Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More supermarket prices

Wikiposts

More supermarket prices

Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More supermarket prices

.......and what about pig ?

Would be lost without that one.......ham, bacon, gammon, hogs pudding, sausages etc

Oooooh yes, I like pig

No disdainful comments required
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Bix
.......and what about pig ?

Would be lost without that one.......ham, bacon, gammon, hogs pudding, sausages etc

Oooooh yes, I like pig

No disdainful comments required
Premium Leg Ham - $12.97 Kg
Pork Scotch Fillet Roast - $9.98 Kg
Sausages - I bought some for $1.99 a Kg recently

Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Bix
Could someone please tell me the price of lettuce ?
Friday Iceburg lettuce $1.25 in Wollies and about same in Coles. Cheapest I've ever seen them out here.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

chrissb is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation ex u.k. retailer to cheap n.z. not!

listen we in N.Z. have found that food is on the whole dearer yet when it come clothes theres the warehouse and the longer summer of course but, toiletries what a rip off!! mr. johnson and mr. lver brothers and mr. procter & gamle should be sent to jail !! and cars well they are cheap but they are also very old too! however i still like it here so far and the kids love it as we do i just mis the ble bells and the cornish beaches but the rest will just fade away cos when you friends are here they just love it too. we need a good food chain from europe to sort out the rip off merchants and we we will be away. the people are very freindly and the place is tecnically full of migrants and you have to remind yourselves that you are the lucky one too. we just dont feel like it some times that all and then there the bargain thing too. IF IT AINT ON OFFER (SPECIAL) DONT BUY WHEN IT IS BUY HEAPS!!:scared:
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:33 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Your shopping list is very interesting ABC.

We just did a comparison on several items you list and they are all cheaper or same price as we pay in UK. Good news for us.

Most of our shopping is in the big stores Asda / Tesco so makes me wonder why people are finding prices higher over there.

Perhaps we pay more in Cornwall compared to a lot of the UK.

On the other hand is it just that they perceive the prices to be higher when in fact it is their wages that are lower.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:51 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
We just did a comparison on several items you list and they are all cheaper or same price as we pay in UK. Good news for us.

Most of our shopping is in the big stores Asda / Tesco so makes me wonder why people are finding prices higher over there.

Perhaps we pay more in Cornwall compared to a lot of the UK.

On the other hand is it just that they perceive the prices to be higher when in fact it is their wages that are lower.
On our validation trip to Melbourne we were comparing the price of everything in sight (inevitably, I know) and the stuff in supermarkets was indeed AFAIR mostly a bit more expensive (at the then exchange rate of around 2.45-ish). And that of course was without taking into account the lower salaries.

Not sure we kept any detailed receipts so can't compare Melbourne and Brissy directly.

chrissb reckons a good European foodchain would do wonders for the NZ prices; I reckon it would benefit Oz too, maybe on prices and maybe on variety. Tesco used to be pathetic in the UK but is now a (perhaps the) major player, so someone there has their head screwed on straight.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:27 pm
ABCDiamond

ALDI are opening up all over the place here now, and they are bringing prices down wherever they open up. We will be getting one at the end of this year aswell.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:32 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
ALDI are opening up all over the place here now, and they are bringing prices down wherever they open up. We will be getting one at the end of this year aswell.
They sooooo need to come to Perth!!! Better not take them to long!!! Grrrrr!

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Simone
They sooooo need to come to Perth!!! Better not take them to long!!! Grrrrr!

They have stores in QLD, VIC, ACT & NSW so far.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:39 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants any specific example prices, then ask away, and I will do my best to help, if possible. Others here may also do the same. ? (if they have the info to hand.)

Panadol tablets $1.99 - 24 pack
Face Tissues Sorbent brand $ 1.99 - 200 pack
Sunsilk shampoo $ 2.99 - 200ml
Cadbury Chocolate Block $2.97 - 240g
Tinned peach slices $ 2.39 - 825g
Ever Ready Batteries AA Red Heavy Duty $ 8.99 - pack 20
Basmati Rice $2.29 kg
Lamb Cutlets $ 19.98 kg !! (seems expensive to me)
Macleans Toothpaste $ 2.49 - 150g
Kleenex Cottonelle Toilet rolls $ 3.89 - 6 pack
Coca Cola Cans $ 17.00 - 36 cans
Cooked Lobsters $ 12.98 each
Green prawns $ 16.98 kg
Tasmanina Salmo fresh $28.97 kg
Perch Fillets $ 7.98 kg
Chicken Breast Fillets Skin off $ 10.98 kg

HOW MUCH IS SMIRNOFF!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:54 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

They have stores in QLD, VIC, ACT & NSW so far.
Yeah, you'd think it won't take them long.
First SA I guess.... Though, Perth is a bigger market.

Unfortunetly you can't find what there plans are anywhere, or email them etc etc.(not that it's that important, but still, huge savings can be made!)

This may be interesting:
http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulle...7?OpenDocument
Don't know how old it is though, we had a Foodland in WA more than 8 years ago already.

Hey, this is cool! Simple saving tips for groceries! Just my thing!
http://www.simplesavings.com.au/vaul...6a85a0dea97#12
Ok, a bit of a wierd long list, and don't know how old it is, but it does have some good points at least.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:21 am
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

got a six pack of VB back in stockport for £3.00 .first time i have ever seen the stuff since we were in oz 3 years ago,very nice but not a patch on stella. do they sell stella in oz ?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:23 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

They do indeed sell Stella in Australia. I bought some once. Fairly average suds, IMHO.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Simone
This may be interesting:
http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulle...7?OpenDocument
Don't know how old it is though, we had a Foodland in WA more than 8 years ago already.
"Last year Foodland purchased 40 Franklins stores in Queensland and northern NSW, and has embarked on a five-year campaign to remake those stores in the image of Foodland's highly successful West Australian supermarket chain, Action.

Action have some stores in the area, and are physically about the same size as Woolworths/Coles, but obviously not as many of them.

Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

How about factor 25 plus suncream?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.