Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More supermarket prices

Wikiposts

More supermarket prices

Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:47 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Larissa, the next sale is usually the last Saturday in July. The December sale is 27th. But hopefully, I won't be around for that one!!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:54 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

pumpkins 89c a kg!!!!!!!
wow!!! they are about £2 a kg here.....scrawny little buggers they are too!!!!!

ah....I first met and fell in love with pumpkin in australia.....never managed to relive that devine taste of pumpkin soup here in the uk!!!

ho hum....

sue
Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anya4oz
What's Leo's actually like, then?
Well it's better than the Safeway next door for starters!
Leo's has a great selection of deli foods as well as all your usual basket items.

The cheese counter is fantastic - the guy on the cheese counter is also the buyer. I've never met anyone who know so much about cheese!!! (this compared to the girl on the Sainsbury cheese counter - when I was pregnant, I asked if the feta was pasteurised - she asked me what pasteurised meant......!!)

Also, olives, olives olives....lots of varieties, stuffed, marinated, etc etc

Great selection of fresh pasta sauces and pestos.

And gourmet selections of jam, chutney, honey, etc etc; fancy pastas.

I could never let the hubby shop on his own as he'd spend a fortune and come back with things I deemed rather useless (like a bottle of vanilla syrup.....he himself didn't even know what he would use it for, it just looked nice!)
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:08 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
things I deemed rather useless (like a bottle of vanilla syrup.....he himself didn't even know what he would use it for, it just looked nice!)
We have a not-so-small plastic flagon of genuine (it claims) maple syrup that we bought in Maine a few years ago. It's unopened so I reckon it's coming to Oz where it can gather even more dust!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vicky o
Also, I shop in Pumpkin Patch in UK, but they are an NZ/Oz based company. They do fantastic kiddies clothes, especially younger ones and they are very reasonable, similar to Next and a very good quality. They do have an Oz website for you to look at.
Vicky, have to agree, Pumpkin Patch has the cutest selection of kiddies clothes that I have ever seen. (Also a nice selection of maternity wear)
Before we left Melbourne we bought some baby clothes, convinced we were having a boy....well we had a little girl so now have lots of clothes that she can't wear! (Have to keep em for next time!) The price tickets are dual UK/Oz tickets and altho they are a NZ company, the prices work out cheaper in the UK. I just had a look at a couple of items - tshirt is priced as 6 pounds or $19 AUD; jacket is 9 pounds or $25 AUD.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:36 pm
Class 2 Guru

Before we left Melbourne we bought some baby clothes, convinced we were having a boy....well we had a little girl so now have lots of clothes that she can't wear!
Tsk! What sort of clothes are there that a little girl can't wear? (Although I can imagine the opposite problem... not many little boys running round in pink skirts!)
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:45 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Tsk! What sort of clothes are there that a little girl can't wear? (Although I can imagine the opposite problem... not many little boys running round in pink skirts!)

From experience, little girls aren't usually happy with blue dungarees with pictures of trains and cars on them!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:35 pm
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by vicky o
From experience, little girls aren't usually happy with blue dungarees with pictures of trains and cars on them!!
Well they should be encouraged to be! (Just a brief hijack rant here... society is run by men for men and the rot starts when we're very young: we are taught gender-specific aspirations as early as possible, something I think we should try to avoid. Ok, rant over, back to prices now please!)
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:54 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
An example or two here:

Auscreen Sunscreen New Gen Spf30+ 500ml $10.99

Homebrand Sunscreen Lotion Spf30+ 1l $12.51

Triplegard Uv Sunscreen Spf30+ 250ml $17.16

Those look like good prices.

As an additional question- can you get combined insect repellent/sunscreen cream in Oz? I've been able to buy this in the UK (Boots) and SFO (Safeway) and it works well - however, maybe in Oz you need a more industrial-strength product to deal with the local insect life!

Anya.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:01 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Well it's better than the Safeway next door for starters!
Leo's has a great selection of deli foods as well as all your usual basket items.

The cheese counter is fantastic - the guy on the cheese counter is also the buyer. I've never met anyone who know so much about cheese!!! (this compared to the girl on the Sainsbury cheese counter - when I was pregnant, I asked if the feta was pasteurised - she asked me what pasteurised meant......!!)

Also, olives, olives olives....lots of varieties, stuffed, marinated, etc etc

Great selection of fresh pasta sauces and pestos.

And gourmet selections of jam, chutney, honey, etc etc; fancy pastas.

I could never let the hubby shop on his own as he'd spend a fortune and come back with things I deemed rather useless (like a bottle of vanilla syrup.....he himself didn't even know what he would use it for, it just looked nice!)
Wow - Leo's sounds terrific. I do fear that it will become my Aussie equivalent of 'Waitrose', though......

Anya.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding sunscreens - Larissa, we buy the non-brand name stuff (the one we use is called Persona I think) by the 1L pump pack (we have about 4 of them, 1 in the boat, 1 in the car, 2 at home), its excellent, does exactly the same job, just doesnt smell as fancy as the brand names. The sunshirts you can buy almost anywhere, all the chain stores like Kmart, Best & Less, Big W have them, I usually try to buy at end of season for next year (or 2 or 3, the ones the little Dagboys have now have lasted them 2 summers so far). I cant remember exact price, but I think I paid around $10 each for them (but greatly reduced, you would pay more at full price).

Anya, yes, you can buy the combined repellent/sunscreen, only problem with it is that it has to be applied alot more often. Cant remeber if its because of the repellent or sunscreen component.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I remember last time I was in Australia that even the kids on beaches were covered in sunsuits from head to toe but that most of the parents were sunbathing regardless.
Felt sorry for the kids but it is obviously sensible.

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by anya4oz
As an additional question- can you get combined insect repellent/sunscreen cream in Oz? I've been able to buy this in the UK (Boots) and SFO (Safeway) and it works well - however, maybe in Oz you need a more industrial-strength product to deal with the local insect life!

Anya.
We don't seem to notice many biting insects during the day, when the sunscreen is needed. They mainly seem to come out at dusk.

Not sure about other area's.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:25 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by madsad
Cheers mate, not bad prices at all.

What about decent beers & lagers? i am a miller or tiger beer drinker!! got them out there?
You can buy Tiger (and anchor the Singapore beers) in a lot of the larger bottle shops. You can also get Singa beer if you look ( Thai beer) ( I know for a fact they sold it in deadcliffe - the kippa ring bottle shop outside the shopping centre) , I've never seen it in the pubs though. Can't remember the exact price.. but it tends to be alot more expensive than the other beers.
Stella is sold in most bottle shops in the fridge sections, and I recently went to one pub where it was on tap.. a new promotion... had a pint - yuck. .. it tastes terrible to me now ( I used to drink Stella many years ago back in the UK) .. it tastes terrible to me now, my taste buds must have changed over the years.

The only thing I miss "drink wise" is a decent pint of Ale and bitter.

I prefer VB to a lot of these Brit largers.. and thank christ for Kilkenny .. ( but that tends to be dear here.. around $60 to $70 for a slab.. depending on "specials") Kilkenny is also on tap in a lot of pubs ( but that is brewed here in Aus, unlike the cans which are imported - there is a a diff in taste, well I can taste the difference anyway).

shopping list:
Nescafe coffee (300g) - $9.98
Reflex paper A4 - $5.83
Kettle crisps (200g) - $3.33 ( and very nice they are too)
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:09 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

UK foods in Dallas

Prices in US$ obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.