Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money needed for 18 year old back-packing on a WHVissa

Money needed for 18 year old back-packing on a WHVissa

Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all
Default Money needed for 18 year old back-packing on a WHVissa

Hi again folks

Some of youu may know that my son who is 18 is wanting to go back-packing round Oz for a year. My ex - his dad is concerned that he wont be taking enough money with him - he will be taking about £2000 GBP. My sons mate is already in Perth - Ben (my son) is a very quiet person and his dad is concerned that this will prevent him getting a job. My ex-bruv who moved to QLD as a family of 5 a few months ago says that Ben should take at least £4000 GBP - please could someone give me some advice on this - I dont wont my son going thousands of miles away and not being able or mature enough to handle the reality of it all!!!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Money needed for 18 year old back-packing on a WHVissa

i travelled oz for a year back in 2003-4, just asked my mum as her and my dad funded me and my brothers trip, and she says we had 6 maybe 7 grand EACH- excluding flights(i didnt even know it was that much..lol, they used to just pay it in monthly so was hard to keep track)
i didnt work though and we didnt stay in hostels either (rented apartments/flats) so had a pretty good time..lol

i would agree with your brother that 4 grand is more realistic amount.

kelly
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:23 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously the more money the better, but completely depends on whether he'll work or not.

I spent a year and a bit travelling through india, se asia and on to Australia for 9m with less than 2k (in 2001/2 though - and ex flights), but I worked in Oz.

Just think about it in $ terms. That £2k works out to about $12 a day. That's not enough. Double that is still not enough really unless they really economise as a pair. He'll need to get a job at some point. There's always work for backpackers and it doesn't have to be a 'sociable' job if he's shy, although I'd say this could be exactly what he needs to open up a little more and gain some more self confidence (like a lot of people who went travelling - inc me).

Oh, and the major point I wanted to make is that whatever the money or personality don't worry he'll be fine. Travelling really throws you into the mixer and it's almost impossible to avoid meeting people and having a great time. When you're having fun you tend to do whatever it takes to keep that going.

Last edited by MTPockets; Dec 17th 2008 at 1:37 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Obviously the more money the better, but completely depends on whether he'll work or not.

I spent a year and a bit travelling through india, se asia and on to Australia for 9m with less than 2k (in 2001/2 though - and ex flights), but I worked in Oz.

Just think about it in $ terms. That £2k works out to about $12 a day. That's not enough. Double that is still not enough really unless they really economise as a pair. He'll need to get a job at some point. There's always work for backpackers and it doesn't have to be a 'sociable' job if he's shy, although I'd say this could be exactly what he needs to open up a little more and gain some more self confidence (like a lot of people who went travelling - inc me).

Oh, and the major point I wanted to make is that whatever the money or personality don't worry he'll be fine. Travelling really throws you into the mixer and it's almost impossible to avoid meeting people and having a great time. When you're having fun you tend to do whatever it takes to keep that going.
Thanks for both replies so far - yes he is going to work - his friend has got a job in construction after Christmas and my son has been working as a labourer - so i'm hoping he will be fine with getting something like that. I really agree that something like this will do his confidence the world of good, he will have to become independent and if the worst comes to the worst he will have his return ticket home!!! I'm hoping all the family give him money towards it at Christmas - which i'm sure they will!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:10 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Hi again folks

Some of youu may know that my son who is 18 is wanting to go back-packing round Oz for a year. My ex - his dad is concerned that he wont be taking enough money with him - he will be taking about £2000 GBP. My sons mate is already in Perth - Ben (my son) is a very quiet person and his dad is concerned that this will prevent him getting a job. My ex-bruv who moved to QLD as a family of 5 a few months ago says that Ben should take at least £4000 GBP - please could someone give me some advice on this - I dont wont my son going thousands of miles away and not being able or mature enough to handle the reality of it all!!!!!
When I first came to oz on a working visa, I had to prove that I had a certain amount in my bank account. I did this by transferring money from my parent's account and into mine so I had a bank statement to prove it.
Then, sadly I had to give it back ...
I came out with $700 in a recession and it took me months to get a job. My problem was that I wasn't close to the city. Had I been, getting something would have been a breeze.
Came out with sod all, returned with cash in my pocket.
He'll be fine once he has a job.

My only issue is that you make sure he's aware of health and safety on building sites. Too many young men have accidents because they're not wearing the right gear or they do something that's risky. There are lots of builders in Perth... Aston Man is one... perhaps he can connect you up first or give you some advice if your son's heading out that way?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
When I first came to oz on a working visa, I had to prove that I had a certain amount in my bank account. I did this by transferring money from my parent's account and into mine so I had a bank statement to prove it.
Then, sadly I had to give it back ...
I came out with $700 in a recession and it took me months to get a job. My problem was that I wasn't close to the city. Had I been, getting something would have been a breeze.
Came out with sod all, returned with cash in my pocket.
He'll be fine once he has a job.

My only issue is that you make sure he's aware of health and safety on building sites. Too many young men have accidents because they're not wearing the right gear or they do something that's risky. There are lots of builders in Perth... Aston Man is one... perhaps he can connect you up first or give you some advice if your son's heading out that way?
Basically thats whats going to be happening to Ben - my dad is going to put some money in his account - he has to try and not use it or I'LL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK!!!!!!
The pic that I have attached shows you what happened when when my same son went to work on the building site, didnt wear his heard hat and his DAD (my ex - his boss!!!!) had unscrewed the scaffolding Money needed for 18 year old back-packing on a WHVissa-bens-stapled-head.jpg and forgot to tell him !!!! Ben fell off and landed on an old radiator. So my son had better be aware of the dangers now after having his head stapled. Also thank you so much for forwarding me Astons name too - i'll get in touch

Last edited by Capt Emz I Think; Dec 17th 2008 at 8:34 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:35 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Basically thats whats going to be happening to Ben - my dad is going to put some money in his account - he has to try and not use it or I'LL HAVE TO PAY IT BACK!!!!!!
The pic that I have attached shows you what happened when when my same son went to work on the building site, didnt wear his heard hat and his DAD (my ex - his boss!!!!) had unscrewed the scaffolding Attachment 76419 and forgot to tell him !!!! Ben fell off and landed on an old radiator. So my son had better be aware of the dangers now after having his head stapled. Also thank you so much for forwarding me Astons name too - i'll get in touch
Ouch! Lesson learnt there then! Poor kid.

Here he is. Drop him a PM.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=53484