British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Money exchangers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/money-exchangers-477383/)

AJG Aug 28th 2007 11:32 am

Money exchangers

Not sure if this is the best place, but anyone decided who they are gonna change money with? Cant find anyone offering a commercial rate of over 2.43 at the moment. Adam

scrum Aug 28th 2007 11:39 am

Re: Money exchangers

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 5244024)
Not sure if this is the best place, but anyone decided who they are gonna change money with? Cant find anyone offering a commercial rate of over 2.43 at the moment. Adam

Try oxforex or else hifx

We changed our with ozforex and they were great.

Trish

AJG Aug 28th 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks. Can i be so bold as to ask what rate you held out for (if you did this recently)? I can see this month there is a downward pattern emerging. I was hoping for $2.5 but that may be a little optimistic

scrum Aug 28th 2007 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 5244344)
Thanks. Can i be so bold as to ask what rate you held out for (if you did this recently)? I can see this month there is a downward pattern emerging. I was hoping for $2.5 but that may be a little optimistic

Can't help there I'm afraid as I changed Euros not Sterling. Can tell you that by waiting an extra day we made quite a bit extra cause the rate was so good.

Trish

Wendy Aug 28th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 5244344)

There was a bit of a blip over the past week or so with the exchange rate, it was the best it's been for over a year, at just over $2.50. Just a few weeks ago it was only $2.38.

It's always a gamble as to when the best time to change over is - you're best just doing it when you need it and not looking again :D

alipally Aug 28th 2007 3:52 pm

We've just got back from Aus, used nationwide debit/credit cards and got rates varying from 2.387 to 2.534 so it's possible but where from I couldn't say.

AJG Aug 29th 2007 10:06 am

Those Nationwide rates seem okay. Will have to get one of their cards before i leave

alipally Aug 29th 2007 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by AJG (Post 5248003)
Those Nationwide rates seem okay. Will have to get one of their cards before i leave

We went with Nationwide when Which? Money recommended them for cash withdrawals abroad.... then last year, when we were in Egypt, we used the it and another card and realised that we got a significantly better rates with nationwide as well as not being charged for cash withdrawal!! So we got a credit card too!!

I have to say that switching to Nationwide was one of my better decisions!!!

Ali x

AJG Aug 29th 2007 8:28 pm

Well i have applied for an account. Hope their debit card is visa or mastercard. As i am now officially unemployed i messed up a little bit as i will be very restricted on what i can get.

Edwards family Aug 29th 2007 8:30 pm

We recently bought dollars at an exchange rate of 2.46 please tell me that everyone thinks this is good. I exchanged all our house money!!!!!

alipally Aug 29th 2007 8:31 pm

yeah, nationwide debit card is VISA... Didn't think through your resignation then!!! ;)

Ali

alipally Aug 29th 2007 8:38 pm

that exchange rate sounds OK to me... I'm no expert, though!

Who did you use?

Edwards family Aug 30th 2007 7:56 am

HiFX

goingozwards2007 Aug 30th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Edwards family (Post 5252000)
HiFX

Yep we used HiFX as well, fortunate that we didn't need our money straight away, so asked them to call us when the rate reached 2.5, which they did and we traded straight away a couple of weeks ago. Money went through within 2 days without any problems at all, (even though the in-laws did tell us that we shouldn't trust strangers and they could run off with our money!!!, old people eh!!).

dave99 Aug 30th 2007 3:54 pm

I have used money corp several times now and always found them to give a good rate and be very proffesional :

www.moneycorp.com