British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Money transfer - cash, draft or account. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/money-transfer-cash-draft-account-222721/)

irishmolly Apr 6th 2004 10:06 pm

Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Hi,

Apart from setting up migrant account with Comm Bank in London or HSBC on the web - is there any other way or transfering or taking funds to Oz ? :confused:

Were in the EURO zone and if we set up with Comm Bank or HSBC we are charges twice: 1) EURO to GBP - 2) GBP to AuD.

Has anyone ever taken a bank draft (333.000) or even cash directly into Oz and set up account over there ?

Any suggstions very welcome :)

Hanx ! :beer:

jasper pentop Apr 6th 2004 11:32 pm

Re: Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Apart from setting up migrant account with Comm Bank in London or HSBC on the web - is there any other way or transfering or taking funds to Oz ? :confused:

Were in the EURO zone and if we set up with Comm Bank or HSBC we are charges twice: 1) EURO to GBP - 2) GBP to AuD.

Has anyone ever taken a bank draft (333.000) or even cash directly into Oz and set up account over there ?

I am bumping you, coz i want to find out too!

TrickyTree Apr 7th 2004 8:29 am

I thought you were only allowed to take in a small amount of cash into the country when you arrive (remember seeing something at the airport).

Sorry its so vague but something just stirred in my head.

And a bit of a bump for you.

TT

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Kiwipaul Apr 7th 2004 8:36 am

Originally posted by TrickyTree
I thought you were only allowed to take in a small amount of cash into the country when you arrive (remember seeing something at the airport).

Sorry its so vague but something just stirred in my head.

And a bit of a bump for you.

TT
You can bring as much as you like but anything over (I think) $10,000 you have to declare to customs, so they might ask you a few pertinent questions.

Whenever I want to transfer money I just send a letter or fax to my bank with the ammount and destination bank and account no.

Banks require a physical request so my banks won't accept e-mails or phone requests.

Do a search as other people use differnet methods.

bondipom Apr 7th 2004 8:39 am

First avoid the CBA as they charge you at every turn. Most people here are heading for the HSBC online savings account as they seem to be the only ones not charging a monthly fee.

You can bring in as much as you want but you must declare amounts of more than $10,000 cash.

To wire money you must have an account to wire to. An alternative is to get your bank to make out an IMO to you although it took 2 weeks for my one to clear.

BTW AUSTRAC is informed of all international transactions over $10,000.