Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A month in Perth

A month in Perth

Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default A month in Perth

Hi

Been here four weeks now and here's our account so far...

Firstly haven't had too much time to look at expats, let alone the tv or go much at all on computer here as been busy and spending evenings chatting with friends, drinking casks of white wine

We have now taken a 6 month lease on ex showhome while we decide where to buy or build so been doing lots of shopping for that and container turns up next Monday so can fill you all in on any sagas we encounter on that side.

We were invited along last night to our friends (ones we were staying with) Australian Citizenship ceremony, they and 50 odd other people did the swearing of the oath and received paperwork to say they were officially Aussies, after living here for 2 years. We met some lovely people again, this is something I have especially noticed, how friendly and helpful most people are. They take the time to chat rather than grunt at you!

Graham has only just started to look for work and has a 2nd interview this week so here's hoping. I have been offered full tiime employment but will hold on that as it is my intention to work part time and maybe start up my own business eventually but in meantime, spend quality time with Oliver and make some new friends.

Official stuff has been ok, medicare you need to wait 10 days after arrival then go into offices with passport and sign up.
Tax file number - did mine online, Graham already had his

Oliver has been going to a day care centre once a week for last two weeks as he is used to mixing socially and we wanted to retain some stability for him and make new friends. Hoping to meet with some new friends for him over next few weeks, although there is plenty to do for children here, we have joined the book and toy library, free of charge, whilst waiting for container. Been to indoor and outdoor playparks, been to wildlife centres, riding bikes, playing soccer (have to get used to that one!) etc etc

Bought a Toyota Rav 4, got great deal as was last day of tax year so we are mobile, will buy another when Graham gets his job.......he's got a bike though, bargain from a garage sale which seem to be very popular here.

Not been homesick yet but have had 2 deaths (close friend of Graham and Sisters father in law) since we left which only helped to confirm that lifes too short to not give things a go, although felt bad for being away from people that needed comforting at that time

Graham has asked me tonight how I really feel and told him that I am really happy and very settled too, he says he feels the same. Have to add we have been very lucky to have such good friends to help us settle and has made a vast difference knowing people here. Haven't had time to miss anyone too much yet but I know that will hit home in a few months I'm sure..........

Thats about it for now of my rabbiting on, will update again soon

Teresa
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post Teresa.

It's always great to hear how people are getting on....especially as it's not long now 'til we make the move in November! Am I getting nervous? You bet!!!

Glad you are making lots of friends and not having much time to miss the UK too much...I hope it's the same for us when we arrive
Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Teresa

Glas things are going well for you guys. Keep us posted when the furniture arrives.

footie xx
Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Wolves2stayup! will become famous soon enough

Hi Teresa
Like the others glad to hear that you are settling in well. Where are you in Perth? How old is Oliver? Look forward to hearing more as and when it happens!

Sam
Old Jul 20th 2004, 8:37 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Re: A month in Perth

Hi Teresa,

Great to hear such a fab post! You really are settling in quickly. We're jetting off to Perth in 6 weeks time. Can't wait!

Sunchaser