Reload this Page >

more on the dog thing

more on the dog thing

Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default more on the dog thing

do dogs have to be registered with the council?
and how often do they bitten by nasty things?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:29 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: more on the dog thing

Yes, you will have to register with your local council and pay some rip off fee each year of about $50 or thereabouts depending.

You will have to monitor them for paralysis ticks which can kill a dog. Use a tick collar but any signs of labored breathing, lethargy etc should be watched. It sounds terrible but its easy to take precautions and watch out for.

Cane toads will lead to a frothy mouth and illness to a dog which licks them.

A word of advice - when you arrive go to your local vet with your dog to get a check up and sort out vaccination dates etc. The vet will know the area and can tell you what to watch out for locally.

Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Register fees vary from State to State I believe, possibly even arear to area. Here in NSW, or at least in my bit of NSW, it was a one off "animal companions" fee. I can't remember exactly the cost, I know it varied on if the animal had been neutered or not.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

For our council it is $123.60
Centurion made some good points, also can I add that in Australia you will need to get your dog tested for Heartworm and then medicate regularly.

Another quick point to remember is that most councils have a limit to how many pets you can have, the usual limit across the states and councils seems to be 2 dogs and 2 cats, but rememebr to check with the council where you will be moving to.
Kate
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Our council charges about $80 dollars for an ‘intact’ dog and around $25 for a desexed dog. The council wanted to see certification of our dog's desexing - did not have one. Had to take her to the vets who promptly looked in her ear to look for a tattoo to confirm desexing – she doesn’t have one. In the end I managed to firk out the original bills for the op and the vet accepted this and provided us with verification that she was no longer intact. The most surprising thing about it all was that I still had the original bill! A bit of a pain but eh it saves us enough money to keep her in shmackos for a while
Mx
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:45 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

I have just paid $18 for 3 years for my dog, speyed female. Joondalup council in Perth, hth.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ub40fan
I have just paid $18 for 3 years for my dog, speyed female. Joondalup council in Perth, hth.
Yeah,me too.Got a lovely little red tag thingy to put on his collar. When we first came to Australia I e-mailed my vet who sent me a letter confirming that he'd had the snip!