Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

More house quandries...

More house quandries...

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default More house quandries...

OK everybody...

My house is on for £119,950 and I've just had an offer for £114k. Given the state of the market etc etc, do you think I should accept this? It's going to leave me a little short when I get to the other side, but I'm very tempted.

So many of you here seem to be trying to sell right now, I would really appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

S
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:05 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future
Default Re: More house quandries...

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
OK everybody...

My house is on for £119,950 and I've just had an offer for £114k. Given the state of the market etc etc, do you think I should accept this? It's going to leave me a little short when I get to the other side, but I'm very tempted.

So many of you here seem to be trying to sell right now, I would really appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

S
I would say it depends on the position of the buyer. If they can proceed, have nothing to sell or sold theirs and have no chain, I would be tempted to accept it. Or you could Speak to your Estate Agent and see if he can squeeze maybe another £2K out of them, it maybe worth trying and its not a huge amount more than they've offered, but will be nearer your original price.

Decisions, decisions!! Good luck.

Jo
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 10:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

The final decision is down to you but I think if we had our visas and were just waiting to sell up then I'd take it. After all, you could be on the market for months and it would cost you more in mortgage payments etc...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask for another £2K but if they say "no" accept their original offer. The market isn't that strong anymore and life is too short.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:09 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
I would ask for another £2K but if they say "no" accept their original offer. The market isn't that strong anymore and life is too short.

I AGREE TRY AND UP THE OFFER - IF NOT ACCEPT IT? HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN ON THE MARKET FOR? SORRY THAT MAYBE IN YOUR POST, I WILL CHECK............
AMANDA
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Joanne
I would say it depends on the position of the buyer. If they can proceed, have nothing to sell or sold theirs and have no chain, I would be tempted to accept it. Or you could Speak to your Estate Agent and see if he can squeeze maybe another £2K out of them, it maybe worth trying and its not a huge amount more than they've offered, but will be nearer your original price.

Decisions, decisions!! Good luck.

Jo
I agree with Jo it depends on their position etc a cash buyer with no chain would be brill.

Good luck
Katie
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

I agree with the others. Try and get your agent to counter offer - he will probably already have a good idea from talking to the buyer as to whether this is a first offer or it really is their upper limit.

If you end up accepting their first offer, I suggest telling them you are willing to accept on the condition that they exchange within 6 weeks. This probably won't happen but it does put pressure on the buyer to keep things moving their end.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:26 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid_s
I agree with the others. Try and get your agent to counter offer - he will probably already have a good idea from talking to the buyer as to whether this is a first offer or it really is their upper limit.

If you end up accepting their first offer, I suggest telling them you are willing to accept on the condition that they exchange within 6 weeks. This probably won't happen but it does put pressure on the buyer to keep things moving their end.
Yeah, just got off the phone with the agent. They say that the offer is a pretty genuine buyer and that this is the very top end of thier budget - apparently they've really had to scrimp and save to make this up. Also, they're a first time buyer, so no chain, and the mortgage is ready to go - just awaiting the nod to instruct a solicitor.

I may well accept and then hype a 6 week turn around, which would suit me fine as that's pretty much the end of the school year. It's starting to look like I'd be a fool to pass this up... Going to talk to the chief agent tommorrow morning...

S
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 6:26 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yeah, just got off the phone with the agent. They say that the offer is a pretty genuine buyer and that this is the very top end of thier budget - apparently they've really had to scrimp and save to make this up. Also, they're a first time buyer, so no chain, and the mortgage is ready to go - just awaiting the nod to instruct a solicitor.

I may well accept and then hype a 6 week turn around, which would suit me fine as that's pretty much the end of the school year. It's starting to look like I'd be a fool to pass this up... Going to talk to the chief agent tommorrow morning...

S
sounds good to me i would take it