Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monthly Outgoings for 2 adults and a 3yr old

Monthly Outgoings for 2 adults and a 3yr old

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

stottster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monthly Outgoings for 2 adults and a 3yr old

Hi am new to the forum and wish to say a big hello, this site has been very informative thus far.

We are currently awaiting decision on permanent visa. We have done medicals and all requirements are met thus far so just awaiting DIAC decision.
I am therefore taking the time to research further......this is where I need some help please.

I am a Nurse in an Emergency Dept, wife an occupational health nurse and we are planning to move to Melbourne. We are just trying to ensure we have a cushion of funds to see us through and work out a realistic deadline should we be granted the visa.

Could anyone give us ideas of approx monthly outgoings at the moment in the Melbourne area.

the list I have so far is:

Healthcare
Rental Bond/Monthly Rent
Groceries
Electric
Gas
water
Car/fuel
Nursery costs
Refuse

I am struggling to find any others but am sure there must be.....
Any rough idea of average costs would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly Outgoings for 2 adults and a 3yr old

Insurances (car, house, contents, health)
Parking/public transport
Entertainment
Clothes
Broadband/ISP/Phones (and Foxtel seems to be indispensable for most BE folk)
Dentist
Road service
Registration (yours to practice)

Just to add a few more to your list.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Quoll: many Thanks mate
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Monthly Outgoings for 2 adults and a 3yr old

Originally Posted by stottster
Hi am new to the forum and wish to say a big hello, this site has been very informative thus far.

We are currently awaiting decision on permanent visa. We have done medicals and all requirements are met thus far so just awaiting DIAC decision.
I am therefore taking the time to research further......this is where I need some help please.

I am a Nurse in an Emergency Dept, wife an occupational health nurse and we are planning to move to Melbourne. We are just trying to ensure we have a cushion of funds to see us through and work out a realistic deadline should we be granted the visa.

Could anyone give us ideas of approx monthly outgoings at the moment in the Melbourne area.

the list I have so far is:

Healthcare
Rental Bond/Monthly Rent
Groceries
Electric
Gas
water
Car/fuel
Nursery costs
Refuse

I am struggling to find any others but am sure there must be.....
Any rough idea of average costs would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Hi and welcome, some of this depends on what suburb you intend to live in. Weekly rent for a 3 bed family house would be between $300 - $500 in most areas. Bond would be 4 weeks rent. Water is about $250/qr, gas and electric about $200/$400 per qr. Fuel is currently about 145c/l and you will probably drive more ks here than you do in the UK. Health insurance depends on your age. For a family $100 - $300 per month depending on how much you choose to insure.

I have a friend who is an emergency nurse at Sandringham Hospital who I could probably ask specific questions of if you needed to know anything about this.

HTH

BB
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi and welcome, some of this depends on what suburb you intend to live in. Weekly rent for a 3 bed family house would be between $300 - $500 in most areas. Bond would be 4 weeks rent. Water is about $250/qr, gas and electric about $200/$400 per qr. Fuel is currently about 145c/l and you will probably drive more ks here than you do in the UK. Health insurance depends on your age. For a family $100 - $300 per month depending on how much you choose to insure.

BB
And to add to this from my experience:

Foxtel: $100 ish (Sports HD)
Broadband\Phone: 70\month (naked DSL) - you can go cheaper, I choose not to.
Nursery (2.5 year old) - 105 per day for us (depends where you get them in) but there is a rebate of 50% fees up to 7,500 per year, per child. There is a means tested Child Care Benefit that we don't qualify for.
Council tax thing (if you buy, not sure for renters): depends on house our 3 bed is about 1300 a year
Insurance (2 cars - about 700 per car\year), house building\contents about 50\month from memory
Groceries : buyers choice, we shop in mix of individuals and supermarkets and spend about probably 150-180 per week (family of 3)
Entertainment: We have a 2.5 year old, so we don't really go out. All up less than 200 a month probably (which includes petting farm, swimming etc for little 'un)
Gym membership: we don't have but can cost anywhere from 60 - 100 a month.
Water: ours is about 200 per billing period (think a quarter)
Gas: Ours is cheap (hot water\cooker), about 50 a billing period (2 months)
Elec: About 160 \quarter

We live in Bayside Melbourne, I drive fewer K's than UK (about 100 a week rather than 800k a week) but that's just me.

HTH
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the swift replies
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:12 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Wow, thats cheap we are also a family of 3 in Brisbane

Home phone, 3G internet and 2 mobiles $210 per mth
Groceries +$350 . . we are never under $300
Gas $180 qtr
Elec $+300 qtr
We hardly use aircon and don't eat extravagently

Other figures are much the same.

Originally Posted by bumble69
And to add to this from my experience:

Broadband\Phone: 70\month (naked DSL) - you can go cheaper, I choose not to.
Groceries : buyers choice, we shop in mix of individuals and supermarkets and spend about probably 150-180 per week (family of 3)
Gas: Ours is cheap (hot water\cooker), about 50 a billing period (2 months)
Elec: About 160 \quarter

HTH
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:43 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972

Gas $180 qtr
Elec $+300 qtr

Bloody hell mate you must eat well if your spending over $300 a week on groceries !!!

We too live in beautiful Brisbane and spend nowhere near that. I would say we eat a lot better here than we did in the uk....plenty of fruit and veggies, salads, chicken, steak, lamb etc etc.

Even with a carton of beer we are nowhere near $300.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972

Gas $180 qtr
Elec $+300 qtr

I omitted mobile phone: 60 a month (for 2)

It might be 200 a week including some beer but no more for groceries - but then i work full time, my wife works 4 days and the ankle-biter is in childcare 4 days which probably affects the bill.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:36 pm
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

lol, yea we eat ok. Much more expensive than in the UK, so we should watch what we buy more so . . but we don't really, lol.

I should have added to the scope of my $350 . .a carton of beer and eating out once a week . . at least

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Bloody hell mate you must eat well if your spending over $300 a week on groceries !!!
Even with a carton of beer we are nowhere near $300.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Appreciate all the info given its good to see the differences so I can worse case scenario plan. many thanks
Stottster