Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Money and Benifits.

Money and Benifits.

Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Money and Benifits.

My Husband will be the only one bringing in a income and we have 3 children. We are going over on a 136 MODL visa (hopefully). When i have looked at passed threads i get I've seen there is help for first time buyers and renting would that include us, is there our version of family allowance and i really don't understand medical insurance does it depend on what visa you have got if you want to use Medicare.

Do you have to be in the country for a while before claiming.

When will i have to tell child benefit that we are leaving the UK, as i can't remember if they pay 4 weeks in advance will i owe them.

Sorry for all the questions but we are not sure of the wages for my husband in OZ. But we think there will be a pay drop. Which is a Little frightening.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stacey xx

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Apr 26th 2006 at 10:16 am.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money and Benifits.

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
When moving to Australia i am unsure of what we can claim. My Husband will be the only one bringing in a income and we have 3 children. We are going over on a 136 MODL visa (hopefully). When i have looked at passed threads i get I've seen there is help for first time buyers and renting would that include us, is there our version of family allowance and i really don't understand medical insurance does it depend on what visa you have got if you want to use Medicare.

When will i have to tell child benefit that we are leaving the UK, as i can't remember if they pay 4 weeks in advance will i owe them.

Sorry for all the questions but we are not sure of the wages for my husband in OZ. But we think there will be a pay drop. Which is a Little frightening.

Stacey xx
Hi Stacey

I've not looked into what you can get in Australia at all, so can't help there. But I have been in contact with the Family Allowance people and was told to ring them when I had a moving date and they would work out how much they owed up to that date and pay it to me before we went. She said to give as much notice as possible.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:23 am
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

When moving to Australia i am unsure of what we can claim. My Husband will be the only one bringing in a income and we have 3 children. We are going over on a 136 MODL visa (hopefully). When i have looked at passed threads i get I've seen there is help for first time buyers and renting would that include us, is there our version of family allowance and i really don't understand medical insurance does it depend on what visa you have got if you want to use Medicare.

Stacey xx
Yes there is a version of family allowance in Oz and Permanent Residents do qualify http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...006_0602en.pdf
And as a PR you are entitled to Medicare as soon as you arrive - As far as I understand it you have to visit Centrelink and get a card
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey xx
Hi,

Yes you can claim something imilar to family allowance like said above - I didn't realise this and made a back claim recently for the last 18 months - and have just got the money.

They also take into account any rental monies paid.

Medicre covers most stuff - but I have taken out a small insurance for dental and hospital ambulance cover - as if (God hope not) you get taken to hospital by ambulance - they can charge you quite a bit - so habing this basic cover is a good idea.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear

Medicre covers most stuff - but I have taken out a small insurance for dental and hospital ambulance cover - as if (God hope not) you get taken to hospital by ambulance - they can charge you quite a bit - so habing this basic cover is a good idea.
This can vary from state to state - I only know about Qld, but here the ambulance cover is put on your electric bill so you have to pay it.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:17 pm
yeah but no but

glennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of lightglennandkate is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This can vary from state to state - I only know about Qld, but here the ambulance cover is put on your electric bill so you have to pay it.
Electric bill How does that work out ???
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:51 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I thought you couldn't obtain benefits for at least 2 years? That way stops people moving over and living off the state for the first 2 years. I may be wrong
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

My Husband will be the only one bringing in a income and we have 3 children. We are going over on a 136 MODL visa (hopefully). When i have looked at passed threads i get I've seen there is help for first time buyers and renting would that include us, is there our version of family allowance and i really don't understand medical insurance does it depend on what visa you have got if you want to use Medicare.

Stacey xx
If you have kids, you can claim Family Tax benefit straightaway on arrival in Aus. There are two types A and B - B is where they will pay you rent assistance and this is means tested. Unfortunately though they take into account your UK income for the current tax year i.e. from 1st July 2005. This meant that we didn't qualify for Part B and Rent Assistance despite having bugger all income in Aus

The best time to emigrate from that point of view is shortly after 30th June when you get into the next tax year. (Waiting now with bated breath for people to accuse me of being a sponger!)

We get $44.10 every 2 weeks for one child for Family Tax Benefit part A.

Incidentally we are still getting Child Tax Benefit from the IR despite telling them til we're blue in the face that we've emigrated. I thought that the payments might stop after the new tax year in the UK but they've actually increased them
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
If you have kids, you can claim Family Tax benefit straightaway on arrival in Aus. There are two types A and B - B is where they will pay you rent assistance and this is means tested. Unfortunately though they take into account your UK income for the current tax year i.e. from 1st July 2005. This meant that we didn't qualify for Part B and Rent Assistance despite having bugger all income in Aus

The best time to emigrate from that point of view is shortly after 30th June when you get into the next tax year. (Waiting now with bated breath for people to accuse me of being a sponger!)

We get $44.10 every 2 weeks for one child for Family Tax Benefit part A.

Incidentally we are still getting Child Tax Benefit from the IR despite telling them til we're blue in the face that we've emigrated. I thought that the payments might stop after the new tax year in the UK but they've actually increased them
Snap - we got payments from UK family tax benefit direct into bank even though I phoned, wrote emailed, etc and they had to know we had emigrated - I claimed back the tax I had paid on my income and also familly allowance was cancelled.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 4:58 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

i am really confused now!! we got told we couldnt claim diddly squat for two years???
we were on 139 des area sponsored - is it different rules for different visa types? as i understand it thats what we paid our bond to centrelink for, to cover any payments we may need to make?
help please - would be useful to know
thanks
vb2
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:17 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

[QUOTE=vb2]i am really confused now!! we got told we couldnt claim diddly squat for two years???
we were on 139 des area sponsored - is it different rules for different visa types? as i understand it thats what we paid our bond to centrelink for, to cover any payments we may need to make?
thanks
vb2[/QUOTE

We have been here since last Nov and got our medicare card straight away and then went to centrelink and started getting family assistance which like our family allowance. You also get help with your rent depending on what you are earning. What you can`t do is claim for the dole.

Hope this helps.

Tracey x
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
i am really confused now!! we got told we couldnt claim diddly squat for two years???
thanks
vb2
We claimed on arrival until hubby got a job and we were paid something like $600 a fortnight. Its similar to tax credits but you have to guess your earnings. We only had it for 4 weeks though as hubby soon found a job. You cant claim oz equiv of income support or job seekers, thats whats in the 2 year period.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:53 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As long as it's not a lot on each bill, say a couple of dollars, then thats a great idea ! Over here in WA it's a $500 bill for an ambulance unless you are covered and many arent as I think u can no longer get the $80 a year ambulance only cover anymore
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
As long as it's not a lot on each bill, say a couple of dollars, then thats a great idea ! Over here in WA it's a $500 bill for an ambulance unless you are covered and many arent as I think u can no longer get the $80 a year ambulance only cover anymore
The Bloke reckons its something like $25 each bill (so per quarter), just pay it in with the bill.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:33 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

ah, the good ol working family tax credit!!
its good that you can claim it in arrears (the aus version that is) as here in the uk, you can only claim 3 months arrears

as i understood it, its the 'dole' and the passporting* benefits you cant claim within 2 years of getting to aus

sue

*passport benefits are the benefits you get automatically for claiming dole...similar to the uk system - not sure if thats what they are called in aus though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.