Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Monarchy of Republic for Oz

View Poll Results: Who do want to rule OZ?
Queen Liz
38.46%
President Bruce
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Monarchy of Republic for Oz

Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Monarchy of Republic for Oz

I am interested to know if British Immigrants to Oz like to be ruled by Liz or would rather President Bruce?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:55 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monarchy of Republic for Oz

Originally posted by bondipom
I am interested to know if British Immigrants to Oz like to be ruled by Liz or would rather President Bruce?

I presume you mean a generic President Bruce, or is there someone called Bruce you had in mind, Springsteen perhaps? Forsyth?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:59 pm

We could sponsor Bruce Forsyth to come out and be President! The only other candidates that would get in would be Steve Waugh or Barnsey.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rule Britannia

As a good and loyal local who fits in well and gets on with all, I voted for the Queen, just like the majority of Ozzies did when asked.

Unlike the small minded councillors of Hamilton in NZ, I like Germans, Greeks, and other immigrants, and their multicultural families, and so that also makes me vote for her and her lot. She is bloody good value for money - you imagine the costs of all that ribbon cutting and kiddy play group opening if done by David Beckham.

She is a miserable perisher though these days. Not enough wars for them now - she is dying to get out of London SW1 and have an excuse for a five minute walk round the cockneys' hovels again.

Always a monarchy for me. I like a laugh, I would hate to think of the alternative, and I am still hoping for my OBE.

Wilf
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:18 pm

Did the natives vote for the Queen or against the proposed alternative?

From what I have read Aussies would vote republic if the right system was in place.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did the natives vote for the Queen or against the proposed alternative?

From what I have read Aussies would vote republic if the right system was in place.

Well, yes, you have a point, but I think this second point of what they would do if the right system was in place is probably the result of street corner surveys and people do not always do what they say they would when it comes to it. I think it is also hard to imagine the Ozzies voting for anyone who wants to put themselves up for president.

I think it will change as the older people die off, so you'll be right in the end I should imagine. I may not live to see the day when John Farnham takes over, but I can stand the thought. Actually, John Farnham is from Essex, so he probably wouldn't qualify.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:45 pm

I am intrigued by the Irish system. The role appears largely ceremonial and the presidents appear to have the respect of the people. If I had a vote on the issue here I would vote for that kind of System. Still the local candidates are dodgy.

So far we have

President Waugh
President Farnham
President Barnsey
or President Forsyth (if we can get him in)

Any other nominations?

I do have respect for the Queen, however she could pop off at any time leaving Prince Charles as glorious leader. I think there would be a sea change in peoples thinking here and in the UK about who should be head of state if Charles came to power.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

President Irwin (Crikey!)
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do have respect for the Queen, however she could pop off at any time leaving Prince Charles as glorious leader. I think there would be a sea change in peoples thinking here and in the UK about who should be head of state if Charles came to power.

"I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away...."

Not me mate. I quite like him too. It is all ceremonial now, so I don't worry about it too much. If Chas had the right to cut my head off I might be bothered because I have been responsible for a small bit of ugly architecture in my time (to fit in with Oz) and who would stand between him and a chatty pot plant?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:58 pm

Originally posted by jayr
President Irwin (Crikey!)

You can hear the Aussies cringing at that thought.

I think Rolf fits in the same category.
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Monarchy of Republic for Oz

Dame Edna
she is already part royal and a part deviant just like the rest of the politicians!
she gets my vote
rach