Money Worries

Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice
Default Money Worries

We are just about to put our house on the market and are concerned we won't get as much for it as we would like which could mean we would be coming to Oz with possibly only £15,000 - £20,000. Is this an unrealistic amount to emmigrate with? Any advice appreciated.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Money Worries

What is the money for, ie: do you have to pay for visas and flights etc, are you buying or renting in oz, have you got jobs lined up?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice

The money would be for a rental, car and to see us through the first few weeks and hopefully have enough to put towards a deposit when we eventually want to buy a place. No jobs set up at the moment as we don't know how long our house will take to sell.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

nicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the roughnicola27 is a jewel in the rough

Well we havent budgeted for the deposit on the house part, but we will be going over with less than yourseves for 4 of us. I think you'll be just fine. Especially if you take into consideration the first time buyers loan of about $24k.
Sorry I couldnt help much more
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks feel a bit better now, just need to get the house sold thats going to be the hard part. We can't wait to get to Oz. When are you going? And where are you going?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Del-Jo
Thanks feel a bit better now, just need to get the house sold thats going to be the hard part. We can't wait to get to Oz. When are you going? And where are you going?
Weve had our house on the market since last june and lowered it twice! still no joy but im hoping spring will bring them to the door?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ronnie98
Weve had our house on the market since last june and lowered it twice! still no joy but im hoping spring will bring them to the door?
OMG!! We will be putting our house on the market in the next few months. Dreading it taking ages....last time we had it on the market we put it up for sale on the Wednesday and had an almost full price offer by the Friday!!! Then it all went t**s up! Bet it won't be that easy this time round though
Lou xx
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

We are going to Queensland, looking at the noosa area as we have friends there. Think its going to be a couple of yrs before we get there not only am I wishing the days away but the hours aswell, lol. We cant wait. Where you heading to yourselves?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:23 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
Well we havent budgeted for the deposit on the house part, but we will be going over with less than yourseves for 4 of us. I think you'll be just fine. Especially if you take into consideration the first time buyers loan of about $24k.
Just a word of warning - there is no such thing as a first home buyers LOAN.
It is basically a $ amount provided by the government which generally (I believe) gets paid to your mortgage provider/solicitor direct at the relevant time.

Also there are 2 levels, $14,000 and $21,000 (I think). If eligible, you would get the $14k if you bought an existing house, and the higher amount only if you BUILD a new house.

Finally, these figures have been temporarily increased by the government to assist the economy, and are due to return to their previous (and significantly lower) levels around June time (IIRC).

You would not have much left over from the grant after paying all the various fees and charges associated with property purchase.

Good luck.

edit - there are others who may be able to provide more specific figures/dates than etc than the above, however you should check it out for yourselves. Also, you only get the grant if you are PR or citizen and have not owned a home in Oz before.

Last edited by stevemich; Mar 4th 2009 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:45 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

What Stevemich says is correct. And be very aware that the job market here is deteriorating very rapidly. The whole economy is really kept afloat by commodity exports and they have dropped like a stone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see unemployment hitting all time highs by the middle of the year. Just be careful before you burn your boat.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

The money would be for a rental, car and to see us through the first few weeks and hopefully have enough to put towards a deposit when we eventually want to buy a place. No jobs set up at the moment as we don't know how long our house will take to sell.
If you are renting, this generally means a 6 or more likely a 12 month lease. Depending on the car you need, you will be spending a fair bit, plus insurance, plus a rental property will need a bond (1-1.5 months rent) plus the rent itself up front, plus the bills and setting up things in your name. It all costs, plus there is living as well...

At that rate you may have about $10,000 as a deposit on a house, and you need a 10% deposit on many places here to secure them, so $100k will not get you much in the way of housing.

Just be prepared that costs mount. We came here with about £20k, and now spend $3000 a month rental (4 bed house), $10,000 on a 2003 Falcon wagon, $4,500 needed for the bond, plus no job so two months rent up front (so that was $6,000). $500 for car insurance. Plus bills, food....

That was $11,000 up front before we even moved into a house...

Just be conscious of the costs and be relaistic...
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola27
If you cannot base your answer on fact why give an answer at all as I expect you are only trying to kid yourself.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:58 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevemich
Just a word of warning - there is no such thing as a first home buyers LOAN.
It is basically a $ amount provided by the government which generally (I believe) gets paid to your mortgage provider/solicitor direct at the relevant time.

Also there are 2 levels, $14,000 and $21,000 (I think). If eligible, you would get the $14k if you bought an existing house, and the higher amount only if you BUILD a new house.

Finally, these figures have been temporarily increased by the government to assist the economy, and are due to return to their previous (and significantly lower) levels around June time (IIRC).

You would not have much left over from the grant after paying all the various fees and charges associated with property purchase.

Good luck.

edit - there are others who may be able to provide more specific figures/dates than etc than the above, however you should check it out for yourselves. Also, you only get the grant if you are PR or citizen and have not owned a home in Oz before.
The grant ends on 30th June, so if you rae only just at the house selling point i am presuming you aren't going to be in a position to buy by then. It will then go back to $7000....which MIGHT just cover buying costs.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
What Stevemich says is correct. And be very aware that the job market here is deteriorating very rapidly. The whole economy is really kept afloat by commodity exports and they have dropped like a stone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see unemployment hitting all time highs by the middle of the year. Just be careful before you burn your boat.
i just hope they listen to you.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betsyboob
The grant ends on 30th June, so if you rae only just at the house selling point i am presuming you aren't going to be in a position to buy by then. It will then go back to $7000....which MIGHT just cover buying costs.
thanks for saving me the time exactly as i was thinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.