Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money question - tax on house sale funds

Money question - tax on house sale funds

Old May 23rd 2006, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Money question - tax on house sale funds

I'm about to exchange the money from my house sale for Aussie Dollars. The money has been sitting in our bank account in the UK. We have been here for 4 months and will probably buy a house very soon. I have still been paying UK tax on the money in England (could not settle at first and thought we might return to UK). When I declare it to the Aussie tax office will they still tax me on it even though I have been paying the tax in the UK? Thanks
Old May 24th 2006, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Money question - tax on house sale funds

Yes, given that you are now resident in Australia you are taxed on your world wide income. However, you will get a credit in your Australian tax return for tax paid in the UK - so, no "doubling up".
Old May 24th 2006, 2:34 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by redmini
I'm about to exchange the money from my house sale for Aussie Dollars. The money has been sitting in our bank account in the UK. We have been here for 4 months and will probably buy a house very soon. I have still been paying UK tax on the money in England (could not settle at first and thought we might return to UK). When I declare it to the Aussie tax office will they still tax me on it even though I have been paying the tax in the UK? Thanks
In addition to what Fardell said, you can also speak to either the bank in the UK or the Inland Revenue and get a form that means that you don't ay the tax on the interest earned cause you live abroard. Why go through the hassle of having to claim the tax back when you can just have it untaxed in the first place

There are 2 forms that can be filled out either a P85 or a P105 depending on the situation more info can be found at the following. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

Graham
Old May 24th 2006, 3:16 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by redmini
One thing you may need to look at is whether you will have made a foreign exchange gain. See thread below
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=forex+gain

4 months ago the exchange rate was about 2.3 whereas it's now nearly 2.5 so I would have thought that you might be liable to tax on the gain. Maybe worth getting expert advice?

BTW I'm jealous - we've been here 4 months and moved all our money across at 2.3!