Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:06 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Hi,

Apart from setting up migrant account with Comm Bank in London or HSBC on the web - is there any other way or transfering or taking funds to Oz ?

Were in the EURO zone and if we set up with Comm Bank or HSBC we are charges twice: 1) EURO to GBP - 2) GBP to AuD.

Has anyone ever taken a bank draft (333.000) or even cash directly into Oz and set up account over there ?

Any suggstions very welcome

Hanx !
Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money transfer - cash, draft or account.

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Apart from setting up migrant account with Comm Bank in London or HSBC on the web - is there any other way or transfering or taking funds to Oz ?

Were in the EURO zone and if we set up with Comm Bank or HSBC we are charges twice: 1) EURO to GBP - 2) GBP to AuD.

Has anyone ever taken a bank draft (333.000) or even cash directly into Oz and set up account over there ?

Hanx !

I am bumping you, coz i want to find out too!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:29 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were only allowed to take in a small amount of cash into the country when you arrive (remember seeing something at the airport).

Sorry its so vague but something just stirred in my head.

And a bit of a bump for you.

TT

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Hanx !
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by TrickyTree
I thought you were only allowed to take in a small amount of cash into the country when you arrive (remember seeing something at the airport).

Sorry its so vague but something just stirred in my head.

And a bit of a bump for you.

TT
You can bring as much as you like but anything over (I think) $10,000 you have to declare to customs, so they might ask you a few pertinent questions.

Whenever I want to transfer money I just send a letter or fax to my bank with the ammount and destination bank and account no.

Banks require a physical request so my banks won't accept e-mails or phone requests.

Do a search as other people use differnet methods.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

First avoid the CBA as they charge you at every turn. Most people here are heading for the HSBC online savings account as they seem to be the only ones not charging a monthly fee.

You can bring in as much as you want but you must declare amounts of more than $10,000 cash.

To wire money you must have an account to wire to. An alternative is to get your bank to make out an IMO to you although it took 2 weeks for my one to clear.

BTW AUSTRAC is informed of all international transactions over $10,000.