

But the dealer collected the car on the day I left the UK so at least I didn't have to hire a car during that period.

I did think about leaving them for my parents to sell on my behalf, but I didn't want to lumber them with the trouble, plus I wanted to clear all the finance etc on them before leaving.

Bit of a bummer really. Try not to mention to people that you are emigrating as they will defo try to knock you down on price as they will think you are desperate!

Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

try www.autotrader.co.uk to get a price for your car in your area.

www.parkers.co.uk will also give you a price. Private sales should get you more money than selling to a dealer.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:02 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

we had year old ford focus and sold privately but still lost a huge amount would have got even less from a dealer though
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:27 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mummy

See your from my neck of the woods.

You could put it in the local rags - Derby Evening Telegraph and Nottingham Evening Post.
I plan to also put mine in Ad Mag its free to advertise and has a large cars for sale section.

If that fails i'll leave mine with the folks and hope they can sell it on.

cheers

TT (and YOU REDS!!!!)

Thanks,