Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monaro not a Chick Magnet

Monaro not a Chick Magnet

Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Monaro not a Chick Magnet

http://news.com.au/common/story_page...E13762,00.html

IF $92,000 is not too high a price for a dream date, any Aussie bloke is sure to snap up a high-class lady with a BMW Z4, according to a new guide to "chick magnet" cars.

The sleek open-roofed two-seater rated tops in the "how to impress test", hailed as the machine for luring the most discerning, gorgeous women.

In a blow for Holden, test drivers said its Monaro CV8 muscle car had little success turning female heads, even though they definitely had the respect of other guys.

For those seeking a woman from the "burbs", or a petrolhead groupie, the Ford Falcon XR6 won the thumbs up.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Monaro not a Chick Magnet

Originally posted by bondipom
http://news.com.au/common/story_page...E13762,00.html
The sleek open-roofed two-seater rated tops in the "how to impress test", hailed as the machine for luring the most discerning, gorgeous women.
My money would be on a Boxster if I was trying to impress the opposite sex. BMW always seem to attract the "wannabees" who aspire to a brand. As for the XR6 I think it would need the turbo badge to woo most burb chicks personally.

I remember Anne Robinson saying on top gear a guy in a messy estate with a dog was very attractive as he wasn't trying too hard. The opinion of a more mature lady ime...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 3:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by evorobin
BMW always seem to attract the "wannabees" who aspire to a brand.
Funny how public perception changes over time. BMW make pretty damn good cars - full stop. A few years ago they were definitely not seen as 'flash' or salesman's cars - but now they are seen (as you say) as a bit of a me-too brand, arriviste, not that special and not for the cognoscenti. Shame, because they are superbly engineered cars - I'm not a petrol-head but I've got a wee BMW tucked away in a garage in Europe and after 7 year's use I can honestly say it's brilliant.

If I weren't happily married and wanted a fanny magnet, I guess certain BMWs would still work in most of the world (and definitely in Aus and NZ!)
Old Jan 25th 2004, 5:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

That is what attracts me to the new Minis although they are a bit pricey for me.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

I was surprised when I saw the subject line and then realised they weren't talking about a TRUE Monaro, just the current faffed with Vauxhall Omega.

My wife's best mate admits that she first went out with her hub cause he had one of these!
Attached Thumbnails Monaro not a Chick Magnet-hq-gts-monaro-4dr.jpg  

Last edited by CHnJ; Jan 25th 2004 at 7:54 am.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I'm not a petrol-head but I've got a wee BMW tucked away in a garage in Europe and after 7 year's use I can honestly say it's brilliant.
If you are referring to a 318i then I only hope you aren't too old to get a life. The M cars are fine but all the rest are lardy boxes that aren't evo...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 12:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

BMW's are so popular now, it's losing a bit of it's luxury image. The 3 series is outselling the Mondeo in the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by evorobin
If you are referring to a 318i then I only hope you aren't too old to get a life. The M cars are fine but all the rest are lardy boxes that aren't evo...
Actually it's a 318iS (that 'S' makes a bit of difference!)

Come on, it started out as a company car, for gawd's sake! What would you have picked that would also get past the boss?

Having bought it from the company a few years ago and knowing how well it's been treated (and what a reliable car it is), I'm not that keen to sell it to somebody else for loads less than I know it's worth in order to buy something less 'lardy'!