Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Montessori Education - opinions please

Montessori Education - opinions please

Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Montessori Education - opinions please

Looking at The Hills Montessori School in Aldgate. I know very little about the Montessori philosophy and was looking for opinions. Particularly, the school finishes at Yr7. How easy will the transition be to a more traditional secondary school?

Thanks in advance!

Adi
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montessori Education - opinions please

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Looking at The Hills Montessori School in Aldgate. I know very little about the Montessori philosophy and was looking for opinions. Particularly, the school finishes at Yr7. How easy will the transition be to a more traditional secondary school?

Thanks in advance!

Adi

Hi there, my daughter goes to a Montessori school here in Adelaide. However she is in the mainstream classes as she started at the school mid way through year 2.

While I was researching the school I came across a few sites about the Montessori way of learning and I was pretty impressed with what I read about it - if my daughter had been younger I would have placed her in there with no problems at all.

Here's a good site to learn more about it, and also somewhere you can ask questions to other people who place their kids in these schools. http://www.montessori.org/index.html
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi,

As a teacher in a regular state school I had a boy join my class from Perth Montessori this year. He couldn't write his own name, and he was at an age where he should have been able to write in sentences. He REALLY struggled, and his parents attributed it to everything being so child-initiated, that he never chose to complete the literacy learning related activities. They were very unhappy with the education there, and although they said there were few discipline/behaviour problems the children were allowed to flit between activities and they felt there wasn't an emphasis on reading/writing.

Saying that his sister was better than fine, and I've taught others who have progressed well academically. Transition-wise it really depends on the kid.

Like any school it's a gamble. Go and visit like you would any school and see if you get a good vibe etc.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:49 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,

As a teacher in a regular state school I had a boy join my class from Perth Montessori this year. He couldn't write his own name, and he was at an age where he should have been able to write in sentences. He REALLY struggled, and his parents attributed it to everything being so child-initiated, that he never chose to complete the literacy learning related activities. They were very unhappy with the education there, and although they said there were few discipline/behaviour problems the children were allowed to flit between activities and they felt there wasn't an emphasis on reading/writing.

Saying that his sister was better than fine, and I've taught others who have progressed well academically. Transition-wise it really depends on the kid.

Like any school it's a gamble. Go and visit like you would any school and see if you get a good vibe etc.
How have you found the children from Reggio programs?