Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More Q's About Resigning

More Q's About Resigning

Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:15 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Question More Q's About Resigning

Glittababe's post about resignation letters has got me thinking again....

My OH has to give 3 months notice which makes things a little more problematic. We've got to shuffle selling the house to pay the bond and deciding when to resign so we're not here too long after the visa's granted because :

a) if we get it, it'll be SIR and so we need to get out there to get our 2 yrs under our belts asap
and
b)we don't want to be stuck here homeless while OH work his notice period.

Of course, all this assumes we sell the house for the right price at the right time - if the offers come in too low we may have to end the whole thing as we need to pay the bond and need EVERY penny we can get.

God, I should have a degree in talking nonsense!!

anyway, what I'm trying to say is, have any of you had a similar dilemma? How did you deal with it?

cheers
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Q's About Resigning

Originally Posted by herrchook
Glittababe's post about resignation letters has got me thinking again....

My OH has to give 3 months notice which makes things a little more problematic. We've got to shuffle selling the house to pay the bond and deciding when to resign so we're not here too long after the visa's granted because :

a) if we get it, it'll be SIR and so we need to get out there to get our 2 yrs under our belts asap
and
b)we don't want to be stuck here homeless while OH work his notice period.

Of course, all this assumes we sell the house for the right price at the right time - if the offers come in too low we may have to end the whole thing as we need to pay the bond and need EVERY penny we can get.

God, I should have a degree in talking nonsense!!

anyway, what I'm trying to say is, have any of you had a similar dilemma? How did you deal with it?

cheers
this is our problem, house is sold but Mark has to work till march, plus he has a court case on 23rd march so we have to hang about, but we hav no home! trying to get it all sorted out!

has he got any annual leave due?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:39 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
this is our problem, house is sold but Mark has to work till march, plus he has a court case on 23rd march so we have to hang about, but we hav no home! trying to get it all sorted out!

has he got any annual leave due?
It's a nightmare isn't it? Where are you living? We were thinking if it's just for a week or so then we could stay with family, but any longer and we really don't want to impose.

Hopefully, OH will have some leave but at best that will take 3-4 weeks from it. That is of course assuming he has no holidays all year and still has a tiny shred of his sanity intact

Good luck getting that letter written. You're in a good place with a job you love and I firmly believe that we shouldn't burn bridges when we leave.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

mercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the rough

He's got talk to his employers and make a deal. Employers can and do sue (I've done it!) if people break their contracted notice periods. But they'll probably take 6 weeks or two months notice rather than nothing. If he's got a good relationship with them and is honest about his circumstances and plans he should be able to reach a mutually satisfactory agreement. His negotiating position is probably quite strong depending on how litigous they are.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nightmare isn't it? Where are you living? We were thinking if it's just for a week or so then we could stay with family, but any longer and we really don't want to impose.

Hopefully, OH will have some leave but at best that will take 3-4 weeks from it. That is of course assuming he has no holidays all year and still has a tiny shred of his sanity intact

Good luck getting that letter written. You're in a good place with a job you love and I firmly believe that we shouldn't burn bridges when we leave.
still at the house at the mo, completion date is set for the end of the month (altho buyers want to be in sooner). we've looked at holiday cottages (£250 + p/w) or caravans on holiday parks (£100 p/w). Only problem is the caravan park is 30 mins away and I have to get the kids to school everyday, plus try and carry on working (hence handing in resignation). Could do with the money really, but I should be able to do some bank/locum work when I get time.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:49 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by mercador
He's got talk to his employers and make a deal. Employers can and do sue (I've done it!) if people break their contracted notice periods. But they'll probably take 6 weeks or two months notice rather than nothing. If he's got a good relationship with them and is honest about his circumstances and plans he should be able to reach a mutually satisfactory agreement. His negotiating position is probably quite strong depending on how litigous they are.
Thanks for that. We're a bit worried about telling them all this too soon in case they use it against him in some way and then if the visa doesn't get granted then we're up the proverbial creek!

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:54 pm
Sunny Sydney

Originally Posted by glittababe
still at the house at the mo, completion date is set for the end of the month (altho buyers want to be in sooner). we've looked at holiday cottages (£250 + p/w) or caravans on holiday parks (£100 p/w). Only problem is the caravan park is 30 mins away and I have to get the kids to school everyday, plus try and carry on working (hence handing in resignation). Could do with the money really, but I should be able to do some bank/locum work when I get time.
Long shot I know but have you got any neighbours going on long holidays - maybe you could house sit?

We're fortunate that our kids aren't in school so thankfully we don't have that added problem.

How about parking a caravan in your neighbour's driveway ?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Long shot I know but have you got any neighbours going on long holidays - maybe you could house sit?

We're fortunate that our kids aren't in school so thankfully we don't have that added problem.

How about parking a caravan in your neighbour's driveway ?
tempted! I think UB40 said he'd got a 6 berth van we could kip in! We're like pikeys